Jeff Morris

Default Alien Sail

"The Cappys Master" Cappy kneels wrote in message
Don't your regs require flares on all boats?
If not prudence would carry them.

The minimum that is required for daytime use is an orange flag. I would agree that
prudence dictates having flares ... but where do you draw the line? Do you need flares at
a closely supervised dinghy regatta? Do you put them in club boats in the inner harbor?
These boats are normally used for training and racing and are hardly ever out of sight of
the dock.

In this particular case I was surprised that they went "outside" late in the season
without charts or flares. Nowadays, I'd insist on a radio/cell phone.