posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
HK wrote:

Eisboch

When you have powerboaters like Wayne B., who says,
"That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play," then you don't have to wonder whether
there are ill-mannered guys out there who don't give a damn about the
havoc their wakes cause."

I have seen plenty of powerboaters who do not give a tinker's dam
about their wakes. I've seen it in the ICW, and I see it out on
Chesapeake Bay, and I have seen it on the Patuxent River and its
tributaries.

Wakes do happen, and on a calm day can travel one hell of a long way. I
have been on the lake and been hit by a large wake, and have looked up
to see a boat that appears to be a mile away. If you made the ICW truly
wake free, you would have all boats creeping barely being able to steer.
If I am not in a no wake zone or 500 ft. from the shore or a anchored
boat, I really don't think about my wake, but I know I am making one,
and yes it can impact on the shoreline and boats tied up on a dock. If
you were honest with yourself, you would have to agree that your boat
does make a wake, and yes that wake has made some impact on other boats,
shorelines and docked boats.

How often have you been boating on the Bay with very little wind, yet
the bay is very choppy from everyone's wake.

Lots of times. The Bay is "choppy" as often as not, with or without the
wind, because of all the boat traffic, especially in the shallow inlet
bays. But "choppy" is a lot different than the huge waves some
semi-conscious a**holes create with their boat wakes near small boats.