CANDChelp

Default Alien Sail

A question for you "RULE JERKERS"
Is it wise to obey that stupid radar rule and drain your battaries on a
clear day for a ten mile sail or must you run your engines to charge
batteries and take all this ASA **** about motorsailing? **** stinks the
same even if it has a dumd rule that backs it.

My radar has been OFF accept when I've been learning how to use it. On a few
rainy days it let me spot tugs hauling early, but that's about it. In good
weather it makes more sense to run the fridge.

RB
CANDChelp

Prior to that, I had detoured around the Brothers due to a fuel barge
coming up channel between them as a result of radio communications.

Why did you need radio contact for this? You could have just taken the second
course without a word needed. Hell, we passed a big tug there the other night.
We just fell off and let him pass. I doubt he was worried about lack of contact
as I gave way well in advance.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

Yeh, but it isn't as beautiful as the GG.

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
That Bridge Jon, is the bridge that put the "Golden Gate" in second
place for the length of a suspension span

OT

felton

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:26:59 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

"CANDChelp" wrote in message ...
Gosh, I've sailed NY harbor probably 50 times or more on plenty of boats. Among
them, the 70 foot yawl, The Petrel and the Clearwater twice. Never had the
radio on. But then I know where to sail and how to stay out of the way. Once we
got tooted at by a huge Celebrity ship...but we did that on purpose!

You are a danger to all shipping public and private with your
stupid insistence of sailing blind, deaf and dumb. I suppose you
don't operate your radar either on nice days?

Did you know that if you have operational radar you are
required to use it at all times when underway? No, I
don't suppose you did know it. You are a joke.

Cappy...a point of clarification if you please. I was under the
impression that radar was required dependant upon the prevailing
circumstances and conditions. In other words, in poor visibility or
if the risk of collision exists. It was my understanding that if the
radar is turned on, a proper radar watch is required, but that the
radar is not required to be turned on and monitored "at all times when
underway." Is my understanding in error?

Warrior Princess

"Cappy Kicker" Cappy_kicked_all_over_ ASA wrote in:

Hell, they'd be worn out in 6 months if I used em every time I cast
off fot a daysail around waters I've been sailing for 45 years!!

I don't recall your age, Bob. How old is Susan?

Donal

"Cappy Kicker" Cappy_kicked_all_over_ ASA wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:28:53 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Actually, this was the only point I was interested in.

Fact is, if you know how to use a compass , it's not necessary to
practice the use every time you go out.

Nothing is necessary.

Actually you are incorrect! It is necessary to practice but not every
time.

Who's being pedantic now??

Ease up on the painkillers, Oz. They are making you even more cantankerous
than usual!

OK if that suits you, but what's wrong with sliding the cover down
when you're not using the compass?

That sounds fine, if you are sitting in a small cockpit where you can have
the tiller in one hand, and reachout with the other hand to flip the compass
cover up.

If you cannot reach the compass cover without releasing the helm, and
stepping over the travellor, after which you have a cover waiting for
someone to sit on it, then you might as well leave the cover off (unless
you are on a long distance cruise).

Regards

Donal

Jeff Morris

I'm glad to hear that. Learning it and doing it are two very different things. You keep
sounding like my 7-year old "I don't need to practice - I already know how!"

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
Running fix...... 4 times this year... all instruction to crew and as an
exercise for myself. That's very basic stuff Jeff.

Suzzy learned it a few weeks ago. She likes the nav stuff.

RB

Jeff Morris

"Cappy Kicker" Cappy_kicked_all_over_ ASA wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:49:24 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

You should, assuming you sail in anything other than a totally benign environment.

This
doesn't plotting courses and working running fixes, but it should mean having a fair

guess
of your compass course.

Jesus Christ Jeff, you do all that crap for a Sunday afternoon sail.
Anal just doesn't cover it!!!!

You're saying its too much work to have a guess as to what your compass course is? I can
see it now: "Hey OZ, what's our course?" "I don't know, East, West, one of those - just
sail the friggin boat!"

This might explain the short lifespan of OZ boats.

BTW, How many people here have done a running fix in the last year? In their life?

Know
what it is?

Bwaaaaahahahahhahahahahaaaa!
Fixed a kite pole while running!

Bwaaaahhahahahahahahhahahhhahhahahhaaaaaa!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

CANDChelp

Bobsprit isn't likely to get sun damage wilth the amount of sailing that he
does. If we believe everything that he says, then he is only doing 400
hours a year, in the NY area. This is far less exposure than a cruiser
will get in a single Atlantic crossing.

After physical damage to an uncovered compass is pointed out, Donal fixates on
the UV issue.
Don't mistreat gear just because you think it can take it and that includes sun
damage.

RB
CANDChelp

You're saying its too much work to have a guess as to what your compass course
is? I can
see it now: "Hey OZ, what's our course?" "I don't know, East, West, one of
those - just
sail the friggin boat!"

If you know the area, you'll know the course without uncovering the compass.

RB