Default Cannibal

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:55:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:43:31 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:20:12 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Jessica B wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:47:36 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:39:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
snippage
Given that I have lived for more than half of my life in Asia I
wonder
where you came up with your misconception that I ever intended to
go
further.
You expect me to believe your goal was a Bangkok backwater? Yah,
right!

But of course you don't have misconceptions you simply make it up,
unfortunately your blathering is simply "ignorance in action'.

Wilbur: The proper length for your dinghy oars is short enough to
fit
inside the boat.
ONE of the attributes of a proper-length dinghy oar is that it fits
into the
length of the dinghy. Get a clue and stop twisting my words.

I hadn't believed that you were actually as stupid as you just proved
yourself. I guess that proves that you should never underrate your
opponents abilities.

The "attribute" of an oar is that it reaches the water..... (Oars
originated for, and are still used today, as a devise to propel a
boat
(through the water). Certainly it may have other attributes such as
weight, shape of blade, material of which it is made, etc, but
fitting
inside the boat is not one of them.

Your argument is about as logical as saying that the mast should not
be longer then the length of the cockpit....because that
is where you want to keep it when you aren't using the sails.

Cheers,

Bruce
Ok... dumb question time... if the oar doesn't fit in the boat, what
the heck do you do with it when you're done using it? If you just
leave it hanging out, it seems to me it would get torn off or damaged.

Mine are in the oar bag.

Ok.. so, what happens when you get to the beach or where you're going?
Seems to me that you'd want to keep them in the boat and not sticking
out?

Why does a couple of feet of oar sticking out of the boat matter?

Best to lay them lengthwise and sticking out the bow. that way when
you go visiting they sort of fend your dinghy off that hard ol'
fiberglass.

Cheers,

Bruce

Wrong again, Brucie Poo. I'll repeat a previous post lest you ignore the
original which proves you to be a pretend sailor.

Do you know of the highly-respected cruising sailor named Eric Hiscock?

Certainly, you would have to admit that Sir Eric knew a thing or two about
dinghies and dinghy oars. Here is what he had to say about them in "Cruising
Under Sail" page 498:

"Oars ought to be as long as possible, provided they will lie within the
dinghy when not in use . . ."

Now, run along and attempt to impress the ignorant dock types and bar types
because you fail to impress those of us who actually sail and remain sober
enough to think straight.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sir Eric may well have said/written that, however, given that Hiscock
was writing in an earlier time ("Wandering Under Sail" -1939) and who
died in 1986 I suggest that he was not writing about a rubber dinghy
which is a far different design from the small rowing boat that was
likely what Hiscock had experience with.

Now go and ask anyone who rows a boat on a daily basis. They will
simply laugh at you and row away as you have just exposed yourself as
yet another Sunday Sailor who (in spite of having read Hiscock) still
knows nothing of boats.

Just another example of your real knowledge about boats and sailing.
Cheers,

Bruce

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:43:26 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

OK, Brucie-poo, you just are not the authority you seem to think you are and
you are definitely ill-informed as to the matter of length of oar.

Do you know of the highly-respected cruising sailor named Eric Hiscock?

Certainly, you would have to admit that Sir Eric knows a thing or two about
dinghies and dinghy oars. Here is what he has to say about them in "Cruising
Under Sail" page 498:

"Oars ought to be as long as possible, provided they will lie within the
dinghy when not in use . . ."

Uh huh! Just as I said. There, take THAT and ruminate upon your abject
ignorance and laughable arrogance.

Wilbur Hubbard

I think you are repeating yourself as I just answered your first
message on that subject.

Cheers,

Bruce

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:52:09 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
snip

Why does a couple of feet of oar sticking out of the boat matter?

Spoken like a clueless dolt! An oar or oars sticking out of a dinghy can
catch under the dinghy dock on a rising tide and capsize the boat. Duh! Just
one of the many hazards that are eliminated with oars that fit inside the
length of the dinghy.

Perhaps some of you pretend sailors need to sail once in a while to learn
how things really go down?

Wilbur Hubbard

Dinghy Dock? And you've spent all this time nattering on about Marinas
and now you admit to anchoring off to avoid paying dockage and then
sneaking into the dinghy dock??

Cheers,

Bruce

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:50:15 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Actually, it's even better than that. His boss and I are sort of lunch
buddies going on a couple of years... it's kind of a long story, but
the short version is that I was on this commercial inspection project
in full "inspector" regalia (hard hat, gloves, steel-toe boots - all
of which were required, but I rarely go on these sites any more)..
anyway.. he ran over my foot in the dirt lot (no damage, just some
bruising) and he's still feels bad about it. I didn't go on workers
comp, which meant I didn't have to fill out a report, so you get it.

So, we're having lunch and I mention about stickers on vehicles...
isn't that against policy? Well, no, it isn't as long as it's
tasteful. So, I said, would it be ok if I put a Support our Troops on
the bumper... no problem. It's going on tomorrow.

I love it! So, what are you going to say to your boss then he tries to
write you up for putting the sticker back on? "You'd better talk to YOUR
boss because he told me it was OK." That'll larn him!

It was perfect. I actually just walked in there before I left (leave
at 3pm), and sort of casually said, hey about that sticker thing... I
was talking to Greg and he seemed ok with it, but I can remove it if
you really think it's a problem. So, he says, oh yeah, Greg said
something to me about the (his Mystery Spot) sticker, but didn't say
to take it off. So I guess just don't worry about it. (I don't think
anyone complained. I think he just had a hair up his butt about
something and I happened to be there.)

snipped some more

Blinky? I've not heard that term... for a Ham radio??

That's "Binky". You know one of those little fake nipples mothers let their
babies suck on so they don't cry.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...ELAID=61283337

Ah.. ok. Never heard it called that. No kids and I limit my time with
my nieces.

snip

Funny that you mentioned the flat-screened TVs. You'd be surprised at how
often a discussion of flat-screened TVs comes up here. It's so ludicrous
reading so-called sailors REAL priorities - television. Some of them even
have satellite receivers aboard. All the more reason for them to run
smelly
and noisy generators multiple hours each and every day. Anything but
sailing
yet they claim to be sailors.

Yeah, I just don't get it. There are so many things to see and do...
how about some real life!

Don't hold your breath . . . They don't call them 'sheeple' for nothing.

I didn't even have to say PMS! They just assumed.

But, you can only get away with it once a month provided they have halfway
decent memories. ;-)

That's true, but that "once a month" could be a week! I know some
girls who would remove said pound of flesh if someone looks at them
the wrong way.

We do good things most of the time. The commercial people mostly get
it. Don't f*ck with me or your life will be a living hell. (Actually,
they seem to listen to me more than the residential customers.) The
residential ones think they know everything! I had one a couple of
weeks ago.. a diy job. The guy hooked up furness fine, but never
attached the ducting that goes from the air intake to the unit... a
good inch gap - so it was sucking in air from God knows where, so the
chief red-flagged it. I found it, so I got "blamed" by the customer. I
said, hey, would you like me to look around for some more things?

You should get yourself a nice pair of black, shiney jackboots and a riding
crop - really intimidate them. LOL!

Heh... Well, I prefer to go down the easy road first. I don't need the
stress. I mean if they want to blow up their house, all their
possessions, kids, wife, car... fine with me, as long as I told em and
wrote it down.

Three... whoa! It must take a lot to bring up the big ones... even
just 10 ft. of chain isn't light.

Even with the chain they only weigh about 35 pounds each. That's not much
really. Breaking them out of the bottom, if the holding is good, is the most
work but usually the boat does all that work. Just snub up the chain until
it's straight up and down and let a few waves roll under the hull and the
boat pulls the anchor out of the mud or sand.

Well, heck! Even I can lift 35 lbs! Snub? Ok... like shorten it, so
you're pulling until you're right over it. Got it. The guy with the
Catalina had this monster-looking anchor, but we didn't use it.

The eyes bigger than their stomach crowd with their forty and fifty foot
boats must use anchors bigger and heavier than they can manually weigh -
fifty or sixty pound anchors and lots of heavy chain - so they are forced to
use windlasses which use electricity to pull up the ground tackle. These use
tons of electricity and are very heavy and require heavy wire because of the
high amperage loads. So, where does all that electricity come from? You
guessed it, it comes from smelly, pollution machine diesels generating
electricity at all hours. Overly large sailboats are really stupid, IMO. Any
time a boat is so large that one strong man cannot manually work the various
systems, it tells me it's an exercise in mental retardation on behalf of the
owner.

Yes... I think he had all of it chain or well all I could see. It went
into a hatch, so I don't know. There was definitely chain though.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:12:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
snip

This from a bloke that brags a photo of himself sitting in a tiny boat
petting a pussy?

A kitty cat is a proper addition to a sailing yacht as they will eliminate
any mouse or rat that might come aboard from who knows where.

there is room for you, and a rat, on the yellow dinghy?

With pretensions of being a political pundit now? Truly the land of
the fruits and the nuts.

I have always represented a voice of conservative reason.

As for being a sailor both Joe and I have at least some reason to call
ourselves a "sailor" as we have both sailed somewhere. Willie-the Poo,
conversely, has never sailed anywhere and rates himself an expert.

Wrong! Both of you are demonstrable failures. Only in your liberal minds,
where trying is more important than succeeding, can you fool yourselves into
believing that, since you tried, then your failures are secondary. Talk
about a warped way of thinking.

In the real world, trying is something everybody must do. Trying is not the
goal but only represents the first step towards the goal. If one falls down
after the first step one should not pat himself on the back and say, "Oh
well, that didn't go so well but I'm successful at walking because I tried."
WRONG! If one falls down after the first step, one should say, "Well, I'm
sure a failure at that. But, I can learn from failing so what have I learned
so the next step I take doesn't result in failure all over again?"

Errr, Willie, I'm here in Thailand, and you are still anchored in
Florida? And somehow this indicates that you are the sailorman and I'm
not.....

Something wrong with your logic I'm afraid.

You and Joe, being liberal drones, don't think this way. You equate trying
with success. You have set the bar way too low and will always remain
failures because of your liberal thinking that try = success. You are
incapable of learning from failure because you don't and won't man up to
your failures. Such an untenable belief system. I just couldn't live like
that.

Liberal drones? what ever gave you that idea? I certainly would like
to see your evidence to support that statement..

Or did you read it in a book?

Wilbur Hubbard

Cheers,

Bruce

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:12:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
snip

This from a bloke that brags a photo of himself sitting in a tiny boat
petting a pussy?

A kitty cat is a proper addition to a sailing yacht as they will eliminate
any mouse or rat that might come aboard from who knows where.

Do you have a kitty?! I love cats, but don't have any pets right now.

With pretensions of being a political pundit now? Truly the land of
the fruits and the nuts.

I have always represented a voice of conservative reason.

I think if you left off the word conservative, you would have said it
all. Seriously though... I just don't get this liberal nonsense,
especially what goes on in a place like this. How about some reasoned
approach to finance?? Hello?

[...]

You got a get back up and try again. That's my experience anyway.

You and Joe, being liberal drones, don't think this way. You equate trying
with success. You have set the bar way too low and will always remain
failures because of your liberal thinking that try = success. You are
incapable of learning from failure because you don't and won't man up to
your failures. Such an untenable belief system. I just couldn't live like
that.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:33:07 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

rOn Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:35:45 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:34:52 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:39:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
m...
snippage

Given that I have lived for more than half of my life in Asia I wonder
where you came up with your misconception that I ever intended to go
further.

You expect me to believe your goal was a Bangkok backwater? Yah, right!

But of course you don't have misconceptions you simply make it up,
unfortunately your blathering is simply "ignorance in action'.

Wilbur: The proper length for your dinghy oars is short enough to fit
inside the boat.

ONE of the attributes of a proper-length dinghy oar is that it fits into the
length of the dinghy. Get a clue and stop twisting my words.

snip

And, whatever happened to your kill file? It seems to have as many holes in
it as "Red Cloud's" transom. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

AS I previously mentioned, Willie doesn't have a clue and simply makes
things up. I do not keep a boat in Bangkok (Willie (the master mariner
obviously thinks "Bangkok" is a country), never have. The boat is
presently located at Phuket Island, Thailand. Previously it was at
Langkawi Island, Kedeh, Malaysia, and before that in the Singapore
Straits, where I anchored for three years.

I could regress even more but why bother as Willie-the master mariner
has never been over here, knows nothing about it, and I might as well
be writing Bucuresti, Trieste, or Vladivostok for all he knows.

Cheers,

Bruce

Please don't regress! I think you mean digress.

regress ~ noun rare
1. the reasoning involved when you assume the conclusion is true and
reason backward to the evidence.

Cheers,

Bruce

That's probably the reason it sounded so, ummm... foolish.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:17:17 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
news snip

And you certainly should know - Willie-the great Walmart Thief.

Urban legend. Returning defective storage batteries for warranty exchange is
not theft.

Wilbur Hubbard

Nope. Referring your Internet posted, detailed, instructions about
stealing a bottle of booze from Walmart....

You have a very selective memory.

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

Well, someone could get snagged on it or it could get snagged on
something. Do you really need that extra couple of feet to power up?

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:52:09 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
snip

Why does a couple of feet of oar sticking out of the boat matter?

Spoken like a clueless dolt! An oar or oars sticking out of a dinghy can
catch under the dinghy dock on a rising tide and capsize the boat. Duh! Just
one of the many hazards that are eliminated with oars that fit inside the
length of the dinghy.

Perhaps some of you pretend sailors need to sail once in a while to learn
how things really go down?

Wilbur Hubbard

Or, even just scratch the sides... You could put fenders to protect
the boat from the dinghy, but they wouldn't protect it from the oars.
They might even get broken off.