Dan Koretz

Default fixing a leaking hatch

I have an Impex Assateague, and the front hatch has a small leak. Impex
uses Valley rubber hatch covers. I can't pinpoint it for sure, but I
think it is leaking where the gasket on the bottom is fixed to the
fiberglass, not where the rubber cover fits over the gasket. I was
thinking of trying to fix this by putting a very thin bead of silicone
caulk along the edge where the gasket meets the body of the boat. The
dealer says it might require a minor fiberglass repair. Anyone have any
experience fixing this sort of thing?

Many thanks.
Brian Nystrom

Dan Koretz wrote:
I have an Impex Assateague, and the front hatch has a small leak. Impex
uses Valley rubber hatch covers. I can't pinpoint it for sure, but I
think it is leaking where the gasket on the bottom is fixed to the
fiberglass, not where the rubber cover fits over the gasket. I was
thinking of trying to fix this by putting a very thin bead of silicone
caulk along the edge where the gasket meets the body of the boat. The
dealer says it might require a minor fiberglass repair. Anyone have any
experience fixing this sort of thing?

The first thing you need to do is find the exact location of the leak.
This is usually pretty easy if you partially fill the compartment with
water, then roll the boat around until it drips out somewhere. DO NOT
USE SILICONE SEALER to repair the leak. It bonds poorly and leaves a
silicone residue that prevents anything else from bonding to the surface
until you clean it off using hexane, which is difficult to find. Use a
good sealer like Lexel, 3M 4200/5300, Sikaflex or one of the GOOP
products (any of them will work, as they're all the same). Unless the
leak is caused by structural damage or a poorly bonded hatch ring, it's
unlikely that you'll need to do any fiberglass repair.

My NDK had the same problem and needed glass work.
Brian has the idea though. I used silicone on my plastic boat and had
issues exactly as he said.
I found a sealant that worked after several tries and products.
I don't remember the name but it looks like hell.
Brians GOOP products may save you some of my grief.
Good Luck
Alex

Dan Koretz

Brian,

Many thanks. I will try this first and only consider glass work as a
last resort. BTW, I have no complaints about this boat (which was used
when I bought it) despite this minor problem. I have paddled maybe 8 or
10 different touring boats, and this one is by far my favorite --
extremely fast, great secondary stability, tracks well, and very
comfortable.

Dan

Brian Nystrom wrote the following on 9/12/2005 11:25 PM:
Dan Koretz wrote:

[...]

Thats the important thing Dan.
I love my boat but it has issues and there are folks that think it is
trash.

Brian Nystrom

Dan Koretz wrote:
Brian,

Many thanks. I will try this first and only consider glass work as a
last resort. BTW, I have no complaints about this boat (which was used
when I bought it) despite this minor problem. I have paddled maybe 8 or
10 different touring boats, and this one is by far my favorite --
extremely fast, great secondary stability, tracks well, and very
comfortable.

Impex makes fine boats. Leaky hatches happen in every brand of kayak.
Unless it's a structural issue, there's not too much to complain about.
If it was a structural problem, I'd bet that Impex would make it right.
Brian Nystrom

Dan Koretz wrote:
I don't think it is a big deal that a tiny hatch leak developed after some
years of use,

That's a good point and quite a different issue than having a leak in a
new boat.
Fiona Stirling

I have an older glass fibre capella from p & h . i have not had a
hitch. it's 6 years old now and is just fine.
quality of british boats is not bad though ndk leaves a little to be
desired in fit and finish.
remember the impex mystic with the glass fibre hatches. they had a
practice of leeking while practicing in the pool , any time rolling or
in a heavy sea.
it can be fixed but it is involved.
the glass lay up is good though.
fiona

Replacing forward deck hatch *JimH* General 5 August 15th 05 07:27 PM
hatch umbrella Parallax Cruising 1 October 27th 04 07:32 PM
yamaha 4-stroke leaking oil mijoy General 2 June 20th 04 09:49 AM
Hatch repair idea Les Groby General 5 April 28th 04 01:23 PM
LiveWell Leaking mcreda2000 General 2 August 31st 03 02:03 AM