posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

Eisboch wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
One man's ripple is another man's tsunami. "Waking a smaller boat"
implies an intentional malicious action, and I don't think much, if
any, of that goes on. I'd be the first to call someone to task if I
suspected it.

That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play.

In my limited experience traveling the ICW I saw no "intentional" waking
of a slower or smaller vessel by the larger boats, with one exception. A
large sportsfish blew by us and others at full speed, ignoring all speed
zones. I heard on the radio that he was coming and to watch out. He was
caught further down the ICW about an hour later.

To be truthful, I saw more sailboat operators running on their engine,
ignoring the "rules of the road". Not all, but many refused to give way or
slow down a bit to allow safe, minimal wake passing by large power boats.
Most at least moved over a bit and waved us by, but more than a few simply
ignored the fact that we intended to overtake them, despite radio calls or
appropriate toots on the horn to signal intent.

I see more crazy powerboat operation in a single weekend at the entrance to
Scituate harbor during the summer than anything I witnessed on the ICW and
the biggest offenders are in smaller, outboard or I/O powered boats.

Eisboch

When you have powerboaters like Wayne B., who says,
"That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play," then you don't have to wonder whether
there are ill-mannered guys out there who don't give a damn about the
havoc their wakes cause."

I have seen plenty of powerboaters who do not give a tinker's dam about
their wakes. I've seen it in the ICW, and I see it out on Chesapeake
Bay, and I have seen it on the Patuxent River and its tributaries.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

When you have powerboaters like Wayne B., who says,
"That said, wakes happen. Get over it, buy a bigger boat, or stay away
from where the big boys play," then you don't have to wonder whether
there are ill-mannered guys out there who don't give a damn about the
havoc their wakes cause."

I have seen plenty of powerboaters who do not give a tinker's dam about
their wakes. I've seen it in the ICW, and I see it out on Chesapeake Bay,
and I have seen it on the Patuxent River and its tributaries.

Isn't that the point Wayne is making? If there are boats, there will be
wakes, big and small.
I've often been out on my little 13' Whaler navigating over a big (to it)
wake from a passing large boat a mile away. I don't stand up, waving my
one fingered hand, shouting curses at the distant or not so distant boat.

Wayne's comment is not arrogance. It's realism.

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Observant, considerate boaters whose craft throw up big wakes slow down
when they find themselves among other boaters so their wakes flatten out
and don't create a serious problem. Arrogant boaters don't slow down.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Observant, considerate boaters whose craft throw up big wakes slow down
when they find themselves among other boaters so their wakes flatten out
and don't create a serious problem. Arrogant boaters don't slow down.

I certainly agree with that.

Eisboch

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:51:08 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Wayne's comment is not arrogance. It's realism.

Thank you.

There are a lot of wake whiners out there. :-)

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Eisboch" wrote

I've often been out on my little 13' Whaler navigating

over a big (to it)
wake from a passing large boat a mile away.

''a mile away''? Now you're just being stupid.

SBV

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Eisboch" wrote

I've often been out on my little 13' Whaler navigating

over a big (to it)
wake from a passing large boat a mile away.

''a mile away''? Now you're just being stupid.

SBV

Why is that stupid? It's absolutely true.

Eisboch

Somebody wrote:

''a mile away''? Now you're just being stupid.

A couple of things:

1) You have never been on Lake Erie when a 1,000 ft ore boat with 60,000
tons of ore on board, travelling at 25 knots goes down the lake on the
assigned mid lake course.

You know by the bow wave they leave as they pass you 4-5 miles away.

2) You obviously have you head where the moon doesn't shine.

Lew

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Wayne's comment is pure arrogance.

Eisboch

Agreed.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Wayne's comment is pure arrogance.

Eisboch

Agreed.

Please be careful with your attributes. I didn't say that.

Eisboch