posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default 35s5 Heart of Gold

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
From Consumer reports October 2008 About the EVO:

Ride: stiff, Poor, noisy, "frenetic highway behavior"
Steering: too light, oversteers, frenetic highway behavior
Interior plastics are drab and cheap looking
Seats do not adjust for height, ditto steering wheel
Pedals too close together
Driving position sucks

0 to 60: slower than the BMW, Subaru
1/4 mile: slower than the BMW and Subaru
Turing circle: greater than BMW, Subaru, VW
Avoid maneuver: slower than the BMW
MPG: less than BMW, VW
Interior fit and finish: poor
Luggage: room for 1 suitcase
Front shoulder room: 54.5 inches
front leg room: 42 inches
front head room: 6' 3"
(Bob's head will get the pounding it deserves)

Consumer Reports Rankings (Oct 2008)
BMW 135i 97
Mazdaspeed3 90
Impreza WRX STi 89
Mazda RX-8 86
VW R#@ DSG 89
Lancer EVO GSR 83

You forgot... looks like crap!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
..
..
big snip of boring automobile stuff

Yup! The only negative comments in the industry about the Evo came
from Consumer Reports. They also got the worst performance out of ALL
of the cars they tested. They also think Bose makes great speakers.
If you'd like some insight into how the Evo stacks up against the STI,
watch this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZPB4aSyq40

Group, I am sorry but I feel a rant coming on about sparked off by all this
boys-toys supercar stuff which for some time I have been marking 'all as
read' because it bores me..
To me, a car is merely a means by which myself, my family and our gear and
supplies get to the marina where our fine yacht awaits us.
To Bobsprit who has, it would seem, owned several cars without actually
doing anything spectacular with any of them, his car is the latest of the
many status symbols with which he has regaled this group.
This is a sailing group and he still posts under the heading of '35.5 Heart
of Gold' with no indication at all that he has even sailed the thing this
year although we do know that when he did it was only for an hour or two out
in LIS.
Moreover, because it was the latest thing, he bought some sort of high-tech
BLACK racing mainsail for his boat. Since he never races, such a sail is
purely a talking point on a family yacht and totally unnecesary for the
limited family sailing he does and because of its colour it will surely
destroy itself from UV light exposure before very long. Racing people will
supersede a sail for other reasons before that happens.
So the pointless car he boasts about will soon also be old hat and the
latest toy will take its place. Witness also his boasting about his home
cinema and sound system. Can't remember what he once said he played on it
but I do recall that it did not seem to justify a top-of-the -range audio
system.
But I must be fair. He does seem to know something about cameras and when he
was enthusing about the Nikon D200 and reminding us that the 'glass' was the
important thing he seemed to make some sense so I bought one for my wife
together with a Nikkor 28-105 and a Nikkor 70-200 lens and with this gear
she is taking some fantastic photos. But then he reverted to type and
instead of taking pictures with that excellent gear he went all-out for the
next new camera Nikon came out with and with that takes snapshots of his
little son.
The guy is obsessed with owning the latest of everything and yet never seems
to hang onto anything long enough to get the best out of it. I think is is
really sad.
Right, having got that off my chest, I will have a look to see if anyone is
posting about sailing.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Edgar...calm yourself. I'm now shooting with a D700 and I have the
very best lenses. I can shoot nicely with lesser lenses, but it's fun
to use the high end glass because it's more flexible.

I shoot on a regular basis. These were done last week with the boat
camera...a cheap Nikon D40:

http://ghostlight.zenfolio.com/p138832069/slideshow

Cheers,

RB
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:09:35 -0500, jlrogers±³©
wrote:

From Consumer reports October 2008 About the EVO:

[...]

A sure indication the Evo owners are far more discerning than
others...

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:34:56 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

OzOne wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:14:11 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Capt. Rob wrote:
Last time a factory EVO was entered in the WRC was 2005, it didn't do
all that well. Which rally was the win in Bob, or was it a win?

Uh, Earth to Marty...come in Marty! Do you read?

The Evo X is new. It has nothing to do with earlier cars. New engine,
suspension, tranny and sheet metal.

Getting a bit strident there Bob.

Yes I do read, you posted "It has better handling and a real race
history that equals pedigree missing from the DB9", and now you say it's
"new", sort of contradictory.

You could buy a travel guide for Tahiti and learn a good deal. You could
buy a Gauguin and learn something different.

Cheers
Marty

Huh?
It's new and has a history of previous models having great success.

What is the contradiction.....Oh I see, you've withdrawn.

Very good Oz, now try "It has *nothing* to do with earlier cars..."
apposed with your "history of previous models".

Clear 'nuff?

Cheers
Marty

What's clear that 'HISTORY' refers to previous models!

The Evo X has not yet been fully developed and is just entering the
very early stages of its career.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

Ozzy, you'll never get them to understand. What's funny is that think
I'm bragging about a car that is essentially not designed to be a
status car. If we wanted that there are plenty for the same price.
Instead the Evo is a speciality car for the enthusiast market. It's a
car that impresses them alone. It's not for folks like Donal and Marty
who see a DB9 has the height of automotive engineering because of the
sheet metal or leather. For the enthusiast driver a DB9 is in a class
below the Evo, GT-R or 911 AWD Turbo. You can't explain it to them
anymore than you can make Donal believe that expensive stuff he'll
never own isn't always the best.

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
It's not for folks like Donal and Marty
who see a DB9 has the height of automotive engineering because of the
sheet metal or leather.

Now there you go, behaving just like your politicians and spouting lies.

I said no such thing. You of course free to and prove otherwise. Until
such proof is forthcoming, you remain, a simple liar.

Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 18 Sep, 01:11, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
You reveal your character by choosing the Evo.

Yep.....

Someone who loves driving most of all. The same type of person who
prefers a Miata to a Z4 or a Lotus Elise over a BMW 335i. Or a 135i
over a Infiniti G35s.
Donal, you need many more lessons before you'll understand what a
specialty car is and the kind of person who buys one. It's about
handling refinement, feedback and balance. It's not about raw power.
That's why the poor DB9 trails most serious sports cars in every
respect important to driving. And that's why a Evo X bests the Aston
in many respects on handling finesse and why the GT-R bests in EVERY
respect. The Aston is a AMC Gremlin compared to the GT-R.

And before you say anything more to wet your own bed, consider that
the GT-R is capable of 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and can handle a skidpad
WELL over a full G. It handles even better than the Evo X. No car made
today can touch it. And guess what? The build quality is higher than
the DB9.

You are probably right.

Take your wife out in your Evo, or your GT-R. Let's
face it, she won't be impressed!

Earlier tonight, when I parked up, my wife gave me a kiss.

It was a kiss that said "We deserve this".

You haven't been kissed like that, have you?

Oz???

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You saw a DB9 being driven by James
Bond and you wet yourselves. Then you drove home in your Pontiacs or
Jeep or old-man-sedan. So what are YOU driving? Don't bother being
embarrassed. It's really too late for that.

Tonight, after I finished our drive, my wife gave me
a big kiss. She doesn't understand fast cars,
but she appreciated the leather and power.

What does Suzanne think about your Evo?

regards

Donal
---

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 19, 6:16 pm, wrote:
On 18 Sep, 01:11, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

[...]

Your wife kisses you for the kind of car you drive? You have now
crossed firmly into the most pathetic zone since poor Captain Neal
left these boards.

I've never honestly felt sorry for anybody here....maybe Old Thom when
he decided he was too old for his boat. But I do seriously pity you.

RB