Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 20:15:29 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

Justin C wrote:
In article , Jessica B wrote:
This was the first link for dinghy oar length with a google search...

http://www.answers.com/topic/dinghy-oars

Whenever answers.com shows up in Google search results I always skip it
in search of something authoritative. answers.com is an advertising
company, it's revenue is generated by displaying adverts to *you*. They
have answers for just about anything, they don't care whether the
answers are any good, they just want you to visit and see the ads.

Be more critical when judging sources of information, they're not all as
they may seem.

Justin.

I want my oars long enough to row the boat well.
That's priority one.

And, for what it's worth, the blades snap off leaving the maple rod
of the oar - short enough to stow inside the boat.
But I'd rather bag them assembled.

It is possible to make oars that can be disassembled but the
commercial versions are pretty shoddy.

I've had several "rubber ducks" and whether my karma is bad, or
something else is wrong but they all developed leaks with astounding
frequency, so I have built various hard dinghies which all seemed to
work (for me) much better (at least they don't leak :-), but they do
tend to be heavy to handle. My last one (went with the sail boat) I
built out of 3 mm ply and covered it inside and out with 200 and 400
gm glass cloth. I could pick it up (on the jetty) by myself and it
easily carried Me, the wife and 80 Liters of water with no problems.

And it had room for proper oars :-)

Cheers,

Bruce