Blazer Fan Dan

Default fixing up an old johnson

How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
example).

It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

I can make this make more sense if needed.

John H.

On 2 Nov 2005 17:26:20 -0800, "Blazer Fan Dan" wrote:

How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
example).

It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

I can make this make more sense if needed.

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...0002/202/169/6

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD
Blazer Fan Dan

John H. wrote:
On 2 Nov 2005 17:26:20 -0800, "Blazer Fan Dan" wrote:

How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
example).

It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

I can make this make more sense if needed.

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...0002/202/169/6

will those work for the something this old? I thought the water intake
was in a place that the "flushers" would be able to work.

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

Blazer Fan Dan

Harry Krause wrote:
Blazer Fan Dan wrote:
How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
example).

It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

I can make this make more sense if needed.

My Johnson dates back to the 1940s, and it still works out of water.

Seriously, you need a pair of muffs. That'll keep the engine cool enough
at low RPMs. If you are contemplating running it up to full RPMs, you'll
need a tank of some sort.

mostly at idle.

Don White

Blazer Fan Dan wrote:

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...0002/202/169/6

will those work for the something this old? I thought the water intake
was in a place that the "flushers" would be able to work.

I don't think 'muffs' work on my '86 Evinrude Yachtwin 6hp because of
where the water intake is. I bought a good size 'tub' from a local
store and fill it with water. Afterwards, I have to use paper towels to
skim off the oil before I can dump the water. I can see why so many
people are turning to 4 stroke.

John H.

On 3 Nov 2005 09:01:18 -0800, "Blazer Fan Dan" wrote:

John H. wrote:
On 2 Nov 2005 17:26:20 -0800, "Blazer Fan Dan" wrote:

How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
example).

It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

I can make this make more sense if needed.

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...0002/202/169/6

will those work for the something this old? I thought the water intake
was in a place that the "flushers" would be able to work.

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

These 'muffs' are what I use when running my engine while the boat is out of the
water. The water intakes are above the propeller, as you said your's were. I
can't see your engine, so I can't verify they'll work for you.
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

HK
Doug Kanter

"Blazer Fan Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
example).

It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

I can make this make more sense if needed.

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...0002/202/169/6

will those work for the something this old? I thought the water intake
was in a place that the "flushers" would be able to work.

Depends on the shape of the surface around your intakes. On my 96 Johnson,
the whole area's almost flat, just slightly curved, and the rubber muffs
conform pretty well. Are you near a Boat U.S. or West Marine store?

As others have said, don't run at high RPMs with muffs. And, even if they
seem to be staying in place while you're doing whatever you're doing, do not
under any circumstances walk away to go get a beer or whatever. I did this
once. As I returned, I saw the muffs slipping off completely. Ran without
water for just a second, so no damage was done. Now, I wipe down the area
with rubbing alcohol to make sure it's tacky-clean, and I *still* don't walk
away from it.

Blazer Fan Dan

John H. wrote:

These 'muffs' are what I use when running my engine while the boat is out of the
water. The water intakes are above the propeller, as you said your's were. I
can't see your engine, so I can't verify they'll work for you.
--
John H

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Picture113.jpg here
is the lower unit.

I'm a little under the weather right now, so I don't feel up to getting
a picture of what I think is the intake (maybe later today)...but I
think it's the flat section above the prop, perpendicular to the shaft.

I could be wrong tho, and probably am.

Doug Kanter

"Blazer Fan Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...

John H. wrote:

These 'muffs' are what I use when running my engine while the boat is out
of the
water. The water intakes are above the propeller, as you said your's
were. I
can't see your engine, so I can't verify they'll work for you.
--
John H

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Picture113.jpg here
is the lower unit.

I'm a little under the weather right now, so I don't feel up to getting
a picture of what I think is the intake (maybe later today)...but I
think it's the flat section above the prop, perpendicular to the shaft.

I could be wrong tho, and probably am.

No guts, no glory! Get out there with the camera!

But seriously, it looks pretty much like mine. Get the muffs. Keep in mind
that there might be slight gaps - they don't seal like suction cups on a
window. But, if you turn the hose all the way up, there'll be more than
enough water for the intakes to....take in.

Blazer Fan Dan wrote:
: How do I work on an old 62 Johnson, out of a body of water? I know that
: for my evinrude I've used a huge garbage can, but I was wondering if
: there was something like you can use on newer lower units (of IO's, for
: example).

: It looks like the water intake is above the prop, and I don't think the
: same thing would work for both. Is there something easy to use?

: I can make this make more sense if needed.

The headphones like flusher probably won't work.
My dad had an old 90 HP Johnson and it had the water intake just above
the prop, in front of the "exhaust tail". He needed a flushing attachment
like this: http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...ml/page217.htm

barry

Johnson 28 hp fuel pump Shorty General 1 October 15th 05 10:48 PM
halyard fixing system for 14' catamaran with jib? imagineero Cruising 14 October 15th 05 05:03 PM
Johnson 1957 3hp ena General 2 October 15th 05 08:35 AM
90 hp johnson outboard Charlie Brown General 10 October 8th 05 12:00 AM
FUEL MIXTURE - 1988 JOHNSON 6 gary Cruising 0 October 6th 05 12:22 AM