BoatBanter.com

-   -   Alien Sail (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16598-alien-sail.html)

SAIL LOCO July 30th 03 05:16 PM

Alien Sail

His tracks showed how he'd walked around his house trying
windows then started for his neighbors house.

Unless the Putz had bars on the windows why didn't he just break in. I would
have kicked in the back door. What a shame.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Donal July 30th 03 11:24 PM

Alien Sail

"The Cappys Master" Cappy kneels wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:22:44 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:

Enjoy the smug feeling!

Oh I will, all smuggled up and warm :-)

I hope that one day I will know as much as you do.

I'd like to feel smug too!

Regards

Donal

Horvath July 31st 03 11:36 AM

Alien Sail

On 30 Jul 2003 16:16:52 GMT, (SAIL LOCO) wrote this
crap:

His tracks showed how he'd walked around his house trying
windows then started for his neighbors house.

Unless the Putz had bars on the windows why didn't he just break in. I would
have kicked in the back door. What a shame.

I would have left the door unlocked, or used the key I keep on the
back porch.

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Beers!

Donal July 31st 03 10:58 PM

Alien Sail

"The Cappys Master" Cappy kneels wrote in message
Both cryptic comments related to the same thing. Confirming that you
have indeed entered a wind shift rather than just tacking because the
bow has gone down.
To race smart you MUST have an easy to read compass or tactical
compass to confirm shifts somewhere where you or your crew can keep a
constant eye on it.

Can you think why?

You're still trying to play "cat and mouse". I also get the impression that
you think that I am a racer. I'm not. I did a few "Round the Island" races
because that seemed a good way to learn sailing. I like to do things well,
so when I moved to sail, I entered a couple of races to hone my skills.

I've no idea what you mean by "the bow has gone down", so I cannot answer
your questions.

From the helm, I have a clear view of the compass. I can use it to detect
wind shifts when we are out at sea. When we are doing the "Round the
Island", we don't need the compass to tell us that there has been a shift.

I've said before that I am a novice sailor. I'm happy with my position

in
the learning tree, because I *am* learning. If you need to take pleasure
from looking down your nose at people like me, then so be it. Good luck

you.

You misread me.
I taught for many years....yes, something else I've done....and found
that a cryptic clue was an excellent neuron exciter.
I look down on no-one but one who feels there is nothing more to
learn, and look up to many.

Hmmmm! Read your earlier replies to me. Do I give the impression that
I've nothing to learn? I'm aware that I sometimes come across much stronger
than I feel, but I can't do anything about that. I am *learning* to sail,
and I have NO problem with that. I'm very happy to accept advice from you,
or anybody else who has more sailing experience than I have.

Quite a few on this ng who when they open
up provide a wealth of knowledge both sailing and otherwise.

Perhaps you could "open up" from time to time??

What do yo mean by "bow down"?

Regards

Donal

DSK August 1st 03 12:20 AM

Alien Sail

Donal wrote:

I've no idea what you mean by "the bow has gone down", so I cannot answer
your questions.

I think what he means is that the helm has been put up, the boat turning away
from the wind, bearing away... although if it's in response to a shift it's not
really bearing away since the idea is to keep the same angle to the wind.

DSK

Horvath August 1st 03 12:25 AM

Alien Sail

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:57:12 +1000, The Cappys Master wrote this
crap:

On 31 Jul 2003 10:36:44 GMT, Horvath wrote:

I would have left the door unlocked, or used the key I keep on the
back porch.

You need a key to slit the tape on that carton you call home?

FYI, I live in a new house, in a very nice neighborhood, on a hill
overlooking a pond full of ducks and geese. And it's paid for.

The_navigator© August 1st 03 01:54 AM

Alien Sail

The Cappys Master wrote:

I've no idea what you mean by "the bow has gone down", so I cannot answer
your questions.

I think what he means is that the helm has been put up, the boat turning away

from the wind, bearing away... although if it's in response to a shift it's not

really bearing away since the idea is to keep the same angle to the wind.

DSK

Actually I was thinking more off coming off a gust when boatspeed is
still up but wind strength has dropped. Apparent moves forward so the
boat is pulled away/bow goes down.
Many skippers see this immediately as a knock and tack with
disasterous results.

'Many' You have got to be kidding. What fleet/club is this (Holly's)?

Cheers MC