Default PFDs

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"HarryK" wrote in message
On 2/20/2011 10:51 AM, slide wrote:
On 2/19/2011 10:30 AM, CaveLamb wrote:
slide wrote:

Before you go further in this, though, I strongly suggest you try
retrieving someone from the ocean as if it were a MOB drill. Getting
someone on deck from most boats with significant freeboard is MUCH
more difficult than most people envision.

We practice all the time, slide.
But my boat has a sugar scoop stern with a drop down stern ladder.

Retrieving hats is harder...

Sugar scoop would make it MUCH easier. If you turn it around, you need
so ask why anyone would NOT wear a PFD. Comfort and style would be the
only reasons. Frex, when we sailed (and will again) we tend to go naked
if it's warm enough.
I had a sugar scoop transom on my old Parker. Not only did it make it
easier to board the boat from the water but it allowed a place for the
water to run out of the boat when I took on the ocassional greenie over
the bow. Some naysayers poo pooed the transom arrangement but the good
folks at Parker boats informed me that it was a safety feature.

Sugar scoop transoms are only successfully marketed to idiots. Why?
Because a boat that is really only 30 feet LOA can be cheaply marketed as
a 33-footer by virtue of the extra LOA the cosmetic sugar scoop offers.
IOW, people are stupid enough to pay 33-foot prices for a 30-foot boat.

After it dawns on them that they were suckered, then they come up with
all kinds of after-the-fact rationales for why the rip-off sugar scoop is
so great. Just who the hell do they think they're trying to fool? LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Almost ALL the modern blue water racers are built that way too.

You just proved my point. The sugar scoop is a way to cheat the rules just
like it cheats the hapless consumer into thinking he's buying a longer boat
than he's really buying.

Wilbur Hubbard