posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

Don White wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
news
Don White wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Something big enough to put a hole in a steel ship?

Caught a news clip first of the week where a guy claimed that a hugh
wave, generated by Post Tropical Storm Noel, moved a 100 ton granite
boulder
some distance at Peggys Cove.

That would be some wave...

I'll drive down before the weather turns for the worse and investigate.
It's always a beautiful place to visit..... unless you're one of the small
lake sailors here who are terrified by a 5 foot swell.

Bang your fist on that boulder and see if it is hollow!
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:31:14 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

I heard he was trying 'to wake' a small sailboat and ran too
close to the edge.

Do you really believe that people run around on the water deliberately
trying to wake sailboats?

http://tinyurl.com/6hp2x

wrote:

I heard he was trying 'to wake' a small sailboat and ran

too
close to the edge.

Do you really believe that people run around on the water

deliberately
trying to wake sailboats?

Some do, it's a fact. Ask the GC.

SBV

wrote:
I heard he was trying 'to wake' a small sailboat and ran

too
close to the edge.

Do you really believe that people run around on the water

deliberately
trying to wake sailboats?

Some do, it's a fact. Ask the GC.

SBV

I've seen plenty of guys in floating RV-Condo boats coming down the ICW,
oblivious to their wakes. They didn't give a damn they were damaging
shell banks, or rocking the hell out of small boats along the way.
Justice arrived when some of them ran aground on a sandbar a little
south of where we lived near St. Augustine.

On Sat, 10 Nov 07, HK wrote:
I've seen plenty of guys in floating RV-Condo boats coming down the ICW,
oblivious to their wakes.

Not sure the type you're referring to but the worst around here are
the 25'-35' space ship looking planing boats that run along half way
up on plane. They'd do everybody a favor if they either speed up or
slow down. Doesn't really matter which. Either way they'd leave a much
smaller wake. And yes, they're totally oblivious to what they're
doing.

Rick

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote
Not sure the type you're referring to but the worst around here are
the 25'-35' space ship looking planing boats that run along half way
up on plane. They'd do everybody a favor if they either speed up or
slow down. Doesn't really matter which. Either way they'd leave a much
smaller wake. And yes, they're totally oblivious to what they're doing.

That's exactly what I get here on my river. And I have to believe they're
oblivious, because it's disturbing to think that anyone would intentionally
drive a boat around like that.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

HK wrote in
:

wrote:
I heard he was trying 'to wake' a small sailboat and ran

too
close to the edge.

Do you really believe that people run around on the water

deliberately
trying to wake sailboats?

Some do, it's a fact. Ask the GC.

SBV

I've seen plenty of guys in floating RV-Condo boats coming down the

ICW,
oblivious to their wakes. They didn't give a damn they were damaging
shell banks, or rocking the hell out of small boats along the way.
Justice arrived when some of them ran aground on a sandbar a little
south of where we lived near St. Augustine.

I wrote a trip report (http://www.geoffschultz.org/Log_Page.php?id=980)
talking about a spot just S of St. Augustine where we watched a small
power boat go aground at full speed on a sand bar and then the couple
proceeded to beat the crap out of one another while calling each other
every name in the book. We called the marine patrol, but they never
showed up.

In that same report I lamented about travelling on the ICW on weekends.
I complained about:

Tons of boat traffic

Jet skies that use you as a slalom course

Boaters who don't know the rules

Boaters who know the rules and just don't care

A special case of the above is the Sports Fishing boats who have
important places to be and pass close by throwing up 4' wakes

Boaters who think that they're doing you a favor by going along at a
slow pace, but their speed is such that their stern is as deep in the
water as possible throwing up the maximum wake. I guess that falls under
#3.

Boats pulling skiers or people in tubes who fall right in front of you.

Too many people drinking and boating

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in
message .. .

Boaters who don't know the rules

Boaters who know the rules and just don't care

A special case of the above is the Sports Fishing boats

who have
important places to be and pass close by throwing up 4'

wakes

Acording to someone on this group, it's his God given right
to wake a smaller boat and you should just deal with it, or
get off ''his'' waters.

Not sure if he falls under #1 or # 2.

SBV