Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

Is this the boat?

http://www.yachtportfolio.com/yacht.cfm?yid=357

Gary wrote:
Roger Long wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

With regard to the right of way situation, did you sound a danger
signal or attempt contact on channel 13 or 16? That is the proper
course of action, preferably before the situation becomes critical.

You really think someone in a an enclosed, air conditioned, pilothouse
is going to hear the pipsqueak horn a sailboat can carry far enough
against a 20 -25 knot wind to have any beneficial influence on the
situation? Back when I used blow horns because I believed what I read
in books, I never noticed that anyone seemed to hear them in
situations like this.

As for the radio, my theory is that someone oblivious enough miss
seeing a 32 foot sailboat directly ahead isn't going to be on the ball
enough that I want to waste time talking to them. It was another of
those days when I was using both hands for the boat. I doubt he could
have understood the handheld out in the wind even if he hadn't been
out on the bridge wing sucking a cig.

It's funny how these things always seem to happen to you. What was it
last time, a small ferry?

Gary

While sailing the lower Ches. Bay, I noticed a freighter
about a mile off, directly astern on my same heading. Soon
after, the Capt ( probably a pilot ) radioed and asked if I
was going to maintain my course. I replied that I could
change course easily and asked which direction he would
prefer I do so. He asked me if I wouldn't mind steering to
port a few degrees and said he would veer to starboard some.
I gybed and headed off 60 8 to port, well out of his path.
He thanked me and we wished each other a safe trip.
Not your normal ''power boater'' story, eh?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have limited salt water experience, only a couple of

bareboat
charters in the Gulf of Mexico... But I have a lifetime of

sweet water
sailing on the Great Lakes... One thing I learned early on

is that
ships/freighters don't change course, even in a thousand

feet of water
and no land visible in any direction... There is no one

looking out
the window, and no one will answer the radio - and if in

some miracle
they did they don't speak any english anyway...

So, as a sail boat skipper I learned to automatically

change course as
soon as I see it is going to be close...... I don't get

all bent up
over regulations, or that as a sailing vessel I have the

right of way,
or that the hired Captain is an arrogant ass... Opposing

a large ship
is like a motorcycle challenging a semi at 70 MPH on a

narrow road...
You may be dead right on your cycle, but you will still be

dead...
Roger, take a deep breath and forget about it...

cheers ... denny

Thanks for the heads-up, Roger - we'll keep an eye out. Makes me shudder
to think of being out in a kayak when that guy is in Maine.

It would be nice if more people considered the consequences of their wakes.
We have a handful of large vessels, such as the "Pink Lady" out of Boothbay,
that can make life pretty exciting sometimes. One neighbor had his 17'
outboard wrecked, while on the dock. Of course no one was watching it at
that moment, so there was no "proof" that the only large vessel to pass by
was at fault...

It is entirely possible that there will be children or less-experienced
adults in small boats, or along the shoreline; on a calm day some of the
wakes exceed what we see in the stormiest conditions. Vessels and
experience should be appropriate for the conditions you are likely to run
into, but this doesn't mean we must all be prepared for a 4' wake at all
times.

Sal's Dad

ups.com...

Gary wrote:
Roger Long wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

The "Floridian" was built by Greg Norman in Australia under another name.
Wayne Hurnanga, think "Blockbusters", bought it, added 20 feet aft for his
chopper, and named it "Floridian".

"Roger Long" wrote in message
There has been a Canadian flag mega yacht in the 150 - 200 class named
"Floridan" tied up in Portland for the past couple weeks. It's about as
big a private yacht as I've seen up this way in the past couple years.

I was heading back in today solo and close hauled in a good fresh breeze
with the boat working hard under two reefs and hoping to clear Ram Island
without having to make a short tack. The "Floridan" was coming out and
settled on exactly the opposing course with her stemhead exactly lined up
with her mast. I watched for a long time thinking they must take a slight
deviation out into the 3000 or so miles of open water to their starboard
but the angle never changed.

Finally, at about half a mile, I eased the sheets and bore off until I
could at least could see a little angle on the hull and it wasn't like
staring directly down the sights of a shotgun from the wrong end. Cursing
the loss of 100 yards on what was going to be a pretty tight squeak to
clear the island, I watched her pass about 100 feet off my beam. Then, I
got to deal with the wake of a large displacement hull going nearly hull
speed on top of an already considerable sea.

The captain was standing on the bridge wing having a ciggy with the
autopilot on and never even waved.

As someone said, Yes, the rich are different than you and I.

Keep an eye out for this turkey if you're cruising downeast. It's a bad
one.

--

Roger Long

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:42:37 -0400, DSK wrote:

If your wake causes hazard or great inconvenience, that
makes you an inconsiderate asshole.

That's a little extreme although there are plenty of sailors who would
agree with you. Tell it to the container ships blasting along at 20+
knots.

Wakes are funny things, one man's ripple is another man's tsunami.
I will reduce my wake for canoes, kayaks, small open boats, or
anything else that looks like it might be endangered. I will also
reduce it in close quarters where a wake could cause loss of control.
Other than that, wakes are just another hazard of boating to be
watched for and dealt with like any other wave. I get rolled by some
boats, and some get rolled by me. Other than a sportfish that once
trashed our television while I was waiting for a bridge to open, I've
never gotten too excited about it.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:08:48 -0400, "Scotty"
wrote:

While sailing the lower Ches. Bay, I noticed a freighter
about a mile off, directly astern on my same heading. Soon
after, the Capt ( probably a pilot ) radioed and asked if I
was going to maintain my course. I replied that I could
change course easily and asked which direction he would
prefer I do so. He asked me if I wouldn't mind steering to
port a few degrees and said he would veer to starboard some.
I gybed and headed off 60 8 to port, well out of his path.
He thanked me and we wished each other a safe trip.
Not your normal ''power boater'' story, eh?

Perhaps not but I've had pretty good luck communicating with
commercial vessels about their course and intentions. We even had an
interesting dialog last year with a large navy vessel off the coast on
Beaufort, NC. They were making frequent course changes and the last
one put us at a CPA of less than 1/2 mile, too close for my comfort.
I hailed them on channel 13 and they assured me that they were
tracking us on radar, and that we would pass astern if we held speed
and course. They were right, but at least we had established that
they were aware of us and not planning any more immediate course
changes.

Obviously none of this is possible if you wait until the last minute,
or if you don't have a radio close at hand.
DSK DSK is offline

If your wake causes hazard or great inconvenience, that
makes you an inconsiderate asshole.

Wayne.B wrote:
That's a little extreme

Not really.

... Tell it to the container ships blasting along at 20+
knots.

Well now there's a funny thing... they're not doing it for fun.

What do you think of a person who, for fun, forces other
people to go out of their way to avoid danger? Who, because
he can't be bothered, insists that other people can have
their possessions trashed and it's just "part of being on
the water"?

I call that an inconsiderate asshole, because that's what it
is. What do you call it?

Wakes are funny things, one man's ripple is another man's tsunami.

True, but there is also a very quantifiable scale for wakes.
Not long ago, I videotaped a big sportfisherman going thru
the Adams Creek cut at 8 knots or so... pulling a wake that
was literally rolling up over people's docks & bulkheads.
Over the radio, the skipper insisted that he was obeying the
"no wake" signs.

I will reduce my wake for canoes, kayaks, small open boats, or
anything else that looks like it might be endangered.

That phrase "anything else" covers a LOT of territory. How
about anchored boats? Boats tied to docks? Shorelines
subject to erosion?

... I will also
reduce it in close quarters where a wake could cause loss of control.

I've never known a wake to cause a loss of control, OTOH
there are certainly places where it is difficult or
impossible to maneuver bow-on to a wake or otherwise
minimize impact.

Other than that, wakes are just another hazard of boating to be
watched for and dealt with like any other wave.

For the most part, I agree. But that does not change the
fact that every boat operator is responsible for his wake.

.... Other than a sportfish that once
trashed our television while I was waiting for a bridge to open, I've
never gotten too excited about it.

Did you call him names

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Well, at least Roger picked a good one to get run over by. $8.3 billion
will bring out the best lawyers on a contingency basis. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:55:35 -0400, wrote:

The "Floridian" was built by Greg Norman in Australia under another name.
Wayne Hurnanga, think "Blockbusters", bought it, added 20 feet aft for his
chopper, and named it "Floridian".

Here's a local story from Camden, ME

http://knox.villagesoup.com/Communit...?storyID=75720

CWM

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:37:17 -0400, DSK wrote:

If your wake causes hazard or great inconvenience, that
makes you an inconsiderate asshole.

Wayne.B wrote:
That's a little extreme

Not really.

... Tell it to the container ships blasting along at 20+
knots.

Well now there's a funny thing... they're not doing it for fun.

If I'm leaving a wake it's because I'm trying to get somewhere, just
like the container ship. If I'm also having fun, that is incidental
and irrelevant. A wake is a wake.

What do you think of a person who, for fun, forces other
people to go out of their way to avoid danger?

See above.

Who, because
he can't be bothered, insists that other people can have
their possessions trashed and it's just "part of being on
the water"?

I call that an inconsiderate asshole, because that's what it
is. What do you call it?

I call it someone in a heavy displacement boat trying to get
somewhere. No one, other than a wake boarder, leaves a wake for fun.
At today's fuel prices, wake production is getting very expensive.

Wakes are funny things, one man's ripple is another man's tsunami.

True, but there is also a very quantifiable scale for wakes.
Not long ago, I videotaped a big sportfisherman going thru
the Adams Creek cut at 8 knots or so.

Do you live on Adams Creek? It's one of my favorite areas of the ICW.
Not all of it is a no wake zone however.

.. pulling a wake that
was literally rolling up over people's docks & bulkheads.

I have seen docks that were built too low for the type of exposure
they encounter. Who do these people yell at with storm waves?

Over the radio, the skipper insisted that he was obeying the
"no wake" signs.

Some people are truly oblivious.

I will reduce my wake for canoes, kayaks, small open boats, or
anything else that looks like it might be endangered.

That phrase "anything else" covers a LOT of territory. How
about anchored boats? Boats tied to docks? Shorelines
subject to erosion?

It depends. Endangered yes, discomforted no.

... I will also
reduce it in close quarters where a wake could cause loss of control.

I've never known a wake to cause a loss of control, OTOH
there are certainly places where it is difficult or
impossible to maneuver bow-on to a wake or otherwise
minimize impact.

Other than that, wakes are just another hazard of boating to be
watched for and dealt with like any other wave.

For the most part, I agree. But that does not change the
fact that every boat operator is responsible for his wake.

.... Other than a sportfish that once
trashed our television while I was waiting for a bridge to open, I've
never gotten too excited about it.

Did you call him names

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Yup. That looks like it.

--

Roger Long

Gary wrote:
Roger Long wrote:
[...]

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM