Jeff Morris

Default Alien Sail

"Oz1" Cappy_killfiled_me_in_asa_What_a_wimp wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:48:41 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

The issue is not whether you have the instrument available when you need it; its

whether
you know how to use it. It its not a matter of turning it on; its knowing a variety of
techniques and instinctively choosing the best. But this is clearly lost on booby.

Ohh here we go, the Jocks tactic, alter the subject sklightly and you
might stand a chance of winning a point.

Actually, this was the only point I was interested in.

Fact is, if you know how to use a compass , it's not necessary to
practice the use every time you go out.

Nothing is necessary. But I try to do at least one piloting exercise whenever I go out.
Nothing fancy - it might only be a few seconds to look at a bearing - but I never know
what it will be. Further, novice helmsmen should learn how to follow a compass use, as
well as heading or an object, or tracking the wind. This should be reinforced whenever
possible.

Do you practice emergency stops and handbrake turns every time you get
in your car...just in case?

No, but every Winter I play around a bit ...

Do you pull out a chart of your local bay when you go into the fuel
dock?

My slip is on the fuel dock. Although I don't need the chart in the inner harbor - there
are no hazards and few navaids - I usually have a chart on deck. I always have one if I
go further.

Nope, because it would cause excessive wear just as uncovering yur
compass when it's definately not required to navigate will expose it
to fading, yellowing and risk of physical damage.

Good God! Don't tell me you still use paper charts in Oz? Well no wonder!

BTW when I'm sailing in unfamiliar awters I always uncover the compass
before weighing anchor and have a chart for the area at hand.

I'm glad to hear it! I find the momentary disoreintation in a new place to be most
annoying. I try to stay sharp by practising in more familiar environments. Also, it fun
to be looking for new things in a harbor I've sailed in for 25 years.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

CANDChelp

You are arguing about the replacement cost of a globe for a Ritchie
SP5 Globemaster. normal lifespan before showing UV damage is at least
ten years and you can have the globe replaced on City Island for
$50.00

Where is this? My friend's globemaster from his Galaxy is shot from sun and
wear. They quoted him 200.00 for a rebuild, which seemed high.

RB
CANDChelp

Jon, passage makers usually open the compass to check a heading then
slide the cover back on to protect a valuable tool. To leave it
exposed moore than necessary is foolish.

My friend always removed his compass cover, even for daysails. I guess he
thought it looked cool until he lost his balance and put the winch handle
through it.
Oh well. Maybe the cover wouldn't have stopped the handle anyway.

RB
CANDChelp

You are arguing about the replacement cost of a globe for a Ritchie
SP5 Globemaster. normal lifespan before showing UV damage is at least
ten years

It's far longer than 10 years if you cover it when not in use. I've seen
discolored cards and yellowed plastic on some. I'll keep mine covered when not
in use, thank you. I feel confident that Suzanne and I can get the cover off if
a "sudden" fog drops on us.

RB
CANDChelp

Your instruments should be available for immediate use at all times.

Bwahahahaha! You mean the cover might slow down use of the compass? Is your
cover attached with a complex magnetic lock? Is it welded down, requiring a
torch to access the compass? Is the cover covered with some type of Arrow Frog
poison requiring special gloves to remove?
You're right, Donal! I can't possibly risk the 1/4 second to remove that
cover!!!

Bwahahahahahaha!

RB

CANDChelp

I even had my GPS switched on - mainly because my log was clogged up!

Good lord. 1st the pinhead says all instruments should be available, then he
admits that some of is weren't working at all!!

It's almost too sad to Bwahahahah at.

Bwahahahahah anyway!

RB
Donal

"Oz1" Cappy_killfiled_me_in_asa_What_a_wimp wrote in message
Jon, passage makers usually open the compass to check a heading then
slide the cover back on to protect a valuable tool. To leave it
exposed moore than necessary is foolish.

Oz, we are talking about Bobsprit here. Passagemaking doesn't feature in
this discussion.
Regards
Donal

CANDChelp

You've suggested that you don't need any instruments when you know the area?
Do you only use well marked channels?

Nope. I've only suggested that a sailor can cover and protect his instruments
when he's aware of the waters he's in.
If you want yours "out" so be it. It's your stuff and your money.

Donal, you appear to have entered the room with egg-on-face. Good job!

RB
CANDChelp

Ohh here we go, the Jocks tactic, alter the subject sklightly and you
might stand a chance of winning a point.

Actually, this was the only point I was interested in.

But it was not the point at hand. Why not start a new thread? You've been
busted badly in this one.

RB
CANDChelp

Nothing is necessary. But I try to do at least one piloting exercise whenever
I go out.

Goody goody for you! We practiced MOB last week, did you? We also played
softball, did you? Did you see T3 yet? You're not even clever about changing
the thread. It's pathetic.

RB