posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

Eisboch wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

In my limited experience traveling the ICW I saw no "intentional" waking
of a slower or smaller vessel by the larger boats, with one exception. A
large sportsfish blew by us and others at full speed, ignoring all speed
zones. I heard on the radio that he was coming and to watch out. He was
caught further down the ICW about an hour later.

To be truthful, I saw more sailboat operators running on their engine,
ignoring the "rules of the road". Not all, but many refused to give way or
slow down a bit to allow safe, minimal wake passing by large power boats.
Most at least moved over a bit and waved us by, but more than a few simply
ignored the fact that we intended to overtake them, despite radio calls or
appropriate toots on the horn to signal intent.

I see more crazy powerboat operation in a single weekend at the entrance to
Scituate harbor during the summer than anything I witnessed on the ICW and
the biggest offenders are in smaller, outboard or I/O powered boats.

Eisboch

When you have powerboaters like Wayne B., who says,
"That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play," then you don't have to wonder whether
there are ill-mannered guys out there who don't give a damn about the
havoc their wakes cause."

I have seen plenty of powerboaters who do not give a tinker's dam about
their wakes. I've seen it in the ICW, and I see it out on Chesapeake
Bay, and I have seen it on the Patuxent River and its tributaries.