Default Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:15:29 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Justin C wrote:
In article , Jessica B wrote:
This was the first link for dinghy oar length with a google search...

http://www.answers.com/topic/dinghy-oars

Whenever answers.com shows up in Google search results I always skip it
in search of something authoritative. answers.com is an advertising
company, it's revenue is generated by displaying adverts to *you*. They
have answers for just about anything, they don't care whether the
answers are any good, they just want you to visit and see the ads.

Be more critical when judging sources of information, they're not all as
they may seem.

Justin.

I want my oars long enough to row the boat well.
That's priority one.

And, for what it's worth, the blades snap off leaving the maple rod
of the oar - short enough to stow inside the boat.
But I'd rather bag them assembled.

It is possible to make oars that can be disassembled but the
commercial versions are pretty shoddy.

I've had several "rubber ducks" and whether my karma is bad, or
something else is wrong but they all developed leaks with astounding
frequency, so I have built various hard dinghies which all seemed to
work (for me) much better (at least they don't leak :-), but they do
tend to be heavy to handle. My last one (went with the sail boat) I
built out of 3 mm ply and covered it inside and out with 200 and 400
gm glass cloth. I could pick it up (on the jetty) by myself and it
easily carried Me, the wife and 80 Liters of water with no problems.

And it had room for proper oars :-)

Cheers,

Bruce

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:28:18 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..

snip

Whoa... you're a captain? That's so cool! That says a lot about you...
you have to pass all sorts of background checks if it's anything like
getting even a local government job like mine.

Thanks, I have an excellent security background having had a Top Secret
clearance for security work as a military policeman in the U.S. Army This
is why I am highly insulted being subjected to a government bureaucrat,
dog
and pony, jump-through-the-hoops show. This is why I just said, NO! I've
never been arrested for anything. Never even had a speeding ticket. I can
even produce a valid birth certificate. Few, if any of the people who
would
have me jump through hoops can claim the same. And, this in the name of
anti-terrorism, which is as much as accusing ME of being a terrorist
threat,
while the government ignores actual terrorists and cries and agitates for
releasing them from Guantanamo Bay. Ludicrous!

Yes, and don't listen to Bruce, stuck at the Bangkok dock. He's just
envious
of my greater qualifications. I qualified for and was duly issued a USCG,
Master of Steam or Motor Vessels of not more than 25 gross tons upon near
coastal waters; also operator of uninspected passenger vessels as defined
in
46 U.S.C. 2101 (42) upon near coastal waters not to exceed 100 miles
offshore, which is way more than Brucie-Poo ever accomplished. Don't be
fooled by those envious people like Joe who claim that near coastal is
less
than open ocean for everybody knows near coastal is where the hazardous
sailing takes place. Open ocean is a joke and the realm of autopilots.

That's where the rocks are... So, if you stay away from the rocks,
then you have one less thing to worry about I guess. Every story my
friend tells of mishap is in and around the marina or surrounding
area.

Yes, they say it's usually not the water that puts a boat in jeopardy but
rather the hard stuff around the edges. LOL! Any old fool can pilot a boat
in the open ocean. Heck, there's nothing out there to hit. Many big ships
put the damned things of autopilot and nobody is even keeping a lookout when
on the open ocean and this is the so-called shipping lanes where there IS
some little traffic, at least. Goes to show you have to try pretty hard to
have a collision out there. So, when some pretend sailor makes light of a
near coastal license it just demonstrates a lack of understanding of where
the real challenges are and where it takes real knowledge to cope.

I don't get what's going on with the government... all this money
coming in, and the whole infrastructure seems to be falling apart. I
don't mind a few rules, but come on. Especially when it comes to
paperwork. You've already been through the checks, you've already
passed your exam (or whatever), so give the individual a break
already.

Job security for govt. pencil pushers! (no offense, not meaning you
because
you actually get out of the office and do productive work).

Thanks! I have to write up stuff, but it's from actionable items...
red-flags, resolutions, follow-up recommendations. I'm sick of all the
money that seems to be frittered away on endlessly studying the mating
habits of magpies or whatever.

Has anybody ever offered you a bribe to look the other way on something?

Wilbur Hubbard

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:57:52 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Bruce,

I think you are right about him/her.

His/her mental masturbations are sort of interesting -
for a while.

But it quickly becomes tiresome.

From one of Rolf Harris' songs:

He's mighty like a rose
He wears his sister's clothes
We don't know (what) to call him
But we think he's one of those

Political correctness in action. I believe that y'all have that back
there.

Yup.

Not yup! He left out 'what' in the third line. Duh! More senile dementia
setting in?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bob" wrote in message
The idea with the TWIC card is to ensure that all people
with access to port infrastructure areas, docks, builldings, etc.,
have proper security credentials.

It's entirely possible that our friend in question has some sort of,
uhhh, "issue" in his past that would preclude security authorization.

I have to agree Bruce.
Bob

Then that makes both of you Rubes incorrect.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:30:04 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

Why do they charge $100 for that
card ..TIWC? Seems like it's kind of over the top. What does it get
you?

It gets you a fancy ID card that has all of your biometric data,
including fingerprints, encoded on to an internal chip. All people
involved in public transportation are now required to have one.

And the Coast Guard officers couldn't care less about even looking at the
damned thing. They know it's a farce. They respect the Master License they
issue but they reject the redundant TWIC card. Why? Because the stupid
bureaucrats don't give them scanners for the biometric chip. So what good is
it?

LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bob" wrote in message

What wilbur is saying is that he has a 25 GRT Master most likely
INLAND. This means that ALL of his credible Sea Service was on vessels
15 GRT. One day over 15 GRT would get Willbur a 50 GRT Master.

Do you have reading comprehension problems. Just what don't you understand
about "NEAR COASTAL"? Near coastal is not for the INLAND WATERWAYS. Ever
heard of a line of demarcation? Western Rivers. The Huey P. Long Bridge.
Sheesh, Bob!

Its a rather easy test.

Wrong! More people fail than pass at least the first time around.

The problme that WIlbur is ranting about to
provide a smoke screen for his lack of credible tonnage is now the
USCG and TSA (TWIC) require a significant background check. If you
have a DUI or "other" events that may place you in a security risk
catigory and scuttle your Captiains license. Heck, there are even new
and increased HEALTH requirments that list drugs such as high blood
preasure and others which will deny a renewal. Oh, there are also body
mass index (BMI) requirmenst. In other words., those fat ass coonasses
down south may get denied a renewal cause their so fat.

No DUIs, no parking tickets, no speeding tickets, no moving violations no
traffic violations of ANY sort. Got a ticket on my bicycle a few years ago
but beat it in court - the judge dismissed it.

BP is in the normal range, no other maladies, eyesight 20-40. No color
blindness. I'm 5'10" and weigh 165 so there goes your fattie fantasy. I
could kick your sorry butt anytime in a foot race, bike race or swim race.

Those fat coonasses don't include Joe as I've seen a photo or two of him and
he's ugly but not fat. LOL! Makes me wonder, though, how Ms. Terry managed
to get a Master's license - surely she must be half blind to abide Joe's
puss!

snipp

And I support increased requirments completely. It time to keep the
drug users and fat asses off the water.

Agreed! But that is already covered in the USCG Masters Licence. No
redundant TWIC card is necessary for those things.

Its real simple. I get my 200 GRT Master NC/1600 Mate Near Coast and
all is well. a few years later im so obease I cant get up a ladder, my
blood preasure is so high Id blow, im an alcoholic etc... in other
words Im not fit for duty.

Duh, that's why you must retake the physical and drug tests at every
re-issue. You sound like you don't have a clue about it. Maybe Joe is right
when he says you're a fake??

I say make the rules MORE strict!

Freaking Commie!

so why are you republicans,SLAP

Freaking LIBERAL COMMIE! Take a hike!

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:55:46 -0800 (PST), Bob

snip

And I support increased requirments completely. It time to keep the
drug users and fat asses off the water.

Somehow I don't get the impression that Capt. Wil is either a drug
user or a fat ass.

Thank you, Jessica, and well-said. As usual, you are more perceptive than
the so-called sailors. Beauty AND brains - so wonderful.

Wilbur Hubbard (wishing I were about forty years younger)

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:43:08 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

No, that's 'frogs'.

(Particularly one that was said to have originated with someone
recovering a garter (:-)
Cheers,

T'weren't easy for me to work out either, I just started by looking up
EH on Wikipedia, then I had to start with the whole honours thing. Fkin
can of worms that was. Elton John a 'Sir'?! Yet someone like EH, who
actually *did* something.... oh, let's just not go there.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:54:30 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

Dinghy Dock? And you've spent all this time nattering on about Marinas
and now you admit to anchoring off to avoid paying dockage and then
sneaking into the dinghy dock??

More proof that you never go anywhere. If you were a real cruiser you would
use dinghy docks regularly when anchored in distant harbors. What do YOU do?
Haul your dinghy ashore on private property? Probably. Some dinghy docks
charge a small fee and some are free - either way trying to change the
subject about the stupidity of having long oars protruding over the ends or
sides of a dinghy just won't cut the mustard.

Wilbur Hubbard

Err... What "distant harbours are you referring to? The places I
anchor don't have "dinghy docks", they only have a beach. Private
property? Whatever are you talking about, there is no one there but
me.

Ah Willie... the penny drops - you are talking about the coast of
Florida. Not the far flung harbors and bays of the world. But I do
suppose that reading books give one a bit of a restricted viewpoint.

By the way, Willie-boy, the secret of not having your oars stick out
of your dinghy isn't to cut the oars off, a much better solution is to
build a longer dinghy.

Oh, but I forgot, you lack the skills to built a dinghy so you buy a
"rubber duck".

Cheers,

Bruce

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:51:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
emptied ballast

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock
was writing in an earlier time ("Wandering Under Sail" -1939) and who
died in 1986 I suggest that he was not writing about a rubber dinghy
which is a far different design from the small rowing boat that was
likely what Hiscock had experience with.

Poppycock! Sir Eric knew more about sailing than you can ever hope to. He
was talking about rowing dinghies and not so abortion of an inflatable which
he could not and would not abide for all the obvious reasons. You must think
I have a rubber duck. I do not. My dinghy is constructed of GRP and is six
feel long. Six-foot oars is the max length for my dinghy as they will lay
inside just like Sir Eric recommends. You are the clown the attempted to say
it was nonsense to suggest oars should fit in the length of the dinghy. So,
stop trying to obfuscate, man up, admit your mistake and apologize for your
ignorant abusive tone.

Are you sure that you know what you are talking about?
For a very quick example, you refer to "Sir Eric Hiscock". He was
never knighted and never used that title.

did you really read the book? Of just see it in the window when
passing the store?

It is nonsense to suggest that oars short enough to fit inside the
boat is a major criterion for oar design. and arguing is simply
attempting to justify yet another stupid statements.

Now go and ask anyone who rows a boat on a daily basis. They will
simply laugh at you and row away as you have just exposed yourself as
yet another Sunday Sailor who (in spite of having read Hiscock) still
knows nothing of boats.

Should I care about the opinion of some wannabe over that of a notable
expert like Sir Eric?

Wilbur Hubbard

Cheers,

Bruce