Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:08:48 -0400, "Scotty"
wrote:

While sailing the lower Ches. Bay, I noticed a freighter
about a mile off, directly astern on my same heading. Soon
after, the Capt ( probably a pilot ) radioed and asked if I
was going to maintain my course. I replied that I could
change course easily and asked which direction he would
prefer I do so. He asked me if I wouldn't mind steering to
port a few degrees and said he would veer to starboard some.
I gybed and headed off 60 8 to port, well out of his path.
He thanked me and we wished each other a safe trip.
Not your normal ''power boater'' story, eh?

Perhaps not but I've had pretty good luck communicating with
commercial vessels about their course and intentions. We even had an
interesting dialog last year with a large navy vessel off the coast on
Beaufort, NC. They were making frequent course changes and the last
one put us at a CPA of less than 1/2 mile, too close for my comfort.
I hailed them on channel 13 and they assured me that they were
tracking us on radar, and that we would pass astern if we held speed
and course. They were right, but at least we had established that
they were aware of us and not planning any more immediate course
changes.

Obviously none of this is possible if you wait until the last minute,
or if you don't have a radio close at hand.