Gary Gary is offline

Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

Roger Long wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

With regard to the right of way situation, did you sound a danger
signal or attempt contact on channel 13 or 16? That is the proper
course of action, preferably before the situation becomes critical.

You really think someone in a an enclosed, air conditioned, pilothouse
is going to hear the pipsqueak horn a sailboat can carry far enough
against a 20 -25 knot wind to have any beneficial influence on the
situation? Back when I used blow horns because I believed what I read
in books, I never noticed that anyone seemed to hear them in
situations like this.

As for the radio, my theory is that someone oblivious enough miss
seeing a 32 foot sailboat directly ahead isn't going to be on the ball
enough that I want to waste time talking to them. It was another of
those days when I was using both hands for the boat. I doubt he could
have understood the handheld out in the wind even if he hadn't been
out on the bridge wing sucking a cig.

It's funny how these things always seem to happen to you. What was it
last time, a small ferry?

Gary