Default Cannibal

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:52:09 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
snip

Why does a couple of feet of oar sticking out of the boat matter?

Spoken like a clueless dolt! An oar or oars sticking out of a dinghy can
catch under the dinghy dock on a rising tide and capsize the boat. Duh! Just
one of the many hazards that are eliminated with oars that fit inside the
length of the dinghy.

Perhaps some of you pretend sailors need to sail once in a while to learn
how things really go down?

Wilbur Hubbard

Dinghy Dock? And you've spent all this time nattering on about Marinas
and now you admit to anchoring off to avoid paying dockage and then
sneaking into the dinghy dock??

I, not being as well travelled as most here, have seen two types of
dinghy dock. One is floating, and therefore rises with the tide, along
with the dinghy, negating Wilbur's objection. The other is a
concrete/stone harbour arm, there's definitely no 'under' one of those!
Of what type is Wilbur referring?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:55:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

[snip]

Certainly, you would have to admit that Sir Eric knew a thing or two

[snip]

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock

[snip]

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

In article , Jessica B wrote:

Ok, but wouldn't it be more convenient to just keep them out of harms
way in the dinghy if you can?

A dinghy can flip, and an inflatable, in a strong breeze can become a
kite, then you lose everything that's in it, thwart and all.

Don't people put their whole dinghy on
their boats?

Yeah, but they're heavy (or can be) and damn difficult to handle -
there's not a lot of room on most boats what with masts, shrouds, and
spinnaker poles. If you're only going a few miles, and the conditions
are OK then it's just easier to tow. I would never tow one far, there's
drag, wear and tear on both your boat and dink... I've heard of some
people towing to arrive at their destination and look to the dink and
find it not there!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

In article , Jessica B wrote:

This was the first link for dinghy oar length with a google search...

http://www.answers.com/topic/dinghy-oars

Whenever answers.com shows up in Google search results I always skip it
in search of something authoritative. answers.com is an advertising
company, it's revenue is generated by displaying adverts to *you*. They
have answers for just about anything, they don't care whether the
answers are any good, they just want you to visit and see the ads.

Be more critical when judging sources of information, they're not all as
they may seem.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Justin C wrote:
In article , Jessica B wrote:
This was the first link for dinghy oar length with a google search...

http://www.answers.com/topic/dinghy-oars

Whenever answers.com shows up in Google search results I always skip it
in search of something authoritative. answers.com is an advertising
company, it's revenue is generated by displaying adverts to *you*. They
have answers for just about anything, they don't care whether the
answers are any good, they just want you to visit and see the ads.

Be more critical when judging sources of information, they're not all as
they may seem.

Justin.

I want my oars long enough to row the boat well.
That's priority one.

And, for what it's worth, the blades snap off leaving the maple rod
of the oar - short enough to stow inside the boat.
But I'd rather bag them assembled.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:23:02 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:05:11 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:30:04 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

Why do they charge $100 for that
card ..TIWC? Seems like it's kind of over the top. What does it get
you?

It gets you a fancy ID card that has all of your biometric data,
including fingerprints, encoded on to an internal chip. All people
involved in public transportation are now required to have one.

Sounds like it gets the government a whole lot more than they need for
people who take a few people sailing. I guess I could see it for a
tanker or a ferry or something. I really wouldn't want all that info
on a chip.

Typical government stuff, one size fits all. We had a joke in the
army that you could have any color shirt you wanted as long as it was
green. That joke obviously predates today's fancy desert camouflage
outfits. The idea with the TWIC card is to ensure that all people
with access to port infrastructure areas, docks, builldings, etc.,
have proper security credentials.

It's entirely possible that our friend in question has some sort of,
uhhh, "issue" in his past that would preclude security authorization.

Bob Bob is offline

Hi Bob... well, I don't know...

Halvorson design: Freya 39
Bob Bob is offline

*The idea with the TWIC card is to ensure that all people
with access to port infrastructure areas, docks, builldings, etc.,
have proper security credentials. *

It's entirely possible that our friend in question has some sort of,
uhhh, "issue" in his past that would preclude security authorization.

I have to agree Bruce.
Bob

rOn Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:20:32 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 06:06:36 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:25:33 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:50:52 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

Actually in my case it was the trough that was the most noticeable. I
was sitting on the cockpit combing and watching a catamaran and a mono
hull, both headed toward Phi Phi and discussing, with my wife, which
one would get there first when suddenly the horizon was only a very
short distance away, perhaps 50 - 100 meters. By the time I could say,
"What the...." the horizon was back to normal and we saw the wave hit
an island some 3 miles east of us.

So, nothing much happened on your boat. You noticed it, but that was
about it.

Jesus, what did you expect? Had the wave arrived an hour earlier it
would have crushed the boat against an island and neither I or my wife
would be here to talk about it.

The discussion started with your talk about being "prepared" for
calamities at sea. I was simply trying to demonstrate that not
everything can be prepared for.

Bruce, I don't think I said that. I specifically talked about getting
run over by a tanker. Everyone deserves to be lucky from time to time!
I'm glad you and your wife are ok!

I recall hearing? reading? about people in
their sailboat in the harbor who rode it out by getting going, then
rescued a bunch of people. Seems to me you're safer moving and away
from the marina, which was my point.

Yes, we had some friends anchored in a bay on the S.W. side of Phuket
and when the water suddenly went away, as they described it, they, a
bloke and his wife, started the engine and knocked the lock off the
anchor winch and ran the chain overboard and headed for the ocean.
They said that they got far enough off shore by the time the crest got
there that they just bounced up and down a bit.

Sounds like they were prepared and did the right thing...?

Nope. In the first place they didn't know what was happening when it
occurred. All they knew was that "the water went away", as they said.
Their reaction was simply to get into more water so if it continued to
"go away" they would still be floating. Starting the engine... well
you turn the key, so perhaps leaving the key in the switch (as nearly
all Yachties do) is being prepared. Running the anchor chain out to
get free of the anchor is actually being un-prepared as most people
advocate tying a rope to the last link in the anchor chain so if you
do run the chain all the way out you don't lose it.

So, they were unprepared but did the right thing? Sounds like they
were prepared to do the right thing! lol

In the situation I described it will knock your boat down - lay it
over on its side - which by itself is not particularly hazardous in a
well found sloop (single masted boat), but will certainly make you sit
up and take notice.

Well, hang on a sec... I don't know what reef pulled in means, but
when the wind blows against the sail, the boat leans over... knocks
down? Ok. Then what? It comes back up or does it keep going? What
happens if you release all the sails? If it happens at night, then ok,
you got hit the first time, but then.... ?

A knock down occurs when the wind against the sail comes from, broadly
speaking, either side of the boat. If the wind suddenly blows hard
enough to overcome the weight of the boat, the boat tips over.
However, as the boat tips over (heels) the grip of the rudder on the
water diminishes and there is less force holding the boat on its
heading.

What happens is that the wind forces the boat over on its side, but
then the ruder is not holding the boat on its course so it turns into
the wind, which decreases the wind pressure on the sails and allows
the boat to right itself.

Ok, so it rights itself, and hopefully everyone is still on the boat,
along with the stuff...

We released all the ropes when we brought them down at the end of the
day... the sails and ropes just flapped around a lot and the boat
stopped moving.

Yes, because you released the "sheets" the ropes that hold the sail
against the wind pressure and allot it to just flap - like a flag.

Ok... well, if I got heeled, then I would release those sheets!

In the book the Perfect Storm, the sailboat seems to take it long
enough for the people to be rescued, and it seems like the winds in
that storm are much higher than in a squall.

I think that you are a bit confused as "The Perfect Storm" is a book
about the swordfishing boa, the Andrea Gail, out of Gloucester,
Massachusetts, that sank in 1991, in a large storm in the N. Atlantic.
Cheers,

Bruce

There was definitely a sailboat.. Satoria I think.

You are correct. The Satoria was in the book. The boat where the
Captain said there was no emergency but the crew called in an
authorized Mayday whereby the Coast Guard came out and rescued them
forcing the Captain to abandon the boat (according to statement by his
son). The owner/Captain searched for and found the boat essentially
undamaged since abandoned and sailed it on to Florida (I believe).

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

[snip]

Certainly, you would have to admit that Sir Eric knew a thing or two

[snip]

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock

[snip]

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

(Particularly one that was said to have originated with someone
recovering a garter (:-)
Cheers,

Bruce