Scotty Scotty is offline

Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

While sailing the lower Ches. Bay, I noticed a freighter
about a mile off, directly astern on my same heading. Soon
after, the Capt ( probably a pilot ) radioed and asked if I
was going to maintain my course. I replied that I could
change course easily and asked which direction he would
prefer I do so. He asked me if I wouldn't mind steering to
port a few degrees and said he would veer to starboard some.
I gybed and headed off 60 8 to port, well out of his path.
He thanked me and we wished each other a safe trip.
Not your normal ''power boater'' story, eh?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have limited salt water experience, only a couple of

bareboat
charters in the Gulf of Mexico... But I have a lifetime of

sweet water
sailing on the Great Lakes... One thing I learned early on

is that
ships/freighters don't change course, even in a thousand

feet of water
and no land visible in any direction... There is no one

looking out
the window, and no one will answer the radio - and if in

some miracle
they did they don't speak any english anyway...

So, as a sail boat skipper I learned to automatically

change course as
soon as I see it is going to be close...... I don't get

all bent up
over regulations, or that as a sailing vessel I have the

right of way,
or that the hired Captain is an arrogant ass... Opposing

a large ship
is like a motorcycle challenging a semi at 70 MPH on a

narrow road...
You may be dead right on your cycle, but you will still be

dead...
Roger, take a deep breath and forget about it...

cheers ... denny