BoatBanter.com

-   -   Alien Sail (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16598-alien-sail.html)

CANDChelp July 28th 03 12:32 PM

Alien Sail

Here's another pic with Suzanne at the wheel....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/bridge.jpg

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 01:26 PM

Alien Sail

The girl must have x-ray vision to see through the compass
cover. Lubberly man, lubberly.

Yea...with the verzano behind her and the Statue of Liberty to port, we better
whip the GPS out and sound the bell!!!
Neal, you're a fool!!!

For everyone else: Protect instruments from the elements when not in use!

Bwahahahahaha!

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 01:50 PM

Alien Sail

Instruments are made and installed to be used.

USED for what? Sun damage tests while in plain sight of landmarks?
You REMAIN a fool.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 02:03 PM

Alien Sail

Let me guess you use a ball of twine just to make sure you can find
your way home.

Davis NavTwine, sold at West Marine for $1.25 per foot. Neal has two 100'
spools.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 02:17 PM

Alien Sail

What if there is current, drift or set resulting in more leeway than
you expect? Just heading for the Statue of Liberty does not
mean you are on course.

That's some crappy cappy boat you have there, neal. We bucked some current on
the river and on the way to the Verazano through the narrow, but any real
sailor can detect such effects without a compass for a short run like that.
Of course, a bad boat like yours is very much at the mercy of current, sailing
sideways with poor VMG.
You have reason to use all nav aids to make short runs safe! I suggest
strapping your airhorn to your leg as well!

You total sailing coward! Bwahahahaha!

RB

Jonathan Ganz July 28th 03 05:31 PM

Alien Sail

No. He's right. You should uncover the compass. The minimal
amount of damage during the time you'd be using it on the water
from the sun is nothing. It should only be covered at dock.

CANDChelp July 28th 03 05:46 PM

Alien Sail

No. He's right. You should uncover the compass. The minimal
amount of damage during the time you'd be using it on the water
from the sun is nothing.

Why expose an instrument for no reason, Ganzy? I've seen plenty of compasses
killed early. Even my Radar in the cabin stays covered when switched off.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 05:48 PM

Alien Sail

Also, you might want to consider
making the compass viewable.

Please explain why, when sailing in a known area, under good conditions,
whythey might want to uncover ANY instruments not in use.

RB

Jonathan Ganz July 28th 03 06:13 PM

Alien Sail

I think it's a matter of doing the right thing vs. the need to
use it... a good habit to get into. Then, as with most habits,
you don't have to think about it.

I can't imagine that the few hours of direct sunlight
over the course of use would have a significant effect on
either the look or life of the compass. They're built for
use. Most of the damage caused to compass is typically
that someone washed the dome with a harsh chem or
left them uncovered for months at a time. According to
the same logic, you could leave your sails in their bags
because of the threat of premature damage. This would,
of course, be foolish.

Jonathan Ganz July 28th 03 06:14 PM

Alien Sail

It's a matter of getting into the habit of having the equipment
ready to use. It's also good practice to observe the compass,
and it's fun for newbies.

Thom Stewart July 28th 03 07:25 PM

Alien Sail

RB,

I really guess it was OZ who brought up the twine but it reminded me of
a use I had for twine. When I teach the difference between pointing and
making good on a course nothing beats dragging twine to show leeway.

Just thought I'd mention it.

OT

CANDChelp July 28th 03 07:29 PM

Alien Sail

I think it's a matter of doing the right thing vs. the need to
use it... a good habit to get into.

habit? Which habit? It's a tool, which we use when needed. A good habit is to
practicing nav skills. Leaving the cover off the compass 24/7 has nothing to do
with that. I doubt Suzanne will have trouble reading the compass after it's
been covered for the day.
Again: No reason to have instruments exposed when not in use. Sun kills.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 07:30 PM

Alien Sail

It's a matter of getting into the habit of having the equipment
ready to use.

It's a time consuming process to remove the compass cover, I guess.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 07:31 PM

Alien Sail

And the radio! Did you really mean to say that went through the busiest harbor
in the
country without turning on the radio? Not too swift there, booby.

Yup!!! No need to monitor the radio 24/7 either. Few boats do.

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 07:51 PM

Alien Sail

You sail a few hours a week.

Oh, really??

Bwahahahahahaha!

RB

Jeff Morris July 28th 03 07:56 PM

Alien Sail

I can see not having a radio on while "away from the action," though I think mine has
been on whenever I've been underway. But in a very busy harbor, crossing security zones
and shipping lanes, not monitoring the radio, at least 16 (and 13 for NYC), is pretty
stupid.

It clear there are serious gaps in your education, booby. You should check out one of
these fine organizations. Perhaps they can help:
http://www.cgaux.org/
http://www.usps.org/

Jeff Morris July 28th 03 08:00 PM

Alien Sail

I'd agree, but its still useful to observe the amount of set on the compass. If you don't
practice in daylight, how do you know how to do it in the haze?

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Oh, come on Neal,

You're pushing it. In clear daylight on similar waters, if you're being
set you tack. The compass doesn't prevent being set. Line of sight is a
better technic than compass offset.

OT

CANDChelp July 28th 03 08:03 PM

Alien Sail

But in a very busy harbor, crossing security zones
and shipping lanes, not monitoring the radio, at least 16 (and 13 for NYC), is
pretty
stupid.

Gosh, I've sailed NY harbor probably 50 times or more on plenty of boats. Among
them, the 70 foot yawl, The Petrel and the Clearwater twice. Never had the
radio on. But then I know where to sail and how to stay out of the way. Once we
got tooted at by a huge Celebrity ship...but we did that on purpose!

Jeff, you're half a man! Bwahahahaha!

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 08:05 PM

Alien Sail

I'd agree, but its still useful to observe the amount of set on the compass.

Every time? How many times can I sail an area before I can safely keep the
compass covered???

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 08:08 PM

Alien Sail

Yes, really.

Okay, Jeff..if you say so!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

RB

Thom Stewart July 28th 03 08:08 PM

Alien Sail

That Bridge Jon, is the bridge that put the "Golden Gate" in second
place for the length of a suspension span

OT

Simple Simon July 28th 03 08:13 PM

Alien Sail

Sometimes I find myself agreeing with you. Practice makes
perfect. Why ignore practice and end up having sloppy
habits? Make all aspects of sailing second nature, do it
right and do it often. There is no better prescription.

I'm surprised poor Ole Thom hasn't learned this golden
rule after all his years of sailing. It just goes to show that
even sloppy sailors can have some success at it.

Simple Simon July 28th 03 08:16 PM

Alien Sail

You are an idiot and a fool. I'm certainly glad you don't
pilot an airplane. I suppose you would keep the compass
covered when flying and rely only on those instrument
you did not want to wear out. That might be fine
until you flew into a fog or a big cloud. Then how
would you know which way to steer when your
trusted landmarks were obsured?

You are dangerous and you will end up getting somebody
killed if you don't get serious about sailing and doing it
right.

Simple Simon July 28th 03 08:19 PM

Alien Sail

It is clear Bobsprit is a hazard to navigation.

It is inexcusable keeping your VHF turned off when
a busy harbor. It shows how ignorant you really are.

CANDChelp July 28th 03 08:25 PM

Alien Sail

Sometimes I find myself agreeing with you. Practice makes
perfect. Why ignore practice and end up having sloppy
habits

There's a difference between practice and abuse. You should learn the
difference. When out for a pleasure sail, in well known waters, protect your
gear. If covering it means you'll forget how to use it, then you need help that
removing the cover will never give!

Bwahahaahaha!

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 08:43 PM

Alien Sail

That might be fine
until you flew into a fog or a big cloud.

Gosh!!! By the time I remove the complex cover from Alien's binnacle compass
it'll be too late!!!

Be a man, you old fool!

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 08:44 PM

Alien Sail

You are dangerous and you will end up getting somebody
killed if you don't get serious about sailing and doing it
right.

Real men and sailors don't worry about getting some poor dope killed.

Be a man, you simple fag!! Bwahahahaha!

RB

CANDChelp July 28th 03 09:06 PM

Alien Sail

Bob, when you use your head, remember to open your fly.

In that case I will expose my instrument, but once done, I'll cover it.
Hopefully I won't forget how to use it!

RB

Jeff Morris July 28th 03 09:48 PM

Alien Sail

The issue is not whether you have the instrument available when you need it; its whether
you know how to use it. It its not a matter of turning it on; its knowing a variety of
techniques and instinctively choosing the best. But this is clearly lost on booby.

CANDChelp July 28th 03 10:01 PM

Alien Sail

The issue is not whether you have the instrument available when you need it;
its whether
you know how to use it.

Actually, that's not the issue at all. Neal said the compass should be
uncovered at all times, even if you don't use it.
Try as you might, you can't change what the thread is about.

Sorry!

RB

Jeff Morris July 28th 03 10:16 PM

Alien Sail

The issue is that you don't understand the relationship between the two. The best way,
the only way, to learn piloting is to do it constantly.

Otherwise, you're just a putz.

Putz.

The_navigator© July 28th 03 11:24 PM

Alien Sail

Did she break her neck? What's with the metal braces to her head?

Cheers MC

The_navigator© July 28th 03 11:25 PM

Alien Sail

In the USA.

Cheers MC

Marc July 28th 03 11:50 PM

Alien Sail

Are you telling us that you made the run through Hellgate without
monitoring 9, 13, and 16? Are you telling us that you made no
securite call at the throgs neck, brothers, or the gate, announcing
your vessel, route and destination? Are you telling us you were not in
communication with the large commercial traffic with whom you were
sharing the water.? If so,you are reckless, but not alone. When I
hail a tug driver and discuss intentions, I actually get thanked for
getting on the radio.

Jeff Morris July 29th 03 12:05 AM

Alien Sail

Passagemakers? You mean people who are using autopilots to hold a course? Assuming its
compass based, the traditional compass is the backup.

Also, there isn't much piloting to practice while on passage.

"Oz1" Cappy_killfiled_me_in_asa_What_a_wimp wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:13:03 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote:

I think it's a matter of doing the right thing vs. the need to
use it... a good habit to get into. Then, as with most habits,
you don't have to think about it.

I can't imagine that the few hours of direct sunlight
over the course of use would have a significant effect on
either the look or life of the compass. They're built for
use. Most of the damage caused to compass is typically
that someone washed the dome with a harsh chem or
left them uncovered for months at a time. According to
the same logic, you could leave your sails in their bags
because of the threat of premature damage. This would,
of course, be foolish.

Jon, passage makers usually open the compass to check a heading then
slide the cover back on to protect a valuable tool. To leave it
exposed moore than necessary is foolish.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

CANDChelp July 29th 03 12:20 AM

Alien Sail

practice in daylight, how do you know how to do it in the haze?

Sure but practice every time?

According to Neal and Ganz you should ALWAYS be piloting!

RB

CANDChelp July 29th 03 12:28 AM

Alien Sail

Are you telling us that you made the run through Hellgate without
monitoring 9, 13, and 16? Are you telling us that you made no
securite call at the throgs neck, brothers, or the gate, announcing
your vessel, route and destination?

Nope, and no one I know does this either. Nor did the Clearwater or Petrel. The
Petrel was professionaly run...but the radio wasn't left on. Why would I make
security calls? I've had my radio on and NEVER heard such a call, let alone
anyone announcing their route and destination for a three hour trip down the
river. The trip down the river is a TINY little run requiring little more than
staying clear of occasional traffic and watching for debris.

RB