Default Cannibal

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:57:52 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Bruce,

I think you are right about him/her.

His/her mental masturbations are sort of interesting -
for a while.

But it quickly becomes tiresome.

From one of Rolf Harris' songs:

He's mighty like a rose
He wears his sister's clothes
We don't know to call him
But we think he's one of those

Political correctness in action. I believe that y'all have that back
there.

Cheers,

Bruce

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:41:16 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:26:37 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:20:12 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:47:36 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:39:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
snippage
Given that I have lived for more than half of my life in Asia I wonder
where you came up with your misconception that I ever intended to go
further.
You expect me to believe your goal was a Bangkok backwater? Yah, right!

But of course you don't have misconceptions you simply make it up,
unfortunately your blathering is simply "ignorance in action'.

Wilbur: The proper length for your dinghy oars is short enough to fit
inside the boat.
ONE of the attributes of a proper-length dinghy oar is that it fits into the
length of the dinghy. Get a clue and stop twisting my words.

I hadn't believed that you were actually as stupid as you just proved
yourself. I guess that proves that you should never underrate your
opponents abilities.

The "attribute" of an oar is that it reaches the water..... (Oars
originated for, and are still used today, as a devise to propel a boat
(through the water). Certainly it may have other attributes such as
weight, shape of blade, material of which it is made, etc, but fitting
inside the boat is not one of them.

Your argument is about as logical as saying that the mast should not
be longer then the length of the cockpit....because that
is where you want to keep it when you aren't using the sails.

Cheers,

Bruce

Ok... dumb question time... if the oar doesn't fit in the boat, what
the heck do you do with it when you're done using it? If you just
leave it hanging out, it seems to me it would get torn off or damaged.

Mine are in the oar bag.

Ok.. so, what happens when you get to the beach or where you're going?
Seems to me that you'd want to keep them in the boat and not sticking
out?

Ever wonder what the Kayak boys do with their paddles that are about 7
ft. long, and them with a cockpit that is an 18 inch hole in the top
of the boat.

Cheers,

Bruce

Sure... but you're not talking about kayaks that aren't in the water
behind a boat are you? If so, you'd take the paddle out and put it
somewhere, right?

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:38:40 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:39:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Go down to the harbor and have a look at any row boats that may be
around... or visit a collage and have a look in their boat houses...
Or google "correct oar length". Do you see any of them recommend that
ability to store inside the boat as an important factor in sizing
them.

Kind of like special ordering an outboard engine with a 12 inch
shaft... cause that is the size of the locker you plan to store it in.

Cheers,

Bruce

This was the first link for dinghy oar length with a google search...

http://www.answers.com/topic/dinghy-oars

"the typical yacht tender of 7 to 9 feet (2.1 to 2.7 m), they should
be about 6 feet (1.8 m) long"

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:48:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Ok... dumb question time... if the oar doesn't fit in the boat, what
the heck do you do with it when you're done using it? If you just
leave it hanging out, it seems to me it would get torn off or damaged.

Dumb question? Hardly. Smarter by far than these pretend sailors.

Ha ha. You know more about it intuitively than Bruce, stuck at the Bangkok
dock, does. See my post in reply to Bruce's arrogant but ignorant
contentions quoting Sir Eric Hiscock, a world famous cruising sailor whose
writing supports your perceptive observation.

You are a credit to your gender, mam.

Wilbur Hubbard

Well, I think you're right, and I think I'm right too... I just posted
a link from the first Google hit.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:49:45 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

If that's the case, then how
could it do damage to a boat that's sailing offshore? Second, it seems
like you should be able to handle high winds. Wouldn't you be prepared
for that? Why are you sleeping when there's a storm going on?

Believe it or not, sailing can be very tiring.
After a while the body is depleted and you just shut down.

Ok, but wouldn't you have someone to take over while you sleep? If you
get that tired, then maybe you need a shorter trip in better weather!

My boat sails 6 or 7 knots.
Weather can move in many times faster than that.

With modern weather forecasting we can pick our "window".
But that's no guarantee that the weather guessers will be right

The only perfectly safe way is to not go at all.
And that's just not acceptable.

The oldest prayer at sea still applies...

Dear Lord, my boat is so small,
and Your ocean so big...

Most of the boats abandoned while racing are later found floating - intact.
They were abandoned because the crew was exhausted to the point of having
no other choice.

No other choice than what? If the boat is still floating, why did the
people leave?

The crew is almost ALWAYS the limiting factor.

I believe you.

Richard... but you and your boat should have a margin of ability
several multiples of what "normal" wind would be wouldn't you? Does a
squall last so long that you would give out after a few hours? If so,
perhaps it's best not to go... as you said.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:01:50 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:
No other choice than what? If the boat is still floating, why did the
people leave?

Try this on for size, and then Google for participants own reports: URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Fastnet_race

I don't believe the people in this race were not prepared, nor the boats
in poor condition. The crews were just exhausted, and in fear for their
lives.

Further reading: Sydney to Hobart, 1998.

Justin.

From what I read, most of the deaths happened due to abandoning the
boats. Maybe if they had stayed with the boat.... ?

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:33:51 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:05:49 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:32:07 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:45:51 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:07:49 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:33:15 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:02:08 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

much snipped

Sorry, but I didn't understand even 1/2 of this. Maybe one should not
go sailing if you can't deal with the issues that come up, short of
being run over by a tanker or something?

Sounds pretty simple. Can you deal with a tsunami arrives with no
warning and kills some 5,000 people in your immediate area? A 60 MPH
squall that hits you at night?

Of course not. A couple of things occur to me. First, I thought a
tsunami was only dangerous near land. If that's the case, then how
could it do damage to a boat that's sailing offshore? Second, it seems
like you should be able to handle high winds. Wouldn't you be prepared
for that? Why are you sleeping when there's a storm going on?

snipped.

A tsunami, or any other wave is simply water in motion. Depending on
the length and speed of the wave, the amount of vertical movement is
generally dependant on the depth of the water it is moving in. So you
are correct to say that in deep water they don't have much height, but
simply saying "off shore" isn't a sufficient description as you can be
quite a distance "off shore" and still have relatively shallow water.
in among the S.W. Thai waters, where the Tsunami did the most damage,
waters are generally less then 100 ft.

A "Sumatra", which might be called a line squall in other parts of the
world, is a rather brisk wind that travels fairly rapidly and if at
night generally is bit of a shock.

In the case I mentioned I was sailing north along the E. Coast of
Malaysia on a fine moonlit night with about 5 K. wind. Then, within
only a few minutes it was blowing 60 miles an hour for about an hour.

As in the case of the Tsunami, it has been stated that it is the worst
natural disaster in Thai history. A bit hard to plan for. Squalls
occur, frequently with no warning, certainly not something you can
specifically prepare for other then in a general way that you know it
might blow a bit.

And I don't remember saying I was asleep when the squall hit.

Cheers,

Bruce

Not saying you were asleep. Sorry if I implied that.

As to water depth, in the middle of the ocean there's no dispute
right? No damage. So, you're claim is that in 100 ft of water, the
violence would be great? I recall hearing? reading? about people in
their sailboat in the harbor who rode it out by getting going, then
rescued a bunch of people. Seems to me you're safer moving and away
from the marina, which was my point.

You're saying you can't see a squall coming? You can't be prepared to
deal with it? It just happens and there's nothing that can be done?
Seems wrong to me....

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:17:17 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
news snip

And you certainly should know - Willie-the great Walmart Thief.

Urban legend. Returning defective storage batteries for warranty exchange is
not theft.

Wilbur Hubbard

What's wrong with a warranty exchange?? I don't get it. Wal-Mart is
pretty good about taking stuff back.. Home Depot took back cabinet I
bought that basically fell apart. All I needed was the receipt.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:28:18 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Whoa... you're a captain? That's so cool! That says a lot about you...
you have to pass all sorts of background checks if it's anything like
getting even a local government job like mine.

Thanks, I have an excellent security background having had a Top Secret
clearance for security work as a military policeman in the U.S. Army This
is why I am highly insulted being subjected to a government bureaucrat, dog
and pony, jump-through-the-hoops show. This is why I just said, NO! I've
never been arrested for anything. Never even had a speeding ticket. I can
even produce a valid birth certificate. Few, if any of the people who would
have me jump through hoops can claim the same. And, this in the name of
anti-terrorism, which is as much as accusing ME of being a terrorist threat,
while the government ignores actual terrorists and cries and agitates for
releasing them from Guantanamo Bay. Ludicrous!

Yes, and don't listen to Bruce, stuck at the Bangkok dock. He's just envious
of my greater qualifications. I qualified for and was duly issued a USCG,
Master of Steam or Motor Vessels of not more than 25 gross tons upon near
coastal waters; also operator of uninspected passenger vessels as defined in
46 U.S.C. 2101 (42) upon near coastal waters not to exceed 100 miles
offshore, which is way more than Brucie-Poo ever accomplished. Don't be
fooled by those envious people like Joe who claim that near coastal is less
than open ocean for everybody knows near coastal is where the hazardous
sailing takes place. Open ocean is a joke and the realm of autopilots.

That's where the rocks are... So, if you stay away from the rocks,
then you have one less thing to worry about I guess. Every story my
friend tells of mishap is in and around the marina or surrounding
area.

I don't get what's going on with the government... all this money
coming in, and the whole infrastructure seems to be falling apart. I
don't mind a few rules, but come on. Especially when it comes to
paperwork. You've already been through the checks, you've already
passed your exam (or whatever), so give the individual a break
already.

Job security for govt. pencil pushers! (no offense, not meaning you because
you actually get out of the office and do productive work).

Thanks! I have to write up stuff, but it's from actionable items...
red-flags, resolutions, follow-up recommendations. I'm sick of all the
money that seems to be frittered away on endlessly studying the mating
habits of magpies or whatever.

I like Captain.. as you say if it's nothing more than to annoy some
people. heh

A most wise and excellent choice, my dear.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

Bruce,

I think you are right about him/her.

His/her mental masturbations are sort of interesting -
for a while.

But it quickly becomes tiresome.

From one of Rolf Harris' songs:

He's mighty like a rose
He wears his sister's clothes
We don't know to call him
But we think he's one of those

Political correctness in action. I believe that y'all have that back
there.

Cheers,

Bruce

Yup.