DSK DSK is offline

Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

Wayne.B wrote:
I call it someone in a heavy displacement boat trying to get
somewhere.

And forcing other people to go out of their way to avoid
possible injury, and risking damage to other people's goods.

In other words, no consideration to others.

At today's fuel prices, wake production is getting very expensive.

Why do so many people do it so prodigiously then?

Wayne.B wrote:
Wakes are funny things, one man's ripple is another man's tsunami.

True, but there is also a very quantifiable scale for wakes.
Not long ago, I videotaped a big sportfisherman going thru
the Adams Creek cut at 8 knots or so.

Do you live on Adams Creek?

No.

... It's one of my favorite areas of the ICW.
Not all of it is a no wake zone however.

True!

.. pulling a wake that
was literally rolling up over people's docks & bulkheads.

I have seen docks that were built too low for the type of exposure
they encounter. Who do these people yell at with storm waves?

In Adams Creek? Get real.

In any event, how they built their docks is their business.
If your wake damages it, that is your business.

It is the same as if you fired a gun, you are responsible
for where the bullet goes.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Over the radio, the skipper insisted that he was obeying the
"no wake" signs.

Some people are truly oblivious.

I will reduce my wake for canoes, kayaks, small open boats, or
anything else that looks like it might be endangered.

That phrase "anything else" covers a LOT of territory. How
about anchored boats? Boats tied to docks? Shorelines
subject to erosion?

It depends. Endangered yes, discomforted no.

If you are unwilling to exert at least some effort to avoid
causing possible harm and certain discomfort/inconvenience t
others, who are doing nothing to bother you, then that makes
you... what, exactly? I believe I defined it earlier quite well.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:55:35 -0400, wrote:

The "Floridian" was built by Greg Norman in Australia under another name.
Wayne Hurnanga, think "Blockbusters", bought it, added 20 feet aft for his
chopper, and named it "Floridian".

Here's a local story from Camden, ME

http://knox.villagesoup.com/Communit...?storyID=75720

CWM

Makes me wonder why Roger thought it was a Canadian owned vessel.

"Don White" wrote

Makes me wonder why Roger thought it was a Canadian owned vessel.

It had something to do with the big Canadian flag flying off the
stern. Maybe it was just being chartered by Canadians.

--

Roger Long

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:22:16 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Don White" wrote

Makes me wonder why Roger thought it was a Canadian owned vessel.

It had something to do with the big Canadian flag flying off the
stern. Maybe it was just being chartered by Canadians.

Flags on stern are country of registration, not the owner's country of
citizenship. Owner's country flag has some obscure spot to fly in.

Charlie Morgan wrote in :

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:55:35 -0400, wrote:

The "Floridian" was built by Greg Norman in Australia under another name.
Wayne Hurnanga, think "Blockbusters", bought it, added 20 feet aft for his
chopper, and named it "Floridian".

BTW - When the owner isn't using Floridian, it can be chartered for
$400k (four hundred thousand dollars) per week. I'm not making this
up!

CWM

Is this it:

http://www.yachtportfolio.com/yacht.cfm?yid=368

Poor wording. I should have said "flagged" instead of "owned". It's
not widely known that the "Titanic", for example, was a U.S. owned
vessel, J.P. Morgan, actually.

--

Roger Long

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:22:16 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Don White" wrote

Makes me wonder why Roger thought it was a Canadian owned vessel.

It had something to do with the big Canadian flag flying off the
stern. Maybe it was just being chartered by Canadians.

As the story indicates, the owner was on board. It wasn't being
chartered.

CWM

Denny wrote:
I have limited salt water experience, only a couple of bareboat
charters in the Gulf of Mexico... But I have a lifetime of sweet water
sailing on the Great Lakes... One thing I learned early on is that
ships/freighters don't change course, even in a thousand feet of water
and no land visible in any direction... There is no one looking out
the window, and no one will answer the radio - and if in some miracle
they did they don't speak any english anyway...

So, as a sail boat skipper I learned to automatically change course as
soon as I see it is going to be close...... I don't get all bent up
over regulations, or that as a sailing vessel I have the right of way,
or that the hired Captain is an arrogant ass... Opposing a large ship
is like a motorcycle challenging a semi at 70 MPH on a narrow road...
You may be dead right on your cycle, but you will still be dead...
Roger, take a deep breath and forget about it...

cheers ... denny

Here lies the body of William J.
He died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right as he sped along
but he's just as dead as if he'd been dead wrong.

--
Stephen

-------

For any proposition there is always some sufficiently narrow
interpretation of its terms, such that it turns out true, and
some sufficiently wide interpretation such that it turns out
false...concept stretching will refute *any* statement, and will
leave no true statement whatsoever.
-- Imre Lakatos

"Charlie Morgan" wrote

BTW - When the owner isn't using Floridian, it can be chartered for
$400k (four hundred thousand dollars) per week. I'm not making this
up!

That is not unusual. We made friends with a couple off one of those mega
yachts in North Sound, Virgin Gorda and were invited aboard. 4 couples went
in on the charter. When they told me it was $290,000 for the week I almost
choked on my Scotch! Those people were spending more per person for a week
on a boat that I plan to spend for spars, rigging and a set of sails!
Oddly, for rich Yankees they were pretty nice folks. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Roger Long wrote:
"Don White" wrote

Makes me wonder why Roger thought it was a Canadian owned vessel.

It had something to do with the big Canadian flag flying off the
stern. Maybe it was just being chartered by Canadians.

In the picture someone presented, it appeared to be a red ensign.... not
sure what flag the Cayman Islands fly.

Roger Long wrote:
Yup. That looks like it.

Note flag here re Cayman Islands Civil Ensign
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...renoJul21C.jpg

Bad view but does it resemble this flag on stern of your mega yacht..
http://www.yachtportfolio.com/yacht.cfm?yid=357

or..
http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/df2_e.cfm

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM