posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction BlocksTraffic

JimH wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
"HK" wrote in message
otnmbrd wrote:
Was delivering a 110' boat to Fla., running down the ditch..... was an
open stretch, nothing in sight ahead, just the occasional side channel,
doin about 10K.
All of a sudden, looked up one of those side channels and noticed a
fisherman in a small flat bottom boat.... Oh Sh&t!!.....pulled em back
but knew it was too late!
As we went by, we could see that we'd sucked every last drop of water
out of that side channel and this "Goodoleboy" was high and dry in the
mud with his lower jaw hangin about down to his kneecaps.
Bout this time the water rushed back in to fill the void and all we saw
was assholes, elbows, and fishing poles flying in all kinds of
directions......
Few minutes later we were overtaken by this "gentleman" from the South
who had many choice words to say about our "Yankee" heritage.....worst
part was that his anger became all the more incensed by the fact that we
were all ready in a total fit of laughter and the more he yelled the
worse our fit became!!!
To this day, I'm not sure how we kept that boat in the channel till he
finally gave up the chase!

It would have been really funny for you if someone in his boat had
drowned.

Sorta raises a question though. What is the purpose of the ICW? Is it
an inland waterway for boat traffic or is it a private fishing channel for
locals?

Eisboch

I say........both.

It actually was built as a commercial waterway, that allows rec.boaters
and fishing. A large barge, no matter what they do, will have a major
impact on rec.boaters, fishing from the shore and small boats, and on
the shoreline. A smart boater will stay out of the way of a barge.