Double_J

Default PFDs.....afterthought?

There is such a wide variety and price range for PFD's. As a new boat owner
I'm curious if there is legitimate arguement for spending $175 plus dollars
on an Astral piece?

jdj

Courtney

I'm not familiar with Astral but I know with Lotus and Kokatat the price
goes up because you get a life jacket that has stronger and better
materials, more comfortable fit, extra accessories, and they last longer.
If you plan to use the life jacket on a very regular basis than I would
consider spending the extra money. If you only plan to paddle from time to
time then the lower priced jackets will suit you just fine.

Courtney

"Double_J" wrote in message
There is such a wide variety and price range for PFD's. As a new boat

owner
I'm curious if there is legitimate arguement for spending $175 plus

dollars
on an Astral piece?

jdj

Professional Target

"Double_J" writes:

There is such a wide variety and price range for PFD's. As a new boat owner
I'm curious if there is legitimate arguement for spending $175 plus dollars
on an Astral piece?

The only things I worry about with PFD's are fit and floatation. If it fits
well enough that I have mobility and it's suitable floatation, then it works
for me. I don't mind buying the less expensive ones, as long as they do
what they're supposed to do.

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin
Jon C

Double_J wrote:
There is such a wide variety and price range for PFD's. As a new boat owner
I'm curious if there is legitimate arguement for spending $175 plus dollars
on an Astral piece?

jdj

Go to the shop and try on PFD's until you find the one that fits you
best. I was lucky and found a nice Stohlquist that was on clearance.

If I'm spending $175 on a PFD it better put me back in the boat
automatically if I have to bail.
Brian Nystrom

Double_J wrote:
There is such a wide variety and price range for PFD's. As a new boat owner
I'm curious if there is legitimate arguement for spending $175 plus dollars
on an Astral piece?

Find a PFD that fits and offers the features you want. Don't pay for
anything that you don't need. There are lots of good PFD's in the $100
range. Unless you have a requirement for a "rescue" PFD, there's no
point in paying for one, since the extra features are of little or no
benefit for sea kayaking.

[Q] PFDs Eric General 9 May 31st 04 01:11 PM
PFD Statistics and Mandatory-Wear requirment proposal Mike McCrea Touring 44 April 8th 04 06:19 PM
Harmony PFDs? Scott Schneider General 2 March 18th 04 12:28 AM
Anyone using Sponsons? Tim Ingram General 12 February 28th 04 11:11 PM
Anyone using Sponsons? Brian Nystrom Touring 13 February 28th 04 11:11 PM