posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Heart of Gold Has some Fun!

Of course I pretty much knew it would happen when we left the slip.
About the only area that wasn't dark gray with T-storms was right above
us. My ex-girlfriend's father recently died, so this was a short.sail
for her and her sister. Winds were only topping off at 15-17 knots or
so, and I hauled up the big main. Naturally 20 minutes later we really
needed to reef, but I just cracked off on a broad reach. I think it was
only blowing 16-18 knots, but I knew there would be more. The Long
Island Sound can really get boiling on some days. No big swells, but
some nasty and confused chop. North of us was a large dark mass of
cloud cover and I could tell we'd probably get a piece of it. Suzanne
took the helm and I managed to reef down. I never watched to see the
windspeed after that. We were really cooking, probably making 7 knots,
catching some spray and it was really fun! Then, WHAM!!! A nice T-Storm
whacked us, layed the boat over for a few moments. Suzanne, the girls
and Thomas went below for the foulies. Thomas was having the most fun,
yelling a dramatic "Whoaaa!!" whenever the boat heeled sharply.
The 35s5 was really fun in these conditions, even when the brief rain
came. I doubt winds went much above 30 knots, but it was a blast. She
felt light, yet sure and responded to the helm nicely. A couple of
times I headed up too much, then fell off. You could really feel as she
shot off downwind.
More storms were coming I'm sure, but we only had a couple of hours to
sail. When we got back to the slip my friend was just getting ready to
head out with his Tayana. I told him about our bit of action and he
said they'd gotten a bit of rain and almost no heavy winds like that.
This morning he e-mailed me and said he'd been hit with 40 knot winds
when he got to Execution rocks. Ya gotta love the Long Island Sound on
days like that!
BTW, other boats were out sailing and I saw more coming out to play as
we packed up the main. Great sailing day...just way too short!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Down dropt the breeze, the sails dropt down,
'Twas sad as sad could be ;
And we did speak only to break
The silence of the sea !
All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody Sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the Moon.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion ;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Gilligan wrote:
Down dropt the breeze, the sails dropt down,
'Twas sad as sad could be ;
And we did speak only to break
The silence of the sea !
All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody Sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the Moon.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion ;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean

Oh seagull i'm grieving to find you relieving,
Yourself on the Heart of Gold,

I presume you've good sight, and it's hard to see by this light,
That Heart of Gold is not a latrine.

God gave you the oceans for your little motions.

If you must hear a holler, go find a trawler.
Tell King I sent you his way.

Joe

Heart of Gold Website-Updates Capt. Rob ASA 17 August 22nd 06 12:31 AM
Heart of Gold Website Capt. Rob ASA 14 August 19th 06 02:21 AM
Heart of Gold and the Genset Capt. Rob ASA 18 August 6th 06 12:30 PM
Here's one for Maxi....Heart of Gold Thom Stewart ASA 0 August 1st 06 03:11 AM
Heart of Gold = Full of Crap! Bob Crantz ASA 0 June 26th 06 03:42 PM