Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:07:23 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Oddly, for rich Yankees they were pretty nice folks. :-)

Oh, sure! When they weren't tooling around ordering the Captain to
wake every sailboat in sight. :-)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 01:10:28 GMT, Capt. Bill
wrote:

Oddly, for rich Yankees they were pretty nice folks. :-)

Oh, sure! When they weren't tooling around ordering the Captain to
wake every sailboat in sight. :-)

For the fun of it...

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:17:29 -0400, DSK wrote:

In any event, how they built their docks is their business.
If your wake damages it, that is your business.

Not really. There is an expectation that docks will be built to
withstand average conditions for the site. A dock that is not in a
no wake zone, or open to exposed water, needs to be built high enough
and strong enough to withstand what comes along.

dog dog is offline

On 2006-07-25 21:52:24 -0400, Larry said:

You never have a Stinger or depth charge when you need one.....

Really need to learn more about weaponry and ordnance... neither is
really appropriate for ship-to-ship combat. A torpedo or a deck gun is
far more appropriate.

Stingers are Anti-aircraft missles. Depth charges do little damage to
boats...and are use for anti-submarine work.

"DSK" wrote in message

If you are unwilling to exert at least some effort to

avoid
causing possible harm and certain discomfort/inconvenience

others, who are doing nothing to bother you, then that

makes
you... what, exactly?

A typical power boater?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

Capt. Bill wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 00:08:23 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

With regard to the right of way situation, did you sound a danger
signal or attempt contact on channel 13 or 16? That is the proper
course of action, preferably before the situation becomes critical.

You really think someone in a an enclosed, air conditioned, pilothouse
is going to hear the pipsqueak horn a sailboat can carry far enough
against a 20 -25 knot wind to have any beneficial influence on the
situation? Back when I used blow horns because I believed what I read
in books, I never noticed that anyone seemed to hear them in
situations like this.

As for the radio, my theory is that someone oblivious enough miss
seeing a 32 foot sailboat directly ahead isn't going to be on the ball
enough that I want to waste time talking to them. It was another of
those days when I was using both hands for the boat. I doubt he could
have understood the handheld out in the wind even if he hadn't been
out on the bridge wing sucking a cig.

Well, it takes two to tango, and your last paragraph proves it.

You made no effort to contact them!?

Time to stop your bitch'n and take a look in the mirror.

Yup. That last paragraph is all attitude.

Gary

Yes, there is a Pink Lady, and a smaller Pink Lady II, and Island Lady,
running multiple daily trips out of Boothbay Harbor.
http://www.mainewhales.com/d_cf_fleet.htm Website says 78-100 feet. And
one hell of a wake, when they are moving - about the biggest wake we see,
far bigger than the tugs or destroyers.... of course we haven't seen
Floridian yet.
Sal's Dad

Is the Pink lady still there? There is a party boat here in Fort
Lauderdale with Boothbay registration with that exact name.

Sal's Dad wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, Roger - we'll keep an eye out. Makes me
shudder to think of being out in a kayak when that guy is in Maine.

It would be nice if more people considered the consequences of their
wakes. We have a handful of large vessels, such as the "Pink Lady" out of
Boothbay, that can make life pretty exciting sometimes. One neighbor
had his 17' outboard wrecked, while on the dock. Of course no one was
watching it at that moment, so there was no "proof" that the only large
vessel to pass by was at fault...

It is entirely possible that there will be children or less-experienced
adults in small boats, or along the shoreline; on a calm day some of the
wakes exceed what we see in the stormiest conditions. Vessels and
experience should be appropriate for the conditions you are likely to run
into, but this doesn't mean we must all be prepared for a 4' wake at all
times.

Sal's Dad

"boatgeek" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is this the boat?

http://www.yachtportfolio.com/yacht.cfm?yid=357

Gary wrote:

Roger Long wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours. It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

Agreed and I am not a wake nazi. But we're talking here about the
wake within the first two or three waves as a result of a vessel
passing far closer than is prudent. No danger but it took some
finesse in those conditions to get through without getting soaked.
Actually, the wind blanketing of the close approach was more of an
issue. I can coax a boat through just about anything but I could have
been one of many people out there that could have gotten knocked down
or backed trying to get the boat moving again.

OK Capt. Bill, I'll bite.

Just how DOES the "wake rule" work? And please, if you can, provide
citations or links? Apparently I have misunderstood all these years; I
would welcome an opportunity to be educated.

Sal's Dad

"Capt. Bill" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:15:40 -0400, DSK wrote:

With all due respect, it is well to keep in mind that the
operator of a vessel making a wake is 100% responsible for
the damage done by his wake. It is exactly the same as a
person with a gun being held responsible for where his
bullets end up.

That is not how the "wake rule" works.

You are not always held 100% responsible for your wake.

Yes, it very well could be the Cayman's and it's a much more likely
registry for a vessel like this. We see so many Canadian flags here
that I didn't look too closely.

--

Roger Long

"Don White" wrote in message
Roger Long wrote:
Yup. That looks like it.

Note flag here re Cayman Islands Civil Ensign
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...renoJul21C.jpg

Bad view but does it resemble this flag on stern of your mega
yacht..
http://www.yachtportfolio.com/yacht.cfm?yid=357

or..
http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/df2_e.cfm

"Wayne.B" wrote

been a freighter instead of a mega yacht, how would you view the
situation in that case? Neither will turn or stop on a dime.

"turn or stop on a dime" is an inapplicable exaggeration that confuses
the issue in this case. Even a freighter could have made the 1 degree
course change (with the nearest obstruction in that direction a place
where they don't speak English) that would have resolved this
situation without radio chatter. At 160 feet, this vessel could have
done circles around me if they wanted to take a close look.

--

Roger Long

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM