SARAH

Default HELP! Stain on seats!!

Hello to all and happy boating season!! I am in need of some HELP!!
Last fall we cleaned the boat out as always (last 4 years) and we took
it out of storage this spring to find STAINS on the front seats!! I
can't get them out, I tried a bit of bleach but scared myself as I
don't want to ruin the vinyl, I have gotten vinyl cleaner, I have tried
a stain remover for fabrics and also a stain remover that is to remove
any type of sticky stuff (tho the stains are NOT sticky). It almost
looks as tho its mud stains, its gray in color (my seats are white) and
there is not a patteren to them. HELP please, we are to take some
friends out on the last in the next three weeks. I can't have stains on
the seats. That gives us time to get all cleaned out and taken up to
dock where we boat at. I have come to a stand still on cleaning the
rest of the boat as these stains are driving me crazy HELP PLEASE!!

Thanks Sarah

RG

"SARAH" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sort of hard to know what to do without seeing the seats, but here's a
couple of thoughts. It sounds like the stains might be from mold, but
perhaps not. Often, the best thing for a stain on vinyl is to let it sit in
the sun for a few weeks. But it sounds like you're pressed for time. My
recommendation would be to contact a professional auto detailer or vinyl
repair professional in your area and let them apply the best solution to the
problem.

JohnH

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:45:53 GMT, "RG" wrote:

"SARAH" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sarah, you might give this a shot. May be available at the local West
Marine.

http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/...er/output_html

Sorry I couldn't get 'tiny url' to work this evening.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JimH

"SARAH" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

From http://www.searay.com/maintenance_ti...b=6&incl=vinyl

Certain stains may become permanently set unless they are removed
immediately. Procedures for the removal of the more severe staining agents
are outlined below.
a.. Ballpoint Ink, Permanent Marker: Ink spots will stain vinyl
permanently. Immediate wiping with rubbing alcohol in a well ventilated area
will remove much of the stain. Use Yacht Brite Serious Marine Cleaner®.
Spray on stain, let set for 30 seconds, wipe dry with Yacht Brite Microfiber
Towel®. Repeat if necessary.
b.. Oil-Based Paint: The use of turpentine in a well ventilated area will
remove any fresh paint. Dried paint must be moistened carefully with a
semi-solid gel-type stripper so that the softened paint can be gently
scraped away. Rinse with soap and water. Caution: Direct contact with paint
strippers will remove the print pattern from a vinyl. Paint strippers are
very corrosive. Take care to avoid skin contact by wearing protection.
c.. Latex Paint: Fresh paint can be wiped off with a damp cloth. Hot soapy
water will normally remove dried latex. Use Yacht Brite Serious Marine
Cleaner®. Spray on stain, let stand for 10 seconds, wipe off with terry
cloth or Yacht Brite Microfiber Towel®.
d.. Tar, Asphalt: Remove immediately, as prolonged contact will result in
a permanent stain. First spray Yacht Brite Serious Shine®, let set for 20
seconds, remove tar or asphalt. Use a cloth lightly dampened with mineral
sprits and rub the stain gently, working from the outer edge of the stain
toward the center in order to prevent spreading. Rinse with soap and water.
e.. Crayon, Mustard, Ketchup: Sponge with mild soap and water. For
stubborn stains that may have set, use a cloth soaked in diluted Yacht Brite
Serious Marine Cleaner® and rub gently. Any remaining stain should be washed
with diluted bleach. Rinse repeatedly with clear, cold water.
f.. Chewing Gum: Scrape off as much as possible with a dull knife. Rubbing
with an ice cube will make it easier to remove when scraping. The remaining
gum should then be removed by using Yacht Brite Serious Shine®. Spray on,
let set for 10 to 20 seconds, wipe of with soft cloth or Yacht Brite
Microfiber towel®.
g.. Lipstick, Grease, Oil, Eye Shadow, Shoe Polish: Spray on Yacht Brite
Serious Marine Cleaner®, let set 10 to 20 seconds, wipe clean with terry
cloth or Yacht Brite Microfiber towel®. Apply a small quantity of mineral
spirits by means of a cloth with gentle rubbing. Take care not to spread the
stain by smearing it beyond its original source. No time should be lost in
removing shoe polish, because it contains a dye that will cause permanent
staining. Rinse thoroughly with water.
h.. Candy, Ice Cream, Coffee, Tea, Fruit Stains, Liquor, Wine, Suntan
Lotion, and Soft Drinks: Use Yacht Brite Serious Marine Cleaner®. Spray onto
affected area or on a Yacht Brite Microfiber towel®, let sit 10 to 20
seconds, wipe clean, rinse with water, dry with a soft cloth or Yacht Brite
Microfiber towel®. Any loose material should be gently scraped with a dull
knife.
i.. Blood, Leaf Residue: Rub out any spots with a clean cloth soaked in
cool water. If stubborn spots remain, use Yacht Brite Serious Marine
Cleaner®. Spray on affected area, let sit for 10 to 30 seconds. Wipe clean
with terry cloth or Yacht Brite Microfiber cloth®.
j.. Bird Excreta & Nausea Stains: Sponge the area with soapy water
containing diluted bleach until the stain is removed. Rinse thoroughly with
water. For stubborn stains spray Yacht Brite Serious Marine Cleaner®, let
sit for 10 to 20 seconds. Wipe with terry cloth or Yacht Brite Microfiber
towel®.
k.. Urine Stains: Sponge with Yacht Brite Serious Marine Cleaner®. Spray
and wipe dry with terry cloth or Yacht Brite Microfiber towel®. Rinse
thoroughly with clean water. If stain still persists sponge stain with warm
water and Yacht Brite Moldaway® (use as directed on package).
l.. Surface Mildew: Use Yacht Brite Moldaway®. Mix the Moldaway powder
with warm water (as directed), sponge into affected area, and rinse with
water. Repeat if necessary.

These products looks like they may work based on the advice in the article

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176972610.htm

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176972586msk.htm

SARAH

CAN I POST A PHOTO ON HERE??
SINCE IT WAsn't there when we put it in storage I'm guessing now it's
mold, but wouldn't bleach take that off??
SARAH

JimH

"SARAH" wrote in message
ups.com...

CAN I POST A PHOTO ON HERE??
SINCE IT WAsn't there when we put it in storage I'm guessing now it's
mold, but wouldn't bleach take that off??
SARAH

First of, welcome to the NG.

Secondly, relax. Even if the stain is not completely removed your guests
will not think any worse of you for owning a boat with some stains on the
seats.

Lastly, did you read my previous post? It seems pretty comprehensive on all
types of stains and how to remove them.

I would tend to agree that the stains are mold...........but you also have
to consider the possibility of a leaf stain unless you are positive that
there was no way for leaves to get into the boat and onto the seats when you
put her to bed for the winter.

As a starter, unless rain is predicted in your area, I would take the cover
off and get as much sunlight on the seats as possible...........as someone
previously suggested the sun will eventually bleach the stains away. ;-)

JimH

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 19:09:41 -0400, JimH penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Certain stains may become permanently set unless they are removed
immediately. Procedures for the removal of the more severe staining agents
are outlined below.......

Good post, Jim, that one will get encased in a plastic sleeve and
become a part of the on-board archives..... Thanks...

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Thanks Gene.

SARAH

Thanks JimH!! And to EVERYONE!!
The leaf thing, maybe that is what happened. Any way to get that out??
I really don't think that is it BUT it is a better poss. (more than
anything else). My cover was ripped, I did get it fixed but maybe it is
from that..any sugg. on that area?
Also, I wish I could just uncover and leave it open, but I'm out on a
farm and the flies are SO bad!! I don't DARE do that. right now I have
cleaned all seats and have them covered with the cover on the boat. I
will bring them in and see if it helps if I set them in the sun through
the window. But any suggestions on the leaves area I will also look
into.

Thanks again to everyone!!! I have never been to a group that is so
helpful to a new comer!!

JimH wrote:
"SARAH" wrote in message
[...]

"SARAH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks JimH!! And to EVERYONE!!
The leaf thing, maybe that is what happened. Any way to get that out??
I really don't think that is it BUT it is a better poss. (more than
anything else). My cover was ripped, I did get it fixed but maybe it is
from that..any sugg. on that area?
Also, I wish I could just uncover and leave it open, but I'm out on a
farm and the flies are SO bad!! I don't DARE do that. right now I have
cleaned all seats and have them covered with the cover on the boat. I
will bring them in and see if it helps if I set them in the sun through
the window. But any suggestions on the leaves area I will also look
into.

Thanks again to everyone!!! I have never been to a group that is so
helpful to a new comer!!

Read my initial post Sarah.

SARAH

Duuuuu Sorry, it was right after Blood...sorry!! Thanks again JimH

Capt. RB Buys a Kia Capt. Rob ASA 81 May 31st 06 12:10 AM
Rust stain [email protected] Cruising 11 May 7th 06 02:51 AM
Rust stain [email protected] Cruising 1 May 3rd 06 10:22 PM
stain line preventing [email protected] General 11 April 14th 06 03:08 PM
Oh, dear: GOP strategists worry Iraq war could cost seats John H. General 1 December 5th 05 04:40 AM