Lloyd Sumpter

Default Say NO NO NO to Wal-Mart!!!

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:25:12 +0000, Tex Houston wrote:

"Karl Denninger" wrote in message
Shopping for groceries at WM, ex-meat (which I do not buy there); all packaged
products from major manufacturers - the same as in any other

store
- saves me EASILY $20 weekly on groceries.

And to get within that $20 at the local grocer, I have to use my "reward card"
and let them link my purchase to my name, address and phone number.

You use your real name, phone number and address on those "reward cards"?

Tex

He he...I'm guessing Bill Gates and Donald Duck have pretty big grocery bills...

Lloyd

Gould 0738

Not having much manufacturing capability doesn't seem
to be hurting the Swiss too much.

My wife's family is Swiss.
Based upon what she observed on her last visit to her ancestral homeland, few
in the US would trade lifestyles with the rural Swiss.

Not every Swiss person is a banker in Geneva.

-v-

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
-v-,
Somebody else opening a store at that point is like trying to go into
the car business today,

Walmart did it to Kmart. Toyota did it to GM
Somebody else will come along one day and do it to Walmart.
If the government stays out of it and lets the market work.

Jonathan Ball

Don White wrote:

Tell Wenger & Victorinox that they don't manufacture anything.
Why is 'Made in Switzerland' stamped on my Swiss Army watch?

Don't be a twit. I didn't say they didn't manufacture
anything. What percentage of their economy depends on
manufacturing, and what major things do they
manufacture? You don't seriously believe they enjoy
one of the highest living standards in the world based
on the export pocketknives, do you?

Jonathan Ball

Harry Krause wrote:

Jonathan Ball wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

Jonathan Ball wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

Jonathan Ball wrote:

Paul Schilter wrote:

Steve,
I understand your point and you're right, clothes and electronics are
very hard to buy American.

Why would it be important to do so?
Nativist/protectionist sentiment is a bad thing.

You don't think it important to have manufacturing capabilities?

No. Switzerland doesn't manufacture cars, aircraft,
ships, consumer electronics, or much of anything else.
The Swiss live enviable lives and lifestyles.

You're comparing tiny Switzerland to the United States?

Yes.

Now there's a
giggle for you. Besides, nearly half of the Swiss economy is based upon
manufacturing.

No, it isn't.

You think this nation will survive when the only jobs available are at
Wal-Mart or as a software pussy?

Those won't be the only jobs. You are wrong to think
so; you demonstrate you don't know anything about
economics.

Not having much manufacturing capability doesn't seem
to be hurting the Swiss too much.

If you were able to think it through, which you plainly
are not, you would see that all jobs are service jobs.

Ahh, yes. Tour guides and keeping Nazi money safe.

Thanks for the frank admission you don't know what
you're talking about.

Thanks. Switzerland is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to
live there.

I have lived there, for a year, and I've visited
several times. It's an outstanding place.

Jonathan Ball

Tex Houston wrote:

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message
hlink.net...

You don't think it important to have manufacturing capabilities?

No. Switzerland doesn't manufacture cars, aircraft,
ships, consumer electronics, or much of anything else.
The Swiss live enviable lives and lifestyles.

WRONG! See: http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/homepage.htm

You couldn't buy one 767 for the price of Pilatus's
total sales in 2002. Their total sales, not their
profit, represents about $45 per Swiss resident.
Hardly a GDP-altering number.

K Smith

Charles wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

You *really* are a corporate whore, Karen.

This quote from the Microsoft and Merc Optimax corporate whore.

-- Charlie

I accept his personal abuse as confirmation they have no actual rejoinder.

They will do most anything save admit what they're about is limiting
your free choice. When govts start employing what??? 1 in 7??? of all
state workers, what's really happened is you right to choose all sorts
of things has been stolen.

Tex Houston

"Jonathan Ball" wrote in message
hlink.net...
No. Switzerland doesn't manufacture cars, aircraft,
ships, consumer electronics, or much of anything else.
The Swiss live enviable lives and lifestyles.

WRONG! See: http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/homepage.htm

You couldn't buy one 767 for the price of Pilatus's
total sales in 2002. Their total sales, not their
profit, represents about $45 per Swiss resident.
Hardly a GDP-altering number.

What part of 'doesn't manufacture, cars, aircraft' did you not understand?

Tex

thunder

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:55:20 +0000, Steven Shelikoff wrote:

Did you know that Hillary Clinton is a former lawyer for Walmart? That
she was on their board of directors for 8 years and that in 1999 15% of
the Clinton’s net worth is estimated to come from WalMart shares? Talk
about a conflict of interest!

Steve

And the conflict would be where?
Charles

Harry Krause wrote:

I was born in 1944. My wife was born in 1962. Do the math, crap for
brains. And I agree, she is quite lovely. And for sure bathes more often
than you do.

Remember when that "lovely wife" of yours got so ****ed when she found
out what you were doing on the internet?

--Charlie