BoatBanter.com

-   -   Alien Sail (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16598-alien-sail.html)

CANDChelp July 28th 03 12:32 PM

Alien Sail

Here's another pic with Suzanne at the wheel....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/bridge.jpg

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 01:26 PM

Alien Sail

The girl must have x-ray vision to see through the compass
cover. Lubberly man, lubberly.

Yea...with the verzano behind her and the Statue of Liberty to port, we better
whip the GPS out and sound the bell!!!
Neal, you're a fool!!!

For everyone else: Protect instruments from the elements when not in use!

Bwahahahahaha!

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 01:50 PM

Alien Sail

Instruments are made and installed to be used.

USED for what? Sun damage tests while in plain sight of landmarks?
You REMAIN a fool.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 02:03 PM

Alien Sail

Let me guess you use a ball of twine just to make sure you can find
your way home.

Davis NavTwine, sold at West Marine for $1.25 per foot. Neal has two 100'
spools.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 02:17 PM

Alien Sail

What if there is current, drift or set resulting in more leeway than
you expect? Just heading for the Statue of Liberty does not
mean you are on course.

That's some crappy cappy boat you have there, neal. We bucked some current on
the river and on the way to the Verazano through the narrow, but any real
sailor can detect such effects without a compass for a short run like that.
Of course, a bad boat like yours is very much at the mercy of current, sailing
sideways with poor VMG.
You have reason to use all nav aids to make short runs safe! I suggest
strapping your airhorn to your leg as well!

You total sailing coward! Bwahahahaha!

RB

Jonathan Ganz July 28th 03 05:31 PM

Alien Sail

No. He's right. You should uncover the compass. The minimal
amount of damage during the time you'd be using it on the water
from the sun is nothing. It should only be covered at dock.

CANDChelp July 28th 03 05:46 PM

Alien Sail

No. He's right. You should uncover the compass. The minimal
amount of damage during the time you'd be using it on the water
from the sun is nothing.

Why expose an instrument for no reason, Ganzy? I've seen plenty of compasses
killed early. Even my Radar in the cabin stays covered when switched off.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 05:48 PM

Alien Sail

Also, you might want to consider
making the compass viewable.

Please explain why, when sailing in a known area, under good conditions,
whythey might want to uncover ANY instruments not in use.

RB

Jonathan Ganz July 28th 03 06:13 PM

Alien Sail

I think it's a matter of doing the right thing vs. the need to
use it... a good habit to get into. Then, as with most habits,
you don't have to think about it.

I can't imagine that the few hours of direct sunlight
over the course of use would have a significant effect on
either the look or life of the compass. They're built for
use. Most of the damage caused to compass is typically
that someone washed the dome with a harsh chem or
left them uncovered for months at a time. According to
the same logic, you could leave your sails in their bags
because of the threat of premature damage. This would,
of course, be foolish.