Default PFDs

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Hell no! Never have, never will. Just don't fall
off the boat.

Life jackets are for children only as they aren't
cognizant of the danger of falling overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

That's totally irresponsible. Wear one for your loved ones if not for
yourself.

--
Waldo

On 2/19/2011 10:30 AM, CaveLamb wrote:
slide wrote:

Before you go further in this, though, I strongly suggest you try
retrieving someone from the ocean as if it were a MOB drill. Getting
someone on deck from most boats with significant freeboard is MUCH
more difficult than most people envision.

We practice all the time, slide.
But my boat has a sugar scoop stern with a drop down stern ladder.

Retrieving hats is harder...

Sugar scoop would make it MUCH easier. If you turn it around, you need
so ask why anyone would NOT wear a PFD. Comfort and style would be the
only reasons. Frex, when we sailed (and will again) we tend to go naked
if it's warm enough.

slide wrote:

Before you go further in this, though, I strongly suggest you try
retrieving someone from the ocean as if it were a MOB drill. Getting
someone on deck from most boats with significant freeboard is MUCH
more difficult than most people envision.

We practice all the time, slide.
But my boat has a sugar scoop stern with a drop down stern ladder.

Retrieving hats is harder...

Sugar scoop would make it MUCH easier. If you turn it around, you need
so ask why anyone would NOT wear a PFD. Comfort and style would be the
only reasons. Frex, when we sailed (and will again) we tend to go naked
if it's warm enough.

Copy that!

Actually, there is a down side to the inflatables...
If one fell across something the old padded style PFDs
might prevent a cracked rib or worse.
An inflatable lacks that.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:56:05 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

If one fell across something the old padded style PFDs
might prevent a cracked rib or worse.

Cracked ribs are certainly an issue but usually not fatal, and of the
two cracked rib incidents that I've observed, both happened below
decks. No thanks on the padded PFDs.

In calm, settled conditions, PFDs above decks are a bit overkill in my
opinion. Just about everyone I know uses the self inflating harness
type when offshore or in rough conditions. In my opinion every boat
should have a swim ladder. Our trawler has an interesting
arrangement where the ladder can be deployed by someone in the water.

.com...
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Hell no! Never have, never will. Just don't fall
off the boat.

Life jackets are for children only as they aren't
cognizant of the danger of falling overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

That's totally irresponsible. Wear one for your loved ones if not for
yourself.

Loved ones? What loved ones?

Wilbur Hubbard

news
wrote:

If one fell across something the old padded style PFDs
might prevent a cracked rib or worse.

Cracked ribs are certainly an issue but usually not fatal, and of the
two cracked rib incidents that I've observed, both happened below
decks. No thanks on the padded PFDs.

In calm, settled conditions, PFDs above decks are a bit overkill in my
opinion. Just about everyone I know uses the self inflating harness
type when offshore or in rough conditions. In my opinion every boat
should have a swim ladder. Our trawler has an interesting
arrangement where the ladder can be deployed by someone in the water.

How about people just learn how to SWIM???? If you can't swim then stay off
the water.

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2/20/2011 12:31 PM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
wrote in message
.com...
"Wilbur wrote in message
anews.com...
wrote in message
m...
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Hell no! Never have, never will. Just don't fall
off the boat.

Life jackets are for children only as they aren't
cognizant of the danger of falling overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

That's totally irresponsible. Wear one for your loved ones if not for
yourself.

Loved ones? What loved ones?

Wilbur Hubbard

Priceless. Snerk

slide wrote:

Before you go further in this, though, I strongly suggest you try
retrieving someone from the ocean as if it were a MOB drill. Getting
someone on deck from most boats with significant freeboard is MUCH
more difficult than most people envision.

We practice all the time, slide.
But my boat has a sugar scoop stern with a drop down stern ladder.

Retrieving hats is harder...

Sugar scoop would make it MUCH easier. If you turn it around, you need
so ask why anyone would NOT wear a PFD. Comfort and style would be the
only reasons. Frex, when we sailed (and will again) we tend to go
naked if it's warm enough.

I had a sugar scoop transom on my old Parker. Not only did it make it
easier to board the boat from the water but it allowed a place for the
water to run out of the boat when I took on the ocassional greenie over
the bow. Some naysayers poo pooed the transom arrangement but the good
folks at Parker boats informed me that it was a safety feature.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:33:53 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

How about people just learn how to SWIM???? If you can't swim then stay off
the water.

People run out of energy very quickly in water less than 85 degrees
F., and if you can't deploy the swim ladder, where are you going to
swim to? A lot of people have drowned trying to swim to shore in
cases where they'd have been just fine holding onto the boat.

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:31:17 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

eb.com...
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
I just recently bought a couple of inflatable PFDs.

One of the standing orders on my boat is that if you
are on deck and out of the cockpit you must wear your
float.

But I'm curious about what the rest of you think.
Do you wear them or not?

Hell no! Never have, never will. Just don't fall
off the boat.

Life jackets are for children only as they aren't
cognizant of the danger of falling overboard.

Wilbur Hubbard

That's totally irresponsible. Wear one for your loved ones if not for
yourself.

Loved ones? What loved ones?

Wilbur Hubbard

Think of Jessica. What would she do if she lost you ?

That's what I mean . . .

I'm afraid Jessica is a hopeless case. She had a date Friday with some guy
who fetched her some gasoline when she ran out last week and she's nowhere
to be seen since. Because she's got someone new to occupy her time, she has
left all of us in rbc in the lurch. Women are so fickle and unreliable. What
good are they, really! :-(

Wilbur Hubbard

PFDs.....afterthought? Double_J Touring 4 July 23rd 04 01:58 PM
[Q] PFDs Eric General 9 May 31st 04 01:11 PM
Harmony PFDs? Scott Schneider General 2 March 18th 04 12:28 AM