Jeff Morris

Default Alien Sail

"Oz1" Cappy_killfiled_me_in_asa_What_a_wimp wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:48:41 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

The issue is not whether you have the instrument available when you need it; its

whether
you know how to use it. It its not a matter of turning it on; its knowing a variety of
techniques and instinctively choosing the best. But this is clearly lost on booby.

Ohh here we go, the Jocks tactic, alter the subject sklightly and you
might stand a chance of winning a point.

Actually, this was the only point I was interested in.

Fact is, if you know how to use a compass , it's not necessary to
practice the use every time you go out.

Nothing is necessary. But I try to do at least one piloting exercise whenever I go out.
Nothing fancy - it might only be a few seconds to look at a bearing - but I never know
what it will be. Further, novice helmsmen should learn how to follow a compass use, as
well as heading or an object, or tracking the wind. This should be reinforced whenever
possible.

Do you practice emergency stops and handbrake turns every time you get
in your car...just in case?

No, but every Winter I play around a bit ...

Do you pull out a chart of your local bay when you go into the fuel
dock?

My slip is on the fuel dock. Although I don't need the chart in the inner harbor - there
are no hazards and few navaids - I usually have a chart on deck. I always have one if I
go further.

Nope, because it would cause excessive wear just as uncovering yur
compass when it's definately not required to navigate will expose it
to fading, yellowing and risk of physical damage.

Good God! Don't tell me you still use paper charts in Oz? Well no wonder!

BTW when I'm sailing in unfamiliar awters I always uncover the compass
before weighing anchor and have a chart for the area at hand.

I'm glad to hear it! I find the momentary disoreintation in a new place to be most
annoying. I try to stay sharp by practising in more familiar environments. Also, it fun
to be looking for new things in a harbor I've sailed in for 25 years.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.