posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction Blocks Traffic

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..

HK wrote:

Most of the sailboats I see out on Chesapeake Bay aren't motoring along
at any knots, they're under sail. And if I am following one up a narrow
river or inlet, I can get around it easily enough if I need to without
churning up a wake.

What speed is the sailboat going and what speed are you going when you
pass them? Even at 5 mph in a 21' ft. you will be leaving a wake.

Not Harry's new boat. It just leaves "bubbles". :-)

Here's a good write up of my primary interest of this subject as it relates
to the ICW.
Of particular relevance to me is the "Perfect Pass" paragraphs.

One thing I learned about the ICW. Next time I'll run "outside" much more.
The ICW is interesting and I wanted to experience and see it but it can
become stressful and tiring trying to navigate, pass other boats, pass
private docks, watch out for fishermen etc. always in a courteous manner.
It seems no matter how careful you are, you are occasionally going to ****
somebody off.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...ID=419&catID=0

Eisboch