Donal

Default Alien Sail

"CANDChelp" wrote in message

You're right. You, Ganz and Neal may targets of yourselves that even Ozzy

can't
resist poking at you!

You've a new hero, huh?

Regards

Donal

Donal

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
Bobsprit isn't likely to get sun damage wilth the amount of sailing that

he
does. If we believe everything that he says, then he is only doing 400
hours a year, in the NY area. This is far less exposure than a cruiser
will get in a single Atlantic crossing.

After physical damage to an uncovered compass is pointed out, Donal

fixates on
the UV issue.
Don't mistreat gear just because you think it can take it and that

includes sun
damage.

Your compass has suffered physical damage?? Why not tell us about it?

Regards

Donal
---

CANDChelp

Don't your regs require flares on all boats?
If not prudence would carry them.

Even on the 18.5 foot Typhoon we carried flares and a VHF.A cell phone is a
great idea as well and any daysailor should have these.

RB
Donal

"The Cappys Master" Cappy kneels for Ozzies wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:43:20 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:
Donal, I really don't give a rats arse.
If you are incapable of sailing without refering to the compass
constantly even when in your home waters, and cannot flip up the cover
on a compass without losing control of the boat, maybe you should
invest in two compasses. One for each side.

Let me get this straight.

I should keep the compass covered to protect it, otherwise it won't be very
long before I have to buy another.

You are now saying that I should buy another compass so that my first
compass will last longer!

Oz, You're nuts!

Regards

Donal

Jeff Morris

"The Cappys Master" Cappy kneels wrote in message
Don't your regs require flares on all boats?
If not prudence would carry them.

The minimum that is required for daytime use is an orange flag. I would agree that
prudence dictates having flares ... but where do you draw the line? Do you need flares at
a closely supervised dinghy regatta? Do you put them in club boats in the inner harbor?
These boats are normally used for training and racing and are hardly ever out of sight of
the dock.

In this particular case I was surprised that they went "outside" late in the season
without charts or flares. Nowadays, I'd insist on a radio/cell phone.

CANDChelp

In this particular case I was surprised that they went "outside" late in the
season
without charts or flares.

These people died in an open boat in ONE night? What were the conditions? How
small was the boat?

RB
CANDChelp

Your compass has suffered physical damage?? Why not tell us about it?

Can't you READ posts? I already posted about my friends Catalina and the
compass killed by a winch handle.
Catch up before retreading day old stuff.

RB
CANDChelp

You're right. You, Ganz and Neal may targets of yourselves that even Ozzy
can't
resist poking at you!

You've a new hero, huh?

Yeah...and it's you!
Donal AKA "Target Man"

Bwahahahahahaha!

RB
Jeff Morris

The boat was a Soling. The spot was Brewster Spit, though I'm not sure how close to the
island it was. Somewhere north of "kelp ledges" on the chart. IIRC it was October,
maybe 91 or 92. I believe they stayed with the boat and it was an unseasonably cold,
nasty night.

http://www.sv-loki.com/brewster.jpg

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
In this particular case I was surprised that they went "outside" late in the
season
without charts or flares.

These people died in an open boat in ONE night? What were the conditions? How
small was the boat?

RB

felton

Thanks Jeff. I am not trying to initiate one of these semantics
debates...I am just trying to understand the rules. I thought this
was a Rule 5 issue: "Look Out"

"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight
and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal
of the situation and of the risk of collision."

To me, that would read that the use of the radar is required if the
prevailing circumstances and conditions make the use of the radar
appropriate and prudent. In other words it would only be required if
the failure to use the radar would create a heightened risk of
collision. At some distant point in time, I seem to recall that *if*
a radar is on, there must be a proper watch, but I didn't think it was
required to be used unless the "prevailing circumstances and
conditions" dictated it's use.

I am just trying to understand the rules. I enjoy these rules debates
as they actually provide an opportunity to learn something

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 07:16:56 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

This is a grey area - you won't get a straight answer from the CG on this.

The measure for whether the radar is required to be used is that if you have an accident
that could have been prevented by radar, you should have used it.

The actual rule does not say "on", it says "operational":

(b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational,
including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk
of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of
detected objects.

"felton" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:26:59 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

"CANDChelp" wrote in message

Gosh, I've sailed NY harbor probably 50 times or more on plenty of boats. Among
them, the 70 foot yawl, The Petrel and the Clearwater twice. Never had the
radio on. But then I know where to sail and how to stay out of the way. Once we
got tooted at by a huge Celebrity ship...but we did that on purpose!

You are a danger to all shipping public and private with your
stupid insistence of sailing blind, deaf and dumb. I suppose you
don't operate your radar either on nice days?

Did you know that if you have operational radar you are
required to use it at all times when underway? No, I
don't suppose you did know it. You are a joke.

Cappy...a point of clarification if you please. I was under the
impression that radar was required dependant upon the prevailing
circumstances and conditions. In other words, in poor visibility or
if the risk of collision exists. It was my understanding that if the
radar is turned on, a proper radar watch is required, but that the
radar is not required to be turned on and monitored "at all times when
underway." Is my understanding in error?