Default PFDs

On 2/21/2011 9:14 AM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
wrote in message
m...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

You just proved my point. The sugar scoop is a way to cheat the rules
just like it cheats the hapless consumer into thinking he's buying a
longer boat than he's really buying.

Wilbur Hubbard

Just plain noise.

Water line length is water line length.

What the reverse transom arrangement really does is limit how far aft
you can load heavy stuff.

You just displayed a total lack of understanding. I don't know of ANY
recreational vessel that is sold by LWL. All of them are sold by LOA.

Length over all INCLUDES that cosmetic appendage called a sugar scoop. Get a
clue.

I could tack a 3-foot sugar scoop on the transom of my fine blue water yacht
and VOILA! 'Cut the Mustard' suddenly becomes a 30-footer.

Only morons buy sugar scoop vessels because the 30-footer they pay for is
really a 27-footer. WAKE UP! People are just so brainwashed by adverts these
days. Most have no ability to see basic everyday reason and logic.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard

It's not just about $s per foot. If it was, choosing a boat would be a
no brainer.

You LIVE in a 27 foot boat? Wow. How can you do it? You don't pay marina
fees? How do you get away with that? What do the local authorities think
about you squatting on and polluting their waters. Certainly you are
breaking some laws. I have half a mind to drop a dime on you, Mr parasite.

"HarryK" wrote in message
snip
I have half a mind . . . snip

I agree with this post!!!

Wilbur Hubbard

Bob Bob is offline

::Person(al)ly single ha(n)ded I tie off and wear a Sterns Type V Work Suit
::and when in water temp above 70 F Ill substitute an inflatable
::harness. When crossing a bar all passengers are inside. Only crew is
:n deck.Once ouside pasangers are alowed on deck and must wear
::inflatable harness.

Hey dummy! In case you haven't noticed I'm not talking about commercial
enterprises. I'm talking about individual choices on recreational vessels.
Get a clue and try to stay on topic, d00d!

People run out of energy very quickly in water less than 85 degrees
F., and if you can't deploy the swim ladder, where are you going to
swim to? A lot of people have drowned trying to swim to shore in
cases where they'd have been just fine holding onto the boat.

::Wayne, I comend your conservative and detaild response. To Willica I
::say, u r 1 dum fool.
:: BOb

WILica B.

I said nothing about passangers for hire. My post was direct to
recreational voyages. WHen I have passangers (friends) on board who do
not have a designated duty station they go below when I cross the bar.
Why might I do that?

SInce you most likely have no idea what I mean by "bar" I will for
give you ignorance this time only.
Bob

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:37:48 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Last time I sailed, I was given a choice, and I put mine on. I was
told it would inflate by water pressure, so I didn't have to worry
about getting sprayed. It seemed pretty comfortable, but after a while
got annoying, so I took it off.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:10:09 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message

How about people just learn how to SWIM???? If you can't swim then stay
off
the water.

::Jessibur has a very limited view of sailing. His post show a
::fundamental lack conservative thinking.

Wrong! Conservative thinking has at it's core personal rights and personal
freedom and personal responsibility. It is very conservative to suggest a
body learn to swim prior to going out on the water.

::Wayne B on the other had is the first person here that really hits the
::nail on the head. Your equipment should fit the vessel and the area of
:peration.

And who makes the rules? Not the captain? Nooooo! You freaking communists
want all personal responsibility taken away from the captain and given to
some government entity. You, sir, are a Nazi wannabe.

::To make a bl(a)nket statment as Jsessibur does is nieve (sic). Here in the
PNW
::with water tempratures 48-55F and sailing typically in 6-12 feet
::swells it is very easy to drown befor a boat can come about... yes,
::even excuting a Willimason Turn. basic law here is if single handed
::and go over youre dead. If you go over with someone else on board
::youre most likely dead.... maybe not if yore really fat had have a
::capable crew.

Oh, clueless one, the point is to NOT fall off the boat. If you are stupid
or inept to fall off the boat then you deserve to be left behind to drown.
Your personal responsibility is to take such measures as will satisfy you of
your OWN PERSONAL SAFETY. If you wish then wear a life jacket but don't try
to leglislate personal safety decisions and make them mandatory for
everybody. I'm an adult - I will make my own personal safety decisions and
the federal or state government be damned. If you want to be a Nazi, fine.
But, leave me out of your world view. Is that too much to ask?

[...]

Bob, you haven't a clue what conservative even means. I suggest you do some
basic research on the term. And, don't limit it to a political definition
only. When you have educated yourself then you may return and perhaps not
make as big a fool out of yourself as is the case in your post to which this
is the reply.

Dismissed!

Wilbur Hubbard

I was specifically told not to fall off the boat by the skipper. I
didn't fall off the boat! LOL

Bob Bob is offline

Last time I sailed, I was given a choice, and I put mine on. I was
told it would inflate by water pressure, so I didn't have to worry
about getting sprayed. It seemed pretty comfortable,

but after a while
got annoying, so I took it off.

Jessibur B Hubard,

Did it chafe your manboobs causing redness and great pain?

Bob

"Waldo" wrote in message
eb.com...
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

I would have told her to fall off on purpose so I could do some
man-overboard rescue practice drills.

An added advantage would be a wet t-shirt. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Last time I sailed, I was given a choice, and I put mine on. I was
told it would inflate by water pressure, so I didn't have to worry
about getting sprayed. It seemed pretty comfortable, but after a while
got annoying, so I took it off.

And therein lies the problem - discomfiture.

The last thing I need when I'm sailing is some hot and uncomfortable life
jacket of any kind chafing on me. I'd rather sit in the cockpit under the
shade of the bimini with shorts and bare-chested and enjoy the sun, wind and
water unencumbered with a bunch of crap hanging off of my body.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:04:40 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Waldo" wrote in message
web.com...
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

As long as you didn't push me! FYI, sorry I saw your email today, but
just didn't have the opportunity to give a thoughtful reply. I'll get
to it this evening after I get back from the gym. I hope you had a
nice day!

Also, Waldo sounds like an ass.

PFDs.....afterthought? Double_J Touring 4 July 23rd 04 01:58 PM
[Q] PFDs Eric General 9 May 31st 04 01:11 PM
Harmony PFDs? Scott Schneider General 2 March 18th 04 12:28 AM