Default PFDs

I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

On 2/19/2011 7:37 AM, CaveLamb wrote:
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

When single handing, I made it my business to clip on to one of two
jacklines I had rigged or another solid place. I used a harness with two
lines / clips so I could clip on, and then clip off of something else. I
saw no reason to wear a PFD while single handing.

Clearly this is a good idea for safety as is wearing a helmet when
riding in your automobile, but few do either because for most, it
reduces the experience. Clearly an incident may knock you off the boat
and knock you silly at the same time so a PFD can easily save your life
while others turn the boat and try for a rescue. So it's really a
personal choice.

Before you go further in this, though, I strongly suggest you try
retrieving someone from the ocean as if it were a MOB drill. Getting
someone on deck from most boats with significant freeboard is MUCH more
difficult than most people envision.

slide wrote:

Before you go further in this, though, I strongly suggest you try
retrieving someone from the ocean as if it were a MOB drill. Getting
someone on deck from most boats with significant freeboard is MUCH more
difficult than most people envision.

We practice all the time, slide.
But my boat has a sugar scoop stern with a drop down stern ladder.

Retrieving hats is harder...

In article , CaveLamb wrote:
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Wife and I wear ours at all times we're not below. I'm not convinced
we'd float for long once all our clothing layers and foul-weather gear
got water-logged. If I'm single-handing then I clip on when moving about
outside the cockpit, and the PFD doubles as a harness, so it is always
warn - though should be redundant if I'm clipped on.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Hell no! Never have, never will. Just don't fall
off the boat.

Life jackets are for children only as they aren't
cognizant of the danger of falling overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:37:48 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

I don't wear them, nor know anyone who wears them in normal
conditions, but it IS still is a good idea.

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

I don't wear them, nor know anyone who wears them in normal
conditions, but it IS still a good idea.

No, it's NOT a good idea, it's a stupid idea. If you can't keep from falling
off your boat in normal conditions then you don't belong there in the first
place. And, if conditions are so bad that there is a good chance you'll be
knocked or washed overboard then use a harness and jack lines to keep from
going overboard if you need to be outside. Otherwise, stay inside.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:14:21 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
om...
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Hell no! Never have, never will. Just don't fall
off the boat.

Life jackets are for children only as they aren't
cognizant of the danger of falling overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

Ah... and there speaks the voice of experience.

Now google on "Pen Duick and "Eric Tabarly", who was a former officer
in the French navy who is often considered the father of French
yachting.His sailing experiences include 2 Whitbreads, two time OSTAR
winner, and a lifetime of sailing. But of course, he just did it and
never felt it necessary to flaunt his experiences in a book, so I'm
sure that you never heard of him.

Yes, the voice of experience..... the armchair sailor, who read a book
about sailing.

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

I don't wear them, nor know anyone who wears them in normal
conditions, but it IS still is a good idea.

Cheers,

Bruce

At least over here, it could be seen as a responsibility thing.
If someone went over the rail without a PFD and died, heirs might
start a legal witch hunt. But if you (the person responsible for
the safety of everyone aboard) DO require them and the above happens
I think you'd have a better stance in court.

Sux, maybe, that such is a consideration. But it is.

wrote:

[...]

I swim very well and I sail in warm waters. However, I ALWAYS wear my
auto-inflate jacket with auto lite and locater beacon. I have a lot
to live for.
My policy is that anybody who is not confident of their swimming
(including anybody under 16) wears a jacket at all times.
At night, everybody (outside) wears theirs and gets tethered to an eye
bolt.
In bad weather, everybody wears one.
Below, they may be removed.

PFDs.....afterthought? Double_J Touring 4 July 23rd 04 01:58 PM
[Q] PFDs Eric General 9 May 31st 04 01:11 PM
Harmony PFDs? Scott Schneider General 2 March 18th 04 12:28 AM