posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dan Dan is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

When was the last a container ship or tanker slowed down to
no-wake speed coming up the channel of the bay. It doesn't take
long for the wake from the bib behemoths to get to either side
of the bay and work the way into the exposed tributaries.

On the Chesapeake, they do slow as they approach the C&D
canal.... Many times, we'd sail at about their speed through the
Elk with only moderate winds.

A few years back, one blew through and caused serious damage,
possibly a death. A friend who rides those things mentioned that
the word of the litigation blasted through their community.

Truth be told, few run at more than 10-15 knots in the upper
Chesapeake in the first place. That's not no-wake speed, but the
wake is manageable.

Still, I've tracked their wakes for easily more than a mile.

Wakes from large ship traffic in the mid-Bay has not been a
problem for me. In fact, most of the ships I see are leaving
fairly flat wakes. Even when fishing on the edges of the ship
channel, it usually isn't a significant problem, in my experience.

The large container ships I have seen leave a nice rolling wake.
While it was not a problem (we took them at 35-45 degrees) I have
never seen a trawler (or even a floating RV) leaving a wake as
large. I am trying to figure out what kind of boat, a rec.boater
would have that is leaving a wake larger than a container ship.

Gee, how many large container ships do you encounter on Lake Lanier?

None on Lake Lanier, as I have said before, I have gone boating from
the Great Lakes to Key West.

Sure you have.

Harry,
Do you read what SWS said to Charile and BAR when they were accusing
you of not owning a lobster boat? It is just as boring and stupid
when you do the same thing.

Sorry, Reggie, but I don't pay much attention to the crap posted here by
the likes of BAR and Charile. In fact, I don't even recall a Charile.
Perhaps you like reading the posts of idiots on a regular basis, but I
do not.

There's no reason to believe you have a boat.

And there is less to believe you have a lobster boat. Will you ever
give up?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On 2007-11-12 19:33:41 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
said:

The large container ships I have seen leave a nice rolling wake. While
it was not a problem (we took them at 35-45 degrees) I have never seen
a trawler (or even a floating RV) leaving a wake as large. I am trying
to figure out what kind of boat, a rec.boater would have that is
leaving a wake larger than a container ship.

Agreement that the container ships leave less steep wakes that are no
problem, even when I am only a few boat lengths away (we're *on* the
channel, so sometimes have to wait for traffic to pass).

Have seen a few powerboats throw as high wakes, though, and they were
much more square-shouldered. THEY can cause problems when they pass
within a few hundred yards.

Side issue: Silliest thing I see on the Bay is the mid-size Sea Rays
(primarily) going along "on plane" with the bow ridiculously above the
helmsman's line of sight. They throw an enormous wake for their size
and speed and look so strange with their bows pointing up to the sky.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:32:48 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Side issue: Silliest thing I see on the Bay is the mid-size Sea Rays
(primarily) going along "on plane" with the bow ridiculously above the
helmsman's line of sight. They throw an enormous wake for their size
and speed and look so strange with their bows pointing up to the sky.

And there's no reason for it either. All Searays have trim tabs, and
the I/O models also have adjustable tilt/trim on the outdrive. It is
relatively easy to trim them flat if you know what you're doing, and
fuel economy usually improves as a bonus.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:08:26 -0500, HK

wrote:

Stop splitting hairs, Reggie. At really low speeds, my

boat leaves a
practically flat wake that isn't going to cause any

small boats nearby
any grief.

And how often do you run at really low speed? We

thought you were on the
fast track, getting out to those fish as
quickly as possible. Virtually everyone I know with a

boat that will
run at planing speeds can't wait to get up and moving

because the ride
is so miserable at slow speed.

Obviously your circle is filled with jerks.

We spend some time exploring the smaller rivers and

creeks around here,
and when we do, slow speeds are the way to go. My Parker

rides just fine
at slow speeds, and at those speeds, you can barely hear

the engine and
there is no exhaust smell. It's great being out in all

that air, just a
few feet above the water. You see things you simply

cannot see if you're
on an RV barge.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to take that oversized,

diesel-smelling
barge into some of the waters we frequent...

And my type boat can explore those same streams and rivers

when they are
shallower and at speed.

Exploring at speed !

On 2007-11-12 19:33:41 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
said:

The large container ships I have seen leave a nice

rolling wake. While
it was not a problem (we took them at 35-45 degrees) I

have never seen
a trawler (or even a floating RV) leaving a wake as

large. I am trying
to figure out what kind of boat, a rec.boater would

have that is
leaving a wake larger than a container ship.

Agreement that the container ships leave less steep wakes

that are no
problem, even when I am only a few boat lengths away

(we're *on* the
channel, so sometimes have to wait for traffic to pass).

Have seen a few powerboats throw as high wakes, though,

and they were
much more square-shouldered. THEY can cause problems when

they pass
within a few hundred yards.

Yup, and of course, the big ships don't purposely get close
to you.

Side issue: Silliest thing I see on the Bay is the

mid-size Sea Rays
(primarily) going along "on plane" with the bow

ridiculously above the
helmsman's line of sight. They throw an enormous wake for

their size
and speed and look so strange with their bows pointing up

to the sky.

Wayne says, ''deal with it''.

SBV

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:47:32 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:31:14 -0500, "Scotty"

wrote:

I heard he was trying 'to wake' a small sailboat and ran

too
close to the edge.

Do you really believe that people run around on the water

deliberately
trying to wake sailboats?

Some do, it's a fact. Ask the GC.

Of course they do. You ever hear of teenagers? And there are those
cases of arrested deevelopment

Casady