posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

When was the last a container ship or tanker slowed down to no-wake
speed coming up the channel of the bay. It doesn't take long for
the wake from the bib behemoths to get to either side of the bay
and work the way into the exposed tributaries.
On the Chesapeake, they do slow as they approach the C&D canal....
Many times, we'd sail at about their speed through the Elk with only
moderate winds.

A few years back, one blew through and caused serious damage,
possibly a death. A friend who rides those things mentioned that the
word of the litigation blasted through their community.

Truth be told, few run at more than 10-15 knots in the upper
Chesapeake in the first place. That's not no-wake speed, but the
wake is manageable.

Still, I've tracked their wakes for easily more than a mile.

Wakes from large ship traffic in the mid-Bay has not been a problem
for me. In fact, most of the ships I see are leaving fairly flat
wakes. Even when fishing on the edges of the ship channel, it usually
isn't a significant problem, in my experience.
The large container ships I have seen leave a nice rolling wake.
While it was not a problem (we took them at 35-45 degrees) I have
never seen a trawler (or even a floating RV) leaving a wake as large.
I am trying to figure out what kind of boat, a rec.boater would have
that is leaving a wake larger than a container ship.
Gee, how many large container ships do you encounter on Lake Lanier?
None on Lake Lanier, as I have said before, I have gone boating from the
Great Lakes to Key West.
Hmmm.

A while back you said you regularly boat along the east coast, including
the Atlantic.

So which is it Jim Gallow, errr.........Reggie?

And how is that different than what I just said?

It may be possible, but give me a boating route from Lake Lanier to Key West
and the Great Lakes.

You have previously stated that you do not own a trailer for your houseboat.

What world do you live in that one can only use one boat or only go
boating in your boat?

Jere Lull wrote:
On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

[...]

Sure you have.

Harry,
Do you read what SWS said to Charile and BAR when they were accusing you
of not owning a lobster boat? It is just as boring and stupid when you
do the same thing.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Jere Lull wrote:
On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

[...]

Sorry, Reggie, but I don't pay much attention to the crap posted here by
the likes of BAR and Charile. In fact, I don't even recall a Charile.
Perhaps you like reading the posts of idiots on a regular basis, but I
do not.

There's no reason to believe you have a boat.

HK wrote:

Harry,
Do you read what SWS said to Charile and BAR when they were accusing
you of not owning a lobster boat? It is just as boring and stupid
when you do the same thing.

Sorry, Reggie, but I don't pay much attention to the crap posted here by
the likes of BAR and Charile. In fact, I don't even recall a Charile.
Perhaps you like reading the posts of idiots on a regular basis, but I
do not.

There's no reason to believe you have a boat.

Sorry you missed SWS's post, he was basically saying that the subject of
who has a boat and who makes up bs really is stupid, and gets real old
real fast, that only an idiot would keep it up. I am paraphrasing, so
it isn't exactly the way he said it, but I think that was the jest of it.

HK wrote:

Harry,
Do you read what SWS said to Charile and BAR when they were accusing
you of not owning a lobster boat? It is just as boring and stupid
when you do the same thing.

Sorry, Reggie, but I don't pay much attention to the crap posted here
by the likes of BAR and Charile. In fact, I don't even recall a
Charile. Perhaps you like reading the posts of idiots on a regular
basis, but I do not.

There's no reason to believe you have a boat.

Sorry you missed SWS's post, he was basically saying that the subject of
who has a boat and who makes up bs really is stupid, and gets real old
real fast, that only an idiot would keep it up. I am paraphrasing, so
it isn't exactly the way he said it, but I think that was the jest of it.

Why don't you entertain us a bit more with your lack of knowledge about
Windows?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Wayne.B" wrote
http://blizzard.zmm.com/whips/movie.wmv

There are some alternatives to the mooring whips which I've
seen used elsewhere and would be more effective:

Thanks for the suggestions. A lift would be great, but I just can't justify
the expense. A lot of people here use floating lifts, the kind with a pair
of pontoons that you sink under the boat and then inflate with an air pump
to raise it. They look a little precarious to me, with their relatively high
center of gravity. Fixed lifts are a bit of a problem in most places here
because the slope of the bank make it difficult to get a good footing on the
bottom. The water is about 12 feet deep at the edge of my dock, and
continues at that angle for quite some distance. A mooring ball would be
handy, but I'd probably need some kind of dispensation from the Corpse of
Engineers to put something that far out toward the channel, and again I'd
have the problem of anchoring it on the slope. The mooring whips are doing
the job well enough for now.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:29:08 -0500, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

Fixed lifts are a bit of a problem in most places here
because the slope of the bank make it difficult to get a good footing on the
bottom.

The best type of lift is installed on driven pilings. It makes the
bottom contour irrelevant and there is no metal in the water.

http://www.dolphinboatlifts.com/Cradle.htm

In my area of Florida everyone uses this type, power or sail.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"HK" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:08:26 -0500, HK wrote:

Stop splitting hairs, Reggie. At really low speeds, my boat leaves a
practically flat wake that isn't going to cause any small boats nearby
any grief.

And how often do you run at really low speed? We thought you were on the
fast track, getting out to those fish as
quickly as possible. Virtually everyone I know with a boat that will
run at planing speeds can't wait to get up and moving because the ride
is so miserable at slow speed.

Obviously your circle is filled with jerks.

We spend some time exploring the smaller rivers and creeks around here,
and when we do, slow speeds are the way to go. My Parker rides just fine
at slow speeds, and at those speeds, you can barely hear the engine and
there is no exhaust smell. It's great being out in all that air, just a
few feet above the water. You see things you simply cannot see if you're
on an RV barge.

Of course, you wouldn't be able to take that oversized, diesel-smelling
barge into some of the waters we frequent...

And my type boat can explore those same streams and rivers when they are
shallower and at speed.

On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

[...]

Welcome back Jim Gallow..................although you really never left.
;-)

I think you have crossed the line once you start calling me names, but I
really can't figure out what your point is.

The point is that your name is Jim Gallow.

oh, OK

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dan Dan is offline

Jere Lull wrote:
On 2007-11-12 17:50:18 -0500, BAR said:

[...]

*YOU* have the balls to call someone a liar? I may have finally seen it
all. Amazing...