BoatBanter.com

-   -   Alien Sail (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16598-alien-sail.html)

Simple Simon July 29th 03 03:18 PM

Alien Sail

Thom,

There is such a thing as the dark of night. There are rain squalls where
visibility goes to zero. I refer to my compass during the day even in
my Boston Whaler and have memorized the compass course from
one point to another in broad daylight so I can find my way in
restricted visibility. I now know why so many people manage to
get lost and have to call for help from Sea Tow when it gets
dark. All their precious landmarks disappear. Their GPS batteries
go south, etc.

Only a fool ignores his compass and keeps it covered even in
familiar waters. There is always a bearing to take there is always
a course line to memorize. There is always a range to get a heading
on.

Get with the program you cranky old fart!

S.Simon

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Practice makes perfect

Good Lord Neal! Lift your head up and enjoy the world when you can. A
sail across the Harbor, a harbor you know as well as the back of your
hand. That's all it should be. A SAIL ACROSS THE HARBOR. A joy of a
carefree sail.

Don't tell me you set up a plot sheet, check the tide sheets, get a
global weather forecast, etc to run your "Whaler" to spend an hour at
the Pub to have a beer? Give me a break.

Are you still in the process of practicing using your, CEDAR BUCKET? Do
you keep a log? Do you record how you take it out to make it available,
Record the compass heading as you sit there? Write down how many grunts
you grunted and the time recorded. I don't THIIINNNKK so.
Some things. a lot of things don't require constant practice. Not by
normal people

Go ahead and make up a stupid reply to my stupid, but true post---and in
closing I'd like to say; UP YOURS!!!

Ole Thom

CANDChelp July 29th 03 03:29 PM

Alien Sail

Can't you READ posts? I already posted about my friends Catalina and the
compass killed by a winch handle.

You said that the cover probably didn't make any difference!

Donal lies and lies. I said I wasn't sure the cover would stop the handle.
Obviously the cover wouldn't have hurt.

You're busted again and caught in lie again!

RB

Jeff Morris July 29th 03 04:05 PM

Alien Sail

An interesting day.

RB claims he's afraid to use a 20 year old compass because it might wear out or get hit by
a winch handle.

Neal insists he is not competent enough to sail his boat at any reduced speed.

SAIL LOCO July 29th 03 04:11 PM

Alien Sail

It's clearly visible from the cockpit and I rarely sail alone anyway.

That thing is visible from another boat!

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Scott Vernon July 29th 03 04:39 PM

Alien Sail

Oh crap, I left my steering wheel on. You never know when some klutz
,carrying a sledge hammer, might fall off the dock into my boat and bend my
wheel.

Now I am worried.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Donal" wrote in message

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
Your compass has suffered physical damage?? Why not tell us about

it?

Can't you READ posts? I already posted about my friends Catalina and the
compass killed by a winch handle.

You said that the cover probably didn't make any difference!

Can't you remember what you've written?

Regards

Donal

Scott Vernon July 29th 03 04:42 PM

Alien Sail

Wonder if boobs changed lipstick after kissing Moorons' ass and moving on to
Ozzys'?

SV

"Donal" wrote in message

"CANDChelp" wrote in message

You're right. You, Ganz and Neal may targets of yourselves that even

Ozzy
can't
resist poking at you!

You've a new hero, huh?

Regards

Donal

Thom Stewart July 29th 03 04:49 PM

Alien Sail

Jon,

They are both beautiful Bridges. Truly. I'm glad I don't have to judge
them

They are both "Gateways" to great oceans, were sailors dreams come true.

Let's "DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Donal July 29th 03 04:55 PM

Alien Sail

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
Let me get this straight.

I should keep the compass covered to protect it, otherwise it won't be

very
long before I have to buy another.

Nobody said that. Your uncovered compass may last many years, but covered

(when
not in use) it will last longer. Why not go for the "longer" option? It

takes
1/4th a second to remove a cover.

NOT when you are sailing downwind in a boat with a 7 foot cockpit, and the
full width travellor is between you and the bulkhead mounted compass.

Once again, you have demonstrated that you are a complete fraud.

It's lucky that you are really thick-skinned. Most people couldn't cope
with the humiliation that you heap upon yourself daily.

Regards

Donal

Thom Stewart July 29th 03 04:59 PM

Alien Sail

RB,

I think you need to get the Coast Guard to get those Day Sailor out of
the Harbor. There are many ASA sailor identifying them as Hazards to Nav
do to lack of proper instrumemtation

OT