Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

Don White wrote:
Roger Long wrote:

Yup. That looks like it.

** correction** (I hope)
Note flag here re Cayman Islands Civil Ensign
** try this **

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...an_Islands.svg

Bad view but does it resemble this flag on stern of your mega yacht..
http://www.yachtportfolio.com/yacht.cfm?yid=357

or..
http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/df2_e.cfm

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Don White" wrote

Makes me wonder why Roger thought it was a Canadian owned vessel.

It had something to do with the big Canadian flag flying off the
stern. Maybe it was just being chartered by Canadians.

All the Canadian boats that pass through here have a red, white, red
vertical panels with a big red maple leaf in the white one. I have a problem
trying to keep up the Cayman and Jamaican flags.

Leanne

What do you think of a person who, for fun, forces other
people to go out of their way to avoid danger?

Oh please, give that nonsense a rest. There's no 'forcing' anything in this
situation, so quit with the hype.

Ed Ed is offline

Is the Pink lady still there? There is a party boat here in Fort
Lauderdale with Boothbay registration with that exact name.

Sal's Dad wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, Roger - we'll keep an eye out. Makes me shudder
to think of being out in a kayak when that guy is in Maine.

It would be nice if more people considered the consequences of their wakes.
We have a handful of large vessels, such as the "Pink Lady" out of Boothbay,
that can make life pretty exciting sometimes. One neighbor had his 17'
outboard wrecked, while on the dock. Of course no one was watching it at
that moment, so there was no "proof" that the only large vessel to pass by
was at fault...

It is entirely possible that there will be children or less-experienced
adults in small boats, or along the shoreline; on a calm day some of the
wakes exceed what we see in the stormiest conditions. Vessels and
experience should be appropriate for the conditions you are likely to run
into, but this doesn't mean we must all be prepared for a 4' wake at all
times.

Sal's Dad

"boatgeek" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is this the boat?

http://www.yachtportfolio.com/yacht.cfm?yid=357

Gary wrote:

Roger Long wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

Ed Ed is offline

Must of been the old "Aussie Rules" Purchased by Wayne Huizenga (owner
of the Miami Dolphins, etc etc) He needs to run a "courtesy" class for
his employees. His good buddy Jim Moran (Owner of SE Toyota
distributors and a fleet of boats that go by "gallant lady") would fire
an idiot like that on the spot.... his crew members (Dozens of them)
have always been curteous and helpful to us when ever we run into them
in FLL and the islands. What a difference an owner can make!!!!!!

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Well, at least Roger picked a good one to get run over by. $8.3 billion
will bring out the best lawyers on a contingency basis. :-)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 00:08:23 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

With regard to the right of way situation, did you sound a danger
signal or attempt contact on channel 13 or 16? That is the proper
course of action, preferably before the situation becomes critical.

You really think someone in a an enclosed, air conditioned, pilothouse
is going to hear the pipsqueak horn a sailboat can carry far enough
against a 20 -25 knot wind to have any beneficial influence on the
situation? Back when I used blow horns because I believed what I read
in books, I never noticed that anyone seemed to hear them in
situations like this.

As for the radio, my theory is that someone oblivious enough miss
seeing a 32 foot sailboat directly ahead isn't going to be on the ball
enough that I want to waste time talking to them. It was another of
those days when I was using both hands for the boat. I doubt he could
have understood the handheld out in the wind even if he hadn't been
out on the bridge wing sucking a cig.

Well, it takes two to tango, and your last paragraph proves it.

You made no effort to contact them!?

Time to stop your bitch'n and take a look in the mirror.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:15:40 -0400, DSK wrote:

With all due respect, it is well to keep in mind that the
operator of a vessel making a wake is 100% responsible for
the damage done by his wake. It is exactly the same as a
person with a gun being held responsible for where his
bullets end up.

That is not how the "wake rule" works.

You are not always held 100% responsible for your wake.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:22:28 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Obviously none of this is possible if you wait until the last minute,
or if you don't have a radio close at hand.

Or it's useless in a breeze so you don't even try.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:42:37 -0400, DSK wrote:

If your wake causes any damage or injury, you are responsible.

Again, it's not that cut and dry.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:17:08 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Roger Long wrote:
"Don White" wrote

Makes me wonder why Roger thought it was a Canadian owned vessel.

It had something to do with the big Canadian flag flying off the
stern. Maybe it was just being chartered by Canadians.

In the picture someone presented, it appeared to be a red ensign.... not
sure what flag the Cayman Islands fly.

It's has a red field.

http://ederflagnews.com/images/Flags...IslandsRed.gif

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM