Default Fixing "Flying Pig"

On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
You don't know what the f...k I know about waterfront property so don't
assume what you don't know.

As for the "lucky that it has .." bull****.

If we boaters would get off our collective asses and use some political
muscle maybe the government which is taking our money and propping up the
thieves who are living, and running businesses there would not get away with
the crap they are doing.

If the government is going to take our taxes, but then let greed take away
our marinas, or block us from the water .. why are we paying the taxes?

I swear; I am so sick of this country. I've never seen this nation so
F,,ked up. We are building power plants for Arabs who hate us, yet an
American in his sailboat runs aground and he is nothing but a target for an
unscrupulous marina?

Why are Americans dying in Iraq? For freedom? The American way? To make
the world a better place?

Well,,, what about right here. What about in the Florida Keys?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:03:08 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

For the good of mankind, and to keep me out of jail ... I hope I never
visit the $500 per week marina. Because if I do ..

You obviously have *no* idea what water front property in the Keys is
worth , or how much it costs to carry it.

All of us boaters are lucky that it has not yet been converted to
condos or a resort.- Hide quoted text -

Good Gravy. It's supply and demand. Here developers plop down 20
million for property thats on the Tax roll at 3.5 million. Then they
build 40 story condos. Don't like it... move. What do you want, Govt
cheese paid to your marina owner to keep it from becoming a resort for
rich snowbirds? Tearing up peoples property because you can not afford
to stay is pretty ****ty IMO.

If I were in Skip's position I would tell the insurance company to
take the boat now, and give me a check. I would argue that the boat
became a total loss on the reef, once the USCG lifted them off the
deck it belonged to the insurance company AS IS. Get a job, and a
lawyer... find another boat and start over a bit wiser.

Second option is to work your ass off screwing plywood over holes,
get the engine running and limp back up north on the ICW until he
finds a yard not in such demand that will allow him to live aboard as
he repairs the boat. Trucking the boats going be very expensive, i'd
guess 8-10K. We had scores of boats in worse condition limp here
(Houston) after Katrina & Rita for repairs.

Joe

I bet the Marina in the Key's deal with the issue of insurance boats
all the time. Work yards make money working, not storing boats.

wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

Rather drastic, Joe. From what I've seen and read from Skip's reports,
Flying Pig is bruised, but hardly broken. "Totalled" is only an insurance
company's description of a boat they think will cost more to repair -- at
yard and contractor's rates, to put back into the same condition as she
was -- than she is worth. A cheap yard and plenty of sweat equity on Skip
and Lydia's part can heal the "ouches" and put FB back to rights again for
substantially less.

On Feb 15, 10:13 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

substantially less.- Hide quoted text -

Hull compression, blown out bulkheads, removing the interior,
ect..ect..ect is totaled IMO at 140K. If the insurance knows he want
to keep the boat then he will deal with 30+ salvage, yard fees,
transport, temp living, supplies, surveys,re-insuring,
ect..ect...ect....then the insurance is going to say the boat is worth
50-80K as-is leaving Skip a total of not much to work with. If he
walks with 100K he could find a nice replacement and avoid lots of
grief.

And most likely the insurance company will sell the boat on ebay for
next to nothing here in a few mo's.

Joe

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 15, 8:35 am, wrote:
On Feb 15, 10:13 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:

wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

And buy the way, how much is your time worth? Will Skip need to pay
himself $4.50 per hour to make the salvage pencil-out? Sweat equity is
a real bargin.......................... for the one buying the boat.

How often have I hearn experinced boat owners/builders say NEVER put
$100,000 in to a $80,000 boat that will be worth $102,000 when
finished.

Maybe it would work since Skip is asking for VOLUNTEERS and
DONATIONS!

How much is a Flying Pig worth after the fix? Considering the market
is already full "ruffed-up" Kitrina/Rita sailboats?

How much money will Skip have invested totally from first purchas to
after the fix?

Add, I read one of Skips Blog post saying somthing to the effect that
his fixed pig would be able to handle 30' seas. Pleae, he could not
even hand 8' seas. To me that indicates the guy thinks life is a game
of Candy Land. From my reading here and the few posts Skip and I have
exchanged he seems a very honest, likable, hard working, and
trustworth guy. But I think he's like that monkey with his fist around
the banana in a glass jar. He can see the banana. Wont let go. But can
not get his fist out of the jar to enjoy what he wants.
Banana Bob

wrote:
On Feb 15, 10:13 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

snip
[...]

Assuming they do repair the boat I wonder if they will experience any
difficulties getting insurance the second time around--more so than if
they just obtained a different boat that had not been subjected to a
grounding? Just wondering....

--Alan Gomes

Dave ,, funny you should ask. I actually have plans on heading for Cuba, as
soon as old Fidel takes a dirt nap. Shouldn't be too long, my guess.

I don't know how much you know about Cuba but it is a very beautiful place.
Many American boats have been visiting Cuba for years. It is a great place
to get work done.

So, in answer to your recommendation. I'm on my way. The hold up is Fidel.
I can visit but staying for a long period with Fidel in a state of disrepair
might be unwise. There will be a period of unrest once Fidel dies, let's
face it .. he has been in power since 1959!

I just hope whatever happens the island doesn't get all screwed up.

My uncle's father was with Teddy Roosevelt charging up San Juan Heights.
This will be a return trip for the family.

Viva la Cuba!

================

"Dave" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:47:59 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
said:

I swear; I am so sick of this country. I've never seen this nation so
F,,ked up.

I hear Cuba's real nice. Maybe you oughta look into it.

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:10:19 -0800, Alan Gomes wrote:

Assuming they do repair the boat I wonder if they will experience any
difficulties getting insurance the second time around--more so than if
they just obtained a different boat that had not been subjected to a
grounding? Just wondering....

People are having a great deal of trouble getting insurance on boats
if they have had a claim of any kind in recent memory.

My guess is that Skip will have to self insure at the end of his
current policy. That could be soon if they decide to total the boat.

It is quite obvious that you don't own a boat and are full of ****.

Please, go back to the snowmobile newsgroup.

=============
"Rick B." wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:49:02 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

Rick,,, once again. You keep posting ..

Indeed, I do.
Finished packing yet?

Wayne.B wrote:

People are having a great deal of trouble getting insurance on boats
if they have had a claim of any kind in recent memory.

My guess is that Skip will have to self insure at the end of his
current policy. That could be soon if they decide to total the boat.

That could very well be true. Boat US declined to
quote insurance coverage on our powerboat in 2006
after I answered truthfully that we had had a
claim the year before due to "finding" a rock.
The fact that we had not had a claim since buying
our first boat in 1986 until 2005, or that the
entire claim came to $4,100 (Fiberglass repair and
a lower unit) did not even come into play.

Fortunately, the company that had insured us since
1986 (State Farm) did not feel the same way. They
were happy to keep taking our premiums, and the
rate did not even go up. Right now, the Irwin is
insured through State Farm, and the coverage is
good for 30 miles offshore (which will have to
change when we start cruising seriously).

Don W.