Default PFDs

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:56:05 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

If one fell across something the old padded style PFDs
might prevent a cracked rib or worse.

Cracked ribs are certainly an issue but usually not fatal, and of the
two cracked rib incidents that I've observed, both happened below
decks. No thanks on the padded PFDs.

In calm, settled conditions, PFDs above decks are a bit overkill in my
opinion. Just about everyone I know uses the self inflating harness
type when offshore or in rough conditions. In my opinion every boat
should have a swim ladder. Our trawler has an interesting
arrangement where the ladder can be deployed by someone in the water.

How about people just learn how to SWIM???? If you can't swim then stay off
the water.

Wilbur Hubbard