Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

There has been a Canadian flag mega yacht in the 150 – 200 class named
"Floridan" tied up in Portland for the past couple weeks. It’s about
as big a private yacht as I’ve seen up this way in the past couple
years.

I was heading back in today solo and close hauled in a good fresh
breeze with the boat working hard under two reefs and hoping to clear
Ram Island without having to make a short tack. The "Floridan" was
coming out and settled on exactly the opposing course with her
stemhead exactly lined up with her mast. I watched for a long time
thinking they must take a slight deviation out into the 3000 or so
miles of open water to their starboard but the angle never changed.

Finally, at about half a mile, I eased the sheets and bore off until I
could at least could see a little angle on the hull and it wasn’t like
staring directly down the sights of a shotgun from the wrong end.
Cursing the loss of 100 yards on what was going to be a pretty tight
squeak to clear the island, I watched her pass about 100 feet off my
beam. Then, I got to deal with the wake of a large displacement hull
going nearly hull speed on top of an already considerable sea.

The captain was standing on the bridge wing having a ciggy with the
autopilot on and never even waved.

As someone said, Yes, the rich are different than you and I.

Keep an eye out for this turkey if you’re cruising downeast. It’s a
bad one.

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Roger, was she on starboard tack, engine, or restricted in her
maneuverability?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

And not restricted? In that case, a bummer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
It's a power boat.

--

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

DSK DSK is offline

Roger Long wrote:
There has been a Canadian flag mega yacht in the 150 – 200 class named
"Floridan" tied up in Portland for the past couple weeks. It’s about
as big a private yacht as I’ve seen up this way in the past couple
years.

Hmmm... just the name already makes me suspicious....

..... I watched her pass about 100 feet off my
beam.

Bummer, you could have let them hit you and sued for
millions. The lawyer's lobby would probably elect you President!

But seriously, why not just hail on VHF?

The captain was standing on the bridge wing having a ciggy with the
autopilot on and never even waved.

Porb'ly didn't even see you.

As someone said, Yes, the rich are different than you and I.

Well, they share one characteristic with the very poor- they
don't have to worry about money

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:38:27 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Then, I got to deal with the wake of a large displacement hull
going nearly hull speed on top of an already considerable sea.

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

With regard to the right of way situation, did you sound a danger
signal or attempt contact on channel 13 or 16? That is the proper
course of action, preferably before the situation becomes critical.

Even though you had the right of way it would have been prudent to
have hailed him and proposed a "two whistle" pass. Most larger boats
will assume "one whistle" in the absence of some other arrangement.
Almost all boats of that size are piloted by professionals and will
respond positively to requests presented in a professional manner.

Well, actually it was restricted despite 100+ feet of water, half a
mile clear on one side and several thousand on the other.

Restricted by arrogance and stupidity.

I've got to remember that my new cell phone can take short videos.
Three of those would have made a great attachment for a report to the
Coast Guard.

--

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And not restricted? In that case, a bummer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
It's a power boat.

--

Roger Long

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

With regard to the right of way situation, did you sound a danger
signal or attempt contact on channel 13 or 16? That is the proper
course of action, preferably before the situation becomes critical.

You really think someone in a an enclosed, air conditioned, pilothouse
is going to hear the pipsqueak horn a sailboat can carry far enough
against a 20 -25 knot wind to have any beneficial influence on the
situation? Back when I used blow horns because I believed what I read
in books, I never noticed that anyone seemed to hear them in
situations like this.

As for the radio, my theory is that someone oblivious enough miss
seeing a 32 foot sailboat directly ahead isn't going to be on the ball
enough that I want to waste time talking to them. It was another of
those days when I was using both hands for the boat. I doubt he could
have understood the handheld out in the wind even if he hadn't been
out on the bridge wing sucking a cig.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote

[...]

It's funny how these things always seem to happen to you. What was it
last time, a small ferry?

Gary
DSK DSK is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours.

With all due respect, it is well to keep in mind that the
operator of a vessel making a wake is 100% responsible for
the damage done by his wake. It is exactly the same as a
person with a gun being held responsible for where his
bullets end up.

.... It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

It is unreasonable to expect to endanger... or even present
a major & potentially expensive inconvenience... to other
people and have them shrug it off.

Almost all boats of that size are piloted by professionals and will
respond positively to requests presented in a professional manner.

That's been my experience as well, but the exceptions are
always noteworthy.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM