posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction Blocks Traffic

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:54:08 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

Acording to someone on this group, it's his God given right
to wake a smaller boat and you should just deal with it, or
get off ''his'' waters.

Not sure if he falls under #1 or # 2.

============================

No whine before its time.

One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:54:08 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

Acording to someone on this group, it's his God given right
to wake a smaller boat and you should just deal with it, or
get off ''his'' waters.

Not sure if he falls under #1 or # 2.

============================

No whine before its time.

One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

Wayne... doesn't matter if it's intentional or not. You're responsible for
your wake. Having a bigger boat doesn't absolve you of your
responsibilities; it increases them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:54:08 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

Acording to someone on this group, it's his God given right
to wake a smaller boat and you should just deal with it, or
get off ''his'' waters.

Not sure if he falls under #1 or # 2.

============================

No whine before its time.

One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

Geez...what an arrogant ass you are.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

In my limited experience traveling the ICW I saw no "intentional" waking
of a slower or smaller vessel by the larger boats, with one exception. A
large sportsfish blew by us and others at full speed, ignoring all speed
zones. I heard on the radio that he was coming and to watch out. He was
caught further down the ICW about an hour later.

To be truthful, I saw more sailboat operators running on their engine,
ignoring the "rules of the road". Not all, but many refused to give way or
slow down a bit to allow safe, minimal wake passing by large power boats.
Most at least moved over a bit and waved us by, but more than a few simply
ignored the fact that we intended to overtake them, despite radio calls or
appropriate toots on the horn to signal intent.

I see more crazy powerboat operation in a single weekend at the entrance to
Scituate harbor during the summer than anything I witnessed on the ICW and
the biggest offenders are in smaller, outboard or I/O powered boats.

Eisboch

"HK" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:54:08 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

Acording to someone on this group, it's his God given right
to wake a smaller boat and you should just deal with it, or
get off ''his'' waters.

Not sure if he falls under #1 or # 2.

============================

No whine before its time.

One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

Geez...what an arrogant ass you are.

He's a 'professional boater'..don't ya know, heads & shoulders above the
common weekend recreational types.

"HK" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:54:08 -0500, "Scotty" wrote:

Acording to someone on this group, it's his God given right
to wake a smaller boat and you should just deal with it, or
get off ''his'' waters.

Not sure if he falls under #1 or # 2.

============================

No whine before its time.

One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

Geez...what an arrogant ass you are.

Harry, there are some people on the ICW that you would have to drift by in
neutral to satisfy. Most of them are sailboaters and local fishermen in jon
boats sitting at anchor in the middle of the channel. On my trip, being the
first time, I had studied up on all the rules and courtesies expected on the
ICW. After a couple of days I realized that when others don't respect them
and give you a one-finger salute instead ..... wake 'em! :-)

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

When you have powerboaters like Wayne B., who says,
"That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play," then you don't have to wonder whether
there are ill-mannered guys out there who don't give a damn about the
havoc their wakes cause."

I have seen plenty of powerboaters who do not give a tinker's dam about
their wakes. I've seen it in the ICW, and I see it out on Chesapeake
Bay, and I have seen it on the Patuxent River and its tributaries.

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

We lived in a house along the ICW for a number of years, and I spent a
lot of time fishing along its banks and in its creeks. I saw - literally
- hundreds of guys in large boats tossing up huge wakes and totally
oblivious to where they were in time and space. I saw all manner of
small boats swamped by these wakes, and I've seen the watercops chase
after the slobs whose boats caused the damage.

But that's neither here nor there. What does stand out is Wayne's
arrogance.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
BAR BAR is offline

HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Arrogance is in the eye of the beholder.