Doug Kanter

Default Say NO NO NO to Wal-Mart!!!

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

You miss the point. Sure, you can get groceries at wally-world a bit
cheaper..... and we've noticed this with seafood.... they'll beat
the local market, pricewise, but they can't come close with respect to
freshness.

If your only criteria is money, wally-world is your best choice. If
you really care what the food tastes like..... you *can* do better.

Your choice.

With respect to seafood, it all depends on your definition. Any store can
sell what I like to call the "Red Lobster Assortment", the stuff that's
frozen and flown all over the planet, like shrimp and lobster tails.
However, at the WM stores here, we never see the small batches of seasonal
stuff that you can find in any small fish market along the coast, like
flounder, bluefish & striped bass. For those things, I get an email from
Wegman's alerting me to the fact that those products are arriving.

Even if WM carried things like that here, I wouldn't trust it. If they can't
properly handle vegetables, why assume they can properly handle fish?

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

You're comparing tiny Switzerland to the United States? Now there's a
giggle for you. Besides, nearly half of the Swiss economy is based upon
manufacturing.

From the CIA World Factbook - Switzerland: services 69.1%, industry 26.3%,
agriculture 4.6% (1998)
Industries: machinery, chemicals, watches, textiles, precision instruments
Industrial production growth rate: 3.2% (2001)
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...s/sz.html#Econ

Mark Jones

"thunder" wrote in message
news
I would suggest that does make them a manufacturing economy. That
breakdown is equivalent to Germany's, and only slightly less than Japan's.
We on the other hand are a service economy.

Germany:
industry 33.4%, agriculture 2.8%, services 63.8% (1999)

Japan:
agricultu 1.4% industry: 30.9% services: 67.7% (2001 est.)

USA:
agricultu 2% industry: 18% services: 80% (2002)

Numbers taken from CIA Factbook:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

That is the same place I went for my numbers. They pull
together information from numerous sources so I can
get the info there instead of searching all over the internet.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

You're comparing tiny Switzerland to the United States? Now there's a
giggle for you. Besides, nearly half of the Swiss economy is based upon
manufacturing.

From the CIA World Factbook - Switzerland: services 69.1%, industry 26.3%,
agriculture 4.6% (1998)
Industries: machinery, chemicals, watches, textiles, precision instruments
Industrial production growth rate: 3.2% (2001)
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...s/sz.html#Econ

Probably right...but, sheesh, the CIA Handbook?

--
Email sent to is never read.
Mark Jones

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I guess Wal-mart is falling on hard times. The business report for sales

on
Friday for the Country was an amazing $7.5 Billion. A record. Wal-mart
only took in $1.5 Billion is sales. About 1/7 of all the Xmas shopping

done
the day after Thanksgiving.

That would be 1/5, not 1/7.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't trust any foodstuffs or anything else ingestible bought at
Wal-Mart, and that includes the stuff dispensed in its pharmacies.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

You're comparing tiny Switzerland to the United States? Now there's a
giggle for you. Besides, nearly half of the Swiss economy is based upon
manufacturing.

From the CIA World Factbook - Switzerland: services 69.1%, industry

26.3%,
agriculture 4.6% (1998)
Industries: machinery, chemicals, watches, textiles, precision

instruments
Industrial production growth rate: 3.2% (2001)
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...s/sz.html#Econ

Probably right...but, sheesh, the CIA Handbook?

Quick & easy, as long as you don't need a ton of detail.

A ****load of people at the CIA have extremely boring jobs.

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I'm waiting for an interesting expose on Wal-Mart's pharmacies.

A guess: They're dealing through Canada. :-)

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I'm waiting for an interesting expose on Wal-Mart's pharmacies.

A guess: They're dealing through Canada. :-)

Oh, that would be ok. I don't blame anyone for doing that. But with
Wal-Mart, I'd be more concerned about its buying drugs from third-world
countries, or having its underpaid and untrained clerks filling the
little bottles with the wrong stuff, even though they are not supposed
to be doing that at all. It is Wal-Mart, after all.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

You're comparing tiny Switzerland to the United States? Now there's a
giggle for you. Besides, nearly half of the Swiss economy is based upon
manufacturing.

From the CIA World Factbook - Switzerland: services 69.1%, industry

26.3%,
agriculture 4.6% (1998)
Industries: machinery, chemicals, watches, textiles, precision

instruments
Industrial production growth rate: 3.2% (2001)
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...s/sz.html#Econ

Probably right...but, sheesh, the CIA Handbook?

Quick & easy, as long as you don't need a ton of detail.

A ****load of people at the CIA have extremely boring jobs.

I didn't mean that...I meant trusting anything presented by the CIA.

--
Email sent to is never read.