felton

Default Alien Sail

Thanks Jeff. I am not trying to initiate one of these semantics
debates...I am just trying to understand the rules. I thought this
was a Rule 5 issue: "Look Out"

"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight
and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal
of the situation and of the risk of collision."

To me, that would read that the use of the radar is required if the
prevailing circumstances and conditions make the use of the radar
appropriate and prudent. In other words it would only be required if
the failure to use the radar would create a heightened risk of
collision. At some distant point in time, I seem to recall that *if*
a radar is on, there must be a proper watch, but I didn't think it was
required to be used unless the "prevailing circumstances and
conditions" dictated it's use.

I am just trying to understand the rules. I enjoy these rules debates
as they actually provide an opportunity to learn something

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 07:16:56 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

This is a grey area - you won't get a straight answer from the CG on this.

The measure for whether the radar is required to be used is that if you have an accident
that could have been prevented by radar, you should have used it.

The actual rule does not say "on", it says "operational":

(b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational,
including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk
of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of
detected objects.

"felton" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:26:59 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

"CANDChelp" wrote in message

Gosh, I've sailed NY harbor probably 50 times or more on plenty of boats. Among
them, the 70 foot yawl, The Petrel and the Clearwater twice. Never had the
radio on. But then I know where to sail and how to stay out of the way. Once we
got tooted at by a huge Celebrity ship...but we did that on purpose!

You are a danger to all shipping public and private with your
stupid insistence of sailing blind, deaf and dumb. I suppose you
don't operate your radar either on nice days?

Did you know that if you have operational radar you are
required to use it at all times when underway? No, I
don't suppose you did know it. You are a joke.

Cappy...a point of clarification if you please. I was under the
impression that radar was required dependant upon the prevailing
circumstances and conditions. In other words, in poor visibility or
if the risk of collision exists. It was my understanding that if the
radar is turned on, a proper radar watch is required, but that the
radar is not required to be turned on and monitored "at all times when
underway." Is my understanding in error?