Default Cannibal

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:55:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:43:31 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:20:12 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:47:36 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:39:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
snippage
Given that I have lived for more than half of my life in Asia I
wonder
where you came up with your misconception that I ever intended to
go
further.
You expect me to believe your goal was a Bangkok backwater? Yah,
right!

But of course you don't have misconceptions you simply make it up,
unfortunately your blathering is simply "ignorance in action'.

Wilbur: The proper length for your dinghy oars is short enough to
fit
inside the boat.
ONE of the attributes of a proper-length dinghy oar is that it fits
into the
length of the dinghy. Get a clue and stop twisting my words.

I hadn't believed that you were actually as stupid as you just proved
yourself. I guess that proves that you should never underrate your
opponents abilities.

The "attribute" of an oar is that it reaches the water..... (Oars
originated for, and are still used today, as a devise to propel a
boat
(through the water). Certainly it may have other attributes such as
weight, shape of blade, material of which it is made, etc, but
fitting
inside the boat is not one of them.

Your argument is about as logical as saying that the mast should not
be longer then the length of the cockpit....because that
is where you want to keep it when you aren't using the sails.

Cheers,

Bruce
Ok... dumb question time... if the oar doesn't fit in the boat, what
the heck do you do with it when you're done using it? If you just
leave it hanging out, it seems to me it would get torn off or damaged.

Mine are in the oar bag.

Ok.. so, what happens when you get to the beach or where you're going?
Seems to me that you'd want to keep them in the boat and not sticking
out?

Why does a couple of feet of oar sticking out of the boat matter?

Best to lay them lengthwise and sticking out the bow. that way when
you go visiting they sort of fend your dinghy off that hard ol'
fiberglass.

Cheers,

Bruce

Wrong again, Brucie Poo. I'll repeat a previous post lest you ignore the
original which proves you to be a pretend sailor.

Do you know of the highly-respected cruising sailor named Eric Hiscock?

Certainly, you would have to admit that Sir Eric knew a thing or two about
dinghies and dinghy oars. Here is what he had to say about them in "Cruising
Under Sail" page 498:

"Oars ought to be as long as possible, provided they will lie within the
dinghy when not in use . . ."

Now, run along and attempt to impress the ignorant dock types and bar types
because you fail to impress those of us who actually sail and remain sober
enough to think straight.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock
was writing in an earlier time ("Wandering Under Sail" -1939) and who
died in 1986 I suggest that he was not writing about a rubber dinghy
which is a far different design from the small rowing boat that was
likely what Hiscock had experience with.

Now go and ask anyone who rows a boat on a daily basis. They will
simply laugh at you and row away as you have just exposed yourself as
yet another Sunday Sailor who (in spite of having read Hiscock) still
knows nothing of boats.

Just another example of your real knowledge about boats and sailing.
Cheers,

Bruce

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:55:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

[snip]

Certainly, you would have to admit that Sir Eric knew a thing or two

[snip]

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock

[snip]

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:43:08 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:55:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

[snip]

Certainly, you would have to admit that Sir Eric knew a thing or two

[snip]

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock

[snip]

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

(Particularly one that was said to have originated with someone
recovering a garter (:-)
Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

No, that's 'frogs'.

(Particularly one that was said to have originated with someone
recovering a garter (:-)
Cheers,

T'weren't easy for me to work out either, I just started by looking up
EH on Wikipedia, then I had to start with the whole honours thing. Fkin
can of worms that was. Elton John a 'Sir'?! Yet someone like EH, who
actually *did* something.... oh, let's just not go there.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

wrote:

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

No, that's 'frogs'.

I blush to argue but the saying "The wogs begin at Calais" was
originated by George Wigg, Labour MP for Dudley, in 1949. In a
parliamentary debate concerning the Burmese, Wigg shouted at the Tory
benches, "The Honourable Gentleman and his friends think they are all
'wogs'. Indeed, the Right Honourable Member for Woodford [i.e. Winston
Churchill] thinks that the 'wogs' begin at Calais.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog

wrote:

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

No, that's 'frogs'.

I blush to argue but the saying "The wogs begin at Calais" was
originated by George Wigg, Labour MP for Dudley, in 1949. In a
parliamentary debate concerning the Burmese, Wigg shouted at the Tory
benches, "The Honourable Gentleman and his friends think they are all
'wogs'. Indeed, the Right Honourable Member for Woodford [i.e. Winston
Churchill] thinks that the 'wogs' begin at Calais.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog

Had never heard that! How times change.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

wrote:

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

No, that's 'frogs'.

(Particularly one that was said to have originated with someone
recovering a garter (:-)
Cheers,

T'weren't easy for me to work out either, I just started by looking up
EH on Wikipedia, then I had to start with the whole honours thing. Fkin
can of worms that was. Elton John a 'Sir'?! Yet someone like EH, who
actually *did* something.... oh, let's just not go there.

Agreed! Some pathetic loser, gender-confused, rock and roller druggie gets
knighted and a man like Hiscock who was moral, accomplished, god-fearing and
worthy of respect gets ignored?

Something's dreadfully wrong with the system used to "honor" people with
knighthood. Elton John gives it a black eye for sure. But, then again, the
Queen is quite senile in her dotage.

urs added

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce" wrote in message
emptied ballast

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock
was writing in an earlier time ("Wandering Under Sail" -1939) and who
died in 1986 I suggest that he was not writing about a rubber dinghy
which is a far different design from the small rowing boat that was
likely what Hiscock had experience with.

Poppycock! Sir Eric knew more about sailing than you can ever hope to. He
was talking about rowing dinghies and not so abortion of an inflatable which
he could not and would not abide for all the obvious reasons. You must think
I have a rubber duck. I do not. My dinghy is constructed of GRP and is six
feel long. Six-foot oars is the max length for my dinghy as they will lay
inside just like Sir Eric recommends. You are the clown the attempted to say
it was nonsense to suggest oars should fit in the length of the dinghy. So,
stop trying to obfuscate, man up, admit your mistake and apologize for your
ignorant abusive tone.

Now go and ask anyone who rows a boat on a daily basis. They will
simply laugh at you and row away as you have just exposed yourself as
yet another Sunday Sailor who (in spite of having read Hiscock) still
knows nothing of boats.

Should I care about the opinion of some wannabe over that of a notable
expert like Sir Eric?

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:51:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
emptied ballast

[...]

Are you sure that you know what you are talking about?
For a very quick example, you refer to "Sir Eric Hiscock". He was
never knighted and never used that title.

did you really read the book? Of just see it in the window when
passing the store?

It is nonsense to suggest that oars short enough to fit inside the
boat is a major criterion for oar design. and arguing is simply
attempting to justify yet another stupid statements.

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:51:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
emptied ballast

[...]

My mistake. I was thinking he was knighted too just before he died. Like Sir
Robin Knox-Johnson and Sir Eric Hiscock. At any rate, he should have been
knighted. Maybe it was his wife, Susan? Dame Susan Hiscock???

did you really read the book? Of just see it in the window when
passing the store?

Of course I've read the book. Several times and it is in my library. Perhaps
you should acquire a copy and read it, too. It might help to dispell your
absurd notion that a sailboat is only transportation.

It is nonsense to suggest that oars short enough to fit inside the
boat is a major criterion for oar design. and arguing is simply
attempting to justify yet another stupid statements.

It is NOT nonsense! It is one of the necessary attributes according to
Hiscock and other authorities. Only a fool uses oars that extend outside the
ends of a rowing dinghy. Most any dinghy used by cruising sailors is eight
feet or more in lenght. Eight-foot oars will fit inside when no in use. Are
twelve-foot oars really better than eight-foot oars in an eight-foot dinghy?
C'mon - wake up.

Wilbur Hubbard