Default PFDs

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:33:53 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

How about people just learn how to SWIM???? If you can't swim then stay
off
the water.

People run out of energy very quickly in water less than 85 degrees
F., and if you can't deploy the swim ladder, where are you going to
swim to? A lot of people have drowned trying to swim to shore in
cases where they'd have been just fine holding onto the boat.

All you have to do is be able to swim long enough for the boat to come back
and retrieve you. If you're single-handing and the boat is on autopilot that
will be somewhat of a problem but otherwise your absence will soon be
noticed and the crew should come looking for you. But, the main thing is
just don't fall off the boat. Is that so hard to understand? Seriously,
falling off the boat probably indicates you are so stupid that perhaps your
genes don't really need to be passed on anyhow.

I ride a bicycle and rather than wearing some sort of inflatable rubber suit
that would inflated quickly when I was falling so I bounced and did not hurt
myself I would rather just NOT FALL. I work very hard just not falling
precisely because it really hurts to fall. If people realized that they
might well die if they fell off their boats then perhaps they wouldn't fall
off.

Wilbur Hubbard

"HarryK" wrote in message
On 2/20/2011 10:51 AM, slide wrote:
On 2/19/2011 10:30 AM, CaveLamb wrote:
slide wrote:

Before you go further in this, though, I strongly suggest you try
retrieving someone from the ocean as if it were a MOB drill. Getting
someone on deck from most boats with significant freeboard is MUCH
more difficult than most people envision.

We practice all the time, slide.
But my boat has a sugar scoop stern with a drop down stern ladder.

Retrieving hats is harder...

Sugar scoop would make it MUCH easier. If you turn it around, you need so
ask why anyone would NOT wear a PFD. Comfort and style would be the only
reasons. Frex, when we sailed (and will again) we tend to go naked if
it's warm enough.

I had a sugar scoop transom on my old Parker. Not only did it make it
easier to board the boat from the water but it allowed a place for the
water to run out of the boat when I took on the ocassional greenie over
the bow. Some naysayers poo pooed the transom arrangement but the good
folks at Parker boats informed me that it was a safety feature.

Sugar scoop transoms are only successfully marketed to idiots. Why? Because
a boat that is really only 30 feet LOA can be cheaply marketed as a
33-footer by virtue of the extra LOA the cosmetic sugar scoop offers. IOW,
people are stupid enough to pay 33-foot prices for a 30-foot boat.

After it dawns on them that they were suckered, then they come up with all
kinds of after-the-fact rationales for why the rip-off sugar scoop is so
great. Just who the hell do they think they're trying to fool? LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2/20/2011 1:01 PM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:31:17 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
.com...
"Wilbur wrote in message
anews.com...
wrote in message
m...
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Hell no! Never have, never will. Just don't fall
off the boat.

Life jackets are for children only as they aren't
cognizant of the danger of falling overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

That's totally irresponsible. Wear one for your loved ones if not for
yourself.

Loved ones? What loved ones?

Wilbur Hubbard

Think of Jessica. What would she do if she lost you ?

That's what I mean . . .

I'm afraid Jessica is a hopeless case. She had a date Friday with some guy
who fetched her some gasoline when she ran out last week and she's nowhere
to be seen since. Because she's got someone new to occupy her time, she has
left all of us in rbc in the lurch. Women are so fickle and unreliable. What
good are they, really! :-(

Wilbur Hubbard

Poor baby. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. LOL

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:31:17 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
.com...
"Wilbur wrote in message
anews.com...
wrote in message
[...]

For you, Harry, the saying should be "A bush in the hand is worth a dozen in
the Playboy magazine." LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:31:17 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message
.com...
"Wilbur wrote in message
anews.com...
wrote in message
[...]

Heh?

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:

[...]

Almost ALL the modern blue water racers are built that way too.

You just proved my point. The sugar scoop is a way to cheat the rules just
like it cheats the hapless consumer into thinking he's buying a longer boat
than he's really buying.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

You just proved my point. The sugar scoop is a way to cheat the rules just
like it cheats the hapless consumer into thinking he's buying a longer boat
than he's really buying.

Wilbur Hubbard

Just plain noise.

Water line length is water line length.

What the reverse transom arrangement really does is limit how far aft
you can load heavy stuff.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Bob Bob is offline

wrote:
How about people just learn how to SWIM???? *If you can't swim then stay off
the water.

Jessibur has a very limited view of sailing. His post show a
fundamental lack conservative thinking.

Wayne B on the other had is the first person here that really hits the
nail on the head. Your equipment should fit the vessel and the area of
operation.

To make a blnket statment as Jsessibur does is nieve. Here in the PNW
with water tempratures 48-55F and sailing typically in 6-12 feet
swells it is very easy to drown befor a boat can come about... yes,
even excuting a Willimason Turn. basic law here is if single handed
and go over youre dead. If you go over with someone else on board
youre most likely dead.... maybe not if yore really fat had have a
capable crew.

Personnly single haded I tie off and wear a Sterns Type V Work Suit
and when in water temp above 70 F Ill substitute an inflatable
harness. When crossing a bar all passengers are inside. Only crew is
on deck.Once ouside pasangers are alowed on deck and must wear
inflatable harness.

People run out of energy very quickly in water less than 85 degrees
F., and if you can't deploy the swim ladder, where are you going to
swim to? *A lot of people have drowned trying to swim to shore in
cases where they'd have been just fine holding onto the boat.

Wayne, I comend your conservative and detaild response. To Willica I
say, u r 1 dum fool.
BOb

"Bob" wrote in message

How about people just learn how to SWIM???? If you can't swim then stay
off
the water.

::Jessibur has a very limited view of sailing. His post show a
::fundamental lack conservative thinking.

Wrong! Conservative thinking has at it's core personal rights and personal
freedom and personal responsibility. It is very conservative to suggest a
body learn to swim prior to going out on the water.

::Wayne B on the other had is the first person here that really hits the
::nail on the head. Your equipment should fit the vessel and the area of
:peration.

And who makes the rules? Not the captain? Nooooo! You freaking communists
want all personal responsibility taken away from the captain and given to
some government entity. You, sir, are a Nazi wannabe.

::To make a bl(a)nket statment as Jsessibur does is nieve (sic). Here in the
PNW
::with water tempratures 48-55F and sailing typically in 6-12 feet
::swells it is very easy to drown befor a boat can come about... yes,
::even excuting a Willimason Turn. basic law here is if single handed
::and go over youre dead. If you go over with someone else on board
::youre most likely dead.... maybe not if yore really fat had have a
::capable crew.

Oh, clueless one, the point is to NOT fall off the boat. If you are stupid
or inept to fall off the boat then you deserve to be left behind to drown.
Your personal responsibility is to take such measures as will satisfy you of
your OWN PERSONAL SAFETY. If you wish then wear a life jacket but don't try
to leglislate personal safety decisions and make them mandatory for
everybody. I'm an adult - I will make my own personal safety decisions and
the federal or state government be damned. If you want to be a Nazi, fine.
But, leave me out of your world view. Is that too much to ask?

::Person(al)ly single ha(n)ded I tie off and wear a Sterns Type V Work Suit
::and when in water temp above 70 F Ill substitute an inflatable
::harness. When crossing a bar all passengers are inside. Only crew is
:n deck.Once ouside pasangers are alowed on deck and must wear
::inflatable harness.

Hey dummy! In case you haven't noticed I'm not talking about commercial
enterprises. I'm talking about individual choices on recreational vessels.
Get a clue and try to stay on topic, d00d!

People run out of energy very quickly in water less than 85 degrees
F., and if you can't deploy the swim ladder, where are you going to
swim to? A lot of people have drowned trying to swim to shore in
cases where they'd have been just fine holding onto the boat.

::Wayne, I comend your conservative and detaild response. To Willica I
::say, u r 1 dum fool.
:: BOb

Bob, you haven't a clue what conservative even means. I suggest you do some
basic research on the term. And, don't limit it to a political definition
only. When you have educated yourself then you may return and perhaps not
make as big a fool out of yourself as is the case in your post to which this
is the reply.

Dismissed!

Wilbur Hubbard

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

You just proved my point. The sugar scoop is a way to cheat the rules
just like it cheats the hapless consumer into thinking he's buying a
longer boat than he's really buying.

Wilbur Hubbard

Just plain noise.

Water line length is water line length.

What the reverse transom arrangement really does is limit how far aft
you can load heavy stuff.

You just displayed a total lack of understanding. I don't know of ANY
recreational vessel that is sold by LWL. All of them are sold by LOA.

Length over all INCLUDES that cosmetic appendage called a sugar scoop. Get a
clue.

I could tack a 3-foot sugar scoop on the transom of my fine blue water yacht
and VOILA! 'Cut the Mustard' suddenly becomes a 30-footer.

Only morons buy sugar scoop vessels because the 30-footer they pay for is
really a 27-footer. WAKE UP! People are just so brainwashed by adverts these
days. Most have no ability to see basic everyday reason and logic.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard

PFDs.....afterthought? Double_J Touring 4 July 23rd 04 01:58 PM
[Q] PFDs Eric General 9 May 31st 04 01:11 PM
Harmony PFDs? Scott Schneider General 2 March 18th 04 12:28 AM