posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction Blocks Traffic

Somebody wrote:

''a mile away''? Now you're just being stupid.

A couple of things:

1) You have never been on Lake Erie when a 1,000 ft ore boat with 60,000
tons of ore on board, travelling at 25 knots goes down the lake on the
assigned mid lake course.

You know by the bow wave they leave as they pass you 4-5 miles away.

2) You obviously have you head where the moon doesn't shine.

Lew

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:02:20 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

arrogant, pompous, asshole named Wayne.

Look in a mirrror.

Moron.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

HK wrote:

Eisboch

When you have powerboaters like Wayne B., who says,
"That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play," then you don't have to wonder whether
there are ill-mannered guys out there who don't give a damn about the
havoc their wakes cause."

I have seen plenty of powerboaters who do not give a tinker's dam about
their wakes. I've seen it in the ICW, and I see it out on Chesapeake
Bay, and I have seen it on the Patuxent River and its tributaries.

Wakes do happen, and on a calm day can travel one hell of a long way. I
have been on the lake and been hit by a large wake, and have looked up
to see a boat that appears to be a mile away. If you made the ICW truly
wake free, you would have all boats creeping barely being able to steer.
If I am not in a no wake zone or 500 ft. from the shore or a
anchored boat, I really don't think about my wake, but I know I am
making one, and yes it can impact on the shoreline and boats tied up on
a dock. If you were honest with yourself, you would have to agree that
your boat does make a wake, and yes that wake has made some impact on
other boats, shorelines and docked boats.

How often have you been boating on the Bay with very little wind, yet
the bay is very choppy from everyone's wake.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

HK wrote:

Most of the sailboats I see out on Chesapeake Bay aren't motoring along
at any knots, they're under sail. And if I am following one up a narrow
river or inlet, I can get around it easily enough if I need to without
churning up a wake.

What speed is the sailboat going and what speed are you going when you
pass them? Even at 5 mph in a 21' ft. you will be leaving a wake.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

JimH wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
"HK" wrote in message
otnmbrd wrote:
Was delivering a 110' boat to Fla., running down the ditch..... was an
open stretch, nothing in sight ahead, just the occasional side channel,
doin about 10K.
All of a sudden, looked up one of those side channels and noticed a
fisherman in a small flat bottom boat.... Oh Sh&t!!.....pulled em back
but knew it was too late!
As we went by, we could see that we'd sucked every last drop of water
out of that side channel and this "Goodoleboy" was high and dry in the
mud with his lower jaw hangin about down to his kneecaps.
Bout this time the water rushed back in to fill the void and all we saw
was assholes, elbows, and fishing poles flying in all kinds of
directions......
Few minutes later we were overtaken by this "gentleman" from the South
who had many choice words to say about our "Yankee" heritage.....worst
part was that his anger became all the more incensed by the fact that we
were all ready in a total fit of laughter and the more he yelled the
worse our fit became!!!
To this day, I'm not sure how we kept that boat in the channel till he
finally gave up the chase!

It would have been really funny for you if someone in his boat had
drowned.

Sorta raises a question though. What is the purpose of the ICW? Is it
an inland waterway for boat traffic or is it a private fishing channel for
locals?

Eisboch

I say........both.

It actually was built as a commercial waterway, that allows rec.boaters
and fishing. A large barge, no matter what they do, will have a major
impact on rec.boaters, fishing from the shore and small boats, and on
the shoreline. A smart boater will stay out of the way of a barge.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..

HK wrote:

Most of the sailboats I see out on Chesapeake Bay aren't motoring along
at any knots, they're under sail. And if I am following one up a narrow
river or inlet, I can get around it easily enough if I need to without
churning up a wake.

What speed is the sailboat going and what speed are you going when you
pass them? Even at 5 mph in a 21' ft. you will be leaving a wake.

Not Harry's new boat. It just leaves "bubbles". :-)

Here's a good write up of my primary interest of this subject as it relates
to the ICW.
Of particular relevance to me is the "Perfect Pass" paragraphs.

One thing I learned about the ICW. Next time I'll run "outside" much more.
The ICW is interesting and I wanted to experience and see it but it can
become stressful and tiring trying to navigate, pass other boats, pass
private docks, watch out for fishermen etc. always in a courteous manner.
It seems no matter how careful you are, you are occasionally going to ****
somebody off.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...ID=419&catID=0

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

HK wrote:

[...]

Lots of times. The Bay is "choppy" as often as not, with or without the
wind, because of all the boat traffic, especially in the shallow inlet
bays. But "choppy" is a lot different than the huge waves some
semi-conscious a**holes create with their boat wakes near small boats.

HK wrote:

Most of the sailboats I see out on Chesapeake Bay aren't motoring
along at any knots, they're under sail. And if I am following one up a
narrow river or inlet, I can get around it easily enough if I need to
without churning up a wake.

What speed is the sailboat going and what speed are you going when you
pass them? Even at 5 mph in a 21' ft. you will be leaving a wake.

Stop splitting hairs, Reggie. At really low speeds, my boat leaves a
practically flat wake that isn't going to cause any small boats nearby
any grief.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:59:15 -0500, Lee Rayl
wrote:

Ok. But I must say that these wake issues is why I will boat in a Mac
26X/M or a Carolina Skiff.
12-16 inches draft.
Lead the big boys onto the shoals and oyster flats when they try to
wake me. Might get a Sea-Tow referral sideline set up to defray
gas costs.

--Vic

These wake issue are a could reason to re-think a Mac 26. Without
proper ballast, and especially with the board up you'll be bobbing and
rolling like a cork.

Sounds like you have one of these Mac 26's.
Thanks for the advice.

--Vic