CANDChelp

Default Alien Sail

Bob, when you use your head, remember to open your fly.

In that case I will expose my instrument, but once done, I'll cover it.
Hopefully I won't forget how to use it!

RB
Jeff Morris

The issue is not whether you have the instrument available when you need it; its whether
you know how to use it. It its not a matter of turning it on; its knowing a variety of
techniques and instinctively choosing the best. But this is clearly lost on booby.

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
That might be fine
until you flew into a fog or a big cloud.

Gosh!!! By the time I remove the complex cover from Alien's binnacle compass
it'll be too late!!!

Be a man, you old fool!

RB

CANDChelp

The issue is not whether you have the instrument available when you need it;
its whether
you know how to use it.

Actually, that's not the issue at all. Neal said the compass should be
uncovered at all times, even if you don't use it.
Try as you might, you can't change what the thread is about.

Sorry!

RB
Jeff Morris

The issue is that you don't understand the relationship between the two. The best way,
the only way, to learn piloting is to do it constantly.

Otherwise, you're just a putz.

Putz.

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
The issue is not whether you have the instrument available when you need it;
its whether
you know how to use it.

Actually, that's not the issue at all. Neal said the compass should be
uncovered at all times, even if you don't use it.
Try as you might, you can't change what the thread is about.

Sorry!

RB

The_navigator©

Did she break her neck? What's with the metal braces to her head?

Cheers MC

CANDChelp wrote:
Here's another pic with Suzanne at the wheel....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/bridge.jpg

RB

The_navigator©

In the USA.

Cheers MC

Thom Stewart wrote:
That Bridge Jon, is the bridge that put the "Golden Gate" in second
place for the length of a suspension span

OT

Marc

Are you telling us that you made the run through Hellgate without
monitoring 9, 13, and 16? Are you telling us that you made no
securite call at the throgs neck, brothers, or the gate, announcing
your vessel, route and destination? Are you telling us you were not in
communication with the large commercial traffic with whom you were
sharing the water.? If so,you are reckless, but not alone. When I
hail a tug driver and discuss intentions, I actually get thanked for
getting on the radio.

On 28 Jul 2003 18:31:57 GMT, (CANDChelp) wrote:

And the radio! Did you really mean to say that went through the busiest harbor
in the
country without turning on the radio? Not too swift there, booby.

Yup!!! No need to monitor the radio 24/7 either. Few boats do.

RB

Jeff Morris

Passagemakers? You mean people who are using autopilots to hold a course? Assuming its
compass based, the traditional compass is the backup.

Also, there isn't much piloting to practice while on passage.

"Oz1" Cappy_killfiled_me_in_asa_What_a_wimp wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:13:03 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote:

I think it's a matter of doing the right thing vs. the need to
use it... a good habit to get into. Then, as with most habits,
you don't have to think about it.

I can't imagine that the few hours of direct sunlight
over the course of use would have a significant effect on
either the look or life of the compass. They're built for
use. Most of the damage caused to compass is typically
that someone washed the dome with a harsh chem or
left them uncovered for months at a time. According to
the same logic, you could leave your sails in their bags
because of the threat of premature damage. This would,
of course, be foolish.

Jon, passage makers usually open the compass to check a heading then
slide the cover back on to protect a valuable tool. To leave it
exposed moore than necessary is foolish.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

CANDChelp

practice in daylight, how do you know how to do it in the haze?

Sure but practice every time?

According to Neal and Ganz you should ALWAYS be piloting!

RB
CANDChelp

Are you telling us that you made the run through Hellgate without
monitoring 9, 13, and 16? Are you telling us that you made no
securite call at the throgs neck, brothers, or the gate, announcing
your vessel, route and destination?

Nope, and no one I know does this either. Nor did the Clearwater or Petrel. The
Petrel was professionaly run...but the radio wasn't left on. Why would I make
security calls? I've had my radio on and NEVER heard such a call, let alone
anyone announcing their route and destination for a three hour trip down the
river. The trip down the river is a TINY little run requiring little more than
staying clear of occasional traffic and watching for debris.

RB